4 replies to this topic

#1 babysteps

babysteps

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:41 PM

I was at an event catered by Hemingway's (of Killington, VT - the event I went to was in NH) last weekend - they took *excellent* care of me.

They knew ahead of time that there would be a gluten-free diner, and they adjusted wonderfully. They even cooked 2 kinds of gluten-free bread that my (non gluten-free) spouse thought tasted great! That was a first!! They had thoughtful substitutions where necessary (not just 'leave it out' or 'put it on a slice of cucumber instead'). Where there were look-alike items (with a lamb course, most folks got a zucchini-wrapped timbale of cous-cous; mine was filled with rice) they confirmed as they put the plate down that mine was indeed gluten-free.

Here is the Hemingway's website - it notes that their "from scratch" meals can take 2 or 3 hours to eat (!) so I'm sure they are pricey, but if you're in the area and are looking for a special occasion meal, I highly recommend them based on my off-site catered experience.
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

thanks for posting this- I love that area and may just go out of my way to try them. It sounds awesome!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#3 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

I see you're in MA - on the way home we had clams at Farnham's (in Essex) - they did differentiate between my gluten-free order of clams and spouse's (he had onion rings that aren't gluten-free) - so definitely clarify when ordering that you want gluten-free, couldn't tell if that meant a separate fryer for me or actually different batter.
The woman at the counter said that some days you can get gluten-free onion rings, so might be worth a call ahead if you're in the mood for a fried food fest!
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#4 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

Woodman's in Essex does this too! I didn't know Farnham's did. This is very good to know. I actually had a fried food fest last Friday with my dad at Woodman's.

Gotta love gluten free options! I almost dropped dead when I found out I could have French fries and fried clams again!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Woodman's in Essex does this too! I didn't know Farnham's did. This is very good to know. I actually had a fried food fest last Friday with my dad at Woodman's.

Gotta love gluten free options! I almost dropped dead when I found out I could have French fries and fried clams again!

Hey Mtndog.....I was a t Woodman's on Saturday, doing the same thing! :D I was craving their fried clams so hubby and I headed out and we totally pigged out on fried food. I honestly think their food is the best fried food on the planet. It is a little expensive but considering it is fresh off the boat AND gluten-free, I will gladly pay what is costs to eat there. I also love the fact they serve beer and wine.

I have never heard of Farnham's but will keep them in mind on my next visit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: