This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bush's Chili Beans

holiday16

holiday16 Enthusiast

I bought a can of this the other day because the label did not list any gluten ingredients. I went to double check on the Bush's website to make sure it was o.k. and it lists it as containing gluten. I couldn't figure from the label what ingredient it could possibly be in so I did some google searches and found labels on-line for the same product and they list wheat flour on the ingredients, but that is not on my can.

Is it possible the formulation has changed and the website for Bush's has just not been updated yet? Has anyone else found the Bush's Best Chili Beans without wheat flour on the label? I know it had it in before because I would periodically check chili beans and had never found any without wheat in and was shocked when I picked up the can and found no wheat on the label.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

For some reason I do the same thing :lol: I check the chili beans label too! I have not seen a chili bean can that is safe. Maybe call Bush's, there might be a label mistake. I don't think I would eat until I know for sure. I tend to be of the "better off safe, than sorry" philosophy.

Hez

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Ooh, I'm hoping they eliminated the wheat. I used to eat these before Celiac and loved them!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

You should call! They are very clear about gluten issues and this is the ONLY product they have that contains it. I, too, hope they've eliminated it.

I got glutened by these early on. A Russian friend makes a great bean dish and previously had made the beans from scratch. After I had eaten TWO servings, his wife was telling me how much easier it was now with the "chili beans."

larry mac Enthusiast

Walmarts chili beans do not list wheat in the ingredients, that's what I use for taco soup. They're not as tasty as Bush's IMO (and to the best of my recollection), but they're OK. I don't buy any Bush products now just on principal. I've found I really like Ranch Style brand Pinto Beans (not ranch style beans per se). They are simply great pinto beans. Bush can "kiss my grits". :D

best regards, lm

Lisa Mentor
Walmarts chili beans do not list wheat in the ingredients, that's what I use for taco soup. They're not as tasty as Bush's IMO (and to the best of my recollection), but they're OK. I don't buy any Bush products now just on principal. I've found I really like Ranch Style brand Pinto Beans (not ranch style beans per se). They are simply great pinto beans. Bush can "kiss my grits". :D

best regards, lm

How about sharing your taco soup recipe lm? Pretty please?

Wenmin Enthusiast

This is not Larrymac's recipe, but it's one I have available and have used for years. I skip the corn in the recipe, becasue I can't have it.

Taco Soup

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef

1 pack taco seasoning mix

onions, bell peppers, shallots, etc.

15 oz. can corn (undrained)

15 oz. can green beans (undrained)

15 oz. can kidney beans (undrained)

10 oz. can rotel tomatoes (undrained)

15 oz. can pinto beans (undrained)

15 oz. can ranch style beans (undrained)

1 large can V-8 juice

Directions:

In large pot, saut

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

holiday16 Enthusiast

I called the company and left a message since it was after hours and they called me back today and left a message on my machine. They said they did remove the wheat from the chili beans to make it gluten free, but have not changed their statements yet since it is so new and there are so many old products still on the shelf that still have wheat listed. So, as long as you find chili beans without wheat listed they are gluten free! I was at the store the other night and found both on the shelves, but most still had wheat so you do have to be careful. Sounds like it was a fairly recent change.

holiday16 Enthusiast

They said they are not changing the statements yet because there are still so many on the shelf that do have wheat, but if you find a new can without wheat on the label it does not contain gluten. According to the message that was left on my machine by them they reformulated it to make it gluten free.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

topics merged.

Juliebove Rising Star

Woo hoo!

larry mac Enthusiast
How about sharing your taco soup recipe lm? .....

I got this recipe from a lady in front of me at the check-out line at Walmart. I noticed she had all these ingredients, was curious, and just asked her what she was making (I know I do weird stuff like that).

TACO SOUP:

~ 1

Lisa Mentor
I got this recipe from a lady in front of me at the check-out line at Walmart. I noticed she had all these ingredients, was curious, and just asked her what she was making (I know I do weird stuff like that).

TACO SOUP:

~ 1

Archived