This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A Test For Gluten-intolerance?

terribeth07

terribeth07 Apprentice

Is there some kind of test for gluten intolerance? I have had a blood test for celiacs & that was normal.

Any help would be appreciated! I have been suffering with problems for 5+ years & don't know how much more I can take. My insurance is aweful so I can't afford to keep going back to the doctor every time I've been sick. I've tried gluten free & can't tell if it's helping or not (could be cross contamination or I could have another food allergy on top of it or could not be gluten at all). Need HELP!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

Can you post the results from the blood tests? What is your diet like? You said you're trying gluten-free. We could give you some pointers if you could post what a typical's day food is like.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

There is no scientific test for gluten intolerance, not yet. I'm hoping one day they figure this out. Testing for celiac, is not testing for gluten intolerance. For now, testing for gluten intolerance is a self testing procedure. If you eliminate gluten from your diet, and you begin feeling better, then you should stay away from gluten.

terribeth07 Apprentice

I don't know the results but I know that the blood work came back normal.

I have been avoiding all wheat, barley, rye & oats for atleast 2-3 months (I've lost track of time). I don't really have a typical days diet.

I am still getting sick probably atleast once a week. Sometimes just nausea & other times full upset stomach.

I was just hoping if someone could tell me if there's a test they can do for gluten intolerance. The doctors seem to have given up trying to diagnose me & are just saying it's irritable bowel which I don't accept as a diagnosis. I think a lady at work had some test done for gluten intolerance & they had like some cotton swab things that she had to put in her mouth at different times of the day for one day & showed that she had gluten intolerance. My doctor has never mentioned any test for it.

chiroptera Apprentice

Enterolab does stool testing for gluten sensitivity/intolerance. It is very easy and you get "everything done" at home. They just send you the required test kit. They can also test for the gluten sensitity genes. Also for yeast, soy, egg and casein sensitivities. Some people don't feel Dr. Fines work is valid but for our family everything that we tested for and came back is spot on and eliminating the offending foods and has done wonders for myself and my three children. I would use them again if the need arises.

nu-to-no-glu Apprentice

You may want to find an allergist who practices treating food intolerance. In my experience, once a GI doc diagnoses you with IBS, they just try to treat the symptoms with medication. It sounds like you may be doing better if you are only having reactions once a week?

There is a blood test that can determine and test over 96 food intolerance. A simple blood draw, then sent to a lab and mixed with certain foods to see if the levels of antibodys determine a reaction, both immediate and delayed. One lab is called Genova Diagnostics, you might want to google and see what you can comeup with.

From reading around, a lot of people also have dairy intolerance. They seem to go hand in hand. Maybe you could eliminate it as well just to see if it helps. Hope this helps.

Archived