This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Heart Palpitations Caused By Foods?

Becky72

Becky72 Newbie

Ok, i am new here and i hope i can find some answers. This is my story...In luly of 04 i was very sick and was given some antibiotics,after taking the antibiotics i noticed I was getting heart palpitaions very often. I then started noticing i was having these palpitations everytime i had a drink(which was normally a margarita) or whenever I ate sugar. I went to my doctor in dec of 04 and she ran alot of tests and i had an echo and ekg. The only abnormal results on my bloodwork was i was anemic(for the first time in my life!) and my gliadin antibody was high...25 with neg being<11,equivocal being 11-17 ans pos being >17. I do have all of the abdominal problems, i have been diagnosed with severe reflux since i was 14 and had a scope done and diagnosed with 6 ulcers in my esophagus. I am just wondering if anyone else out there gets heart racing from foods they eat? Could my heart be racing from gluten?Laying down also makes the palpitations worse and sometimes i sweat and am very thirsty.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Have you had your thyroid checked? That was one of my symptoms and I have graves(hyperthyroid)

My dad also gets that if he gets too low on blood sugar.

Becky72 Newbie

But did you only have heart racing when you ate certain foods?Other than that my heart rate is fine. Thank you for such a quick response, i see i came to the right place for answers!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Well when I have alot of caffeine or chocolate my heart races but other then that no....your palpitations could be cause by food. Before going gluten free whenever I had bread or something I would start to feel short of breath...gluten can cause the problems you are having and so can other foods your body does not tolerate.

missla3000 Rookie

Hy becky - I am new too - and yes One of the symptoms I notice every day for me is a shortness of breath after a meal and palpatations too - mostly when having chocolate and caffine - and alcohol too much of it and I actually pass/black out, it doesnt take a lot for me to get these symptoms! Its awful isnt it, the best thing for palpatations is breathing tecnniques and sit with your arms up in the air or on top of your head, thats what I was told anyway - hope that helps!

rmmadden Contributor

A timely question for me! I have been sick the last week from 2 different gluten episodes and I was wondering the same thing.

I've had a few palpatations I think from getting glutened. I've noticed that my heart rate does go up but my blood pressure stays pretty normal. I've also noticed that when my gastritis is acting up then I get a stray beat. I can feel the gas bubble coming on and the stray beat makes me panic for a second or two but It goes away.

Best of Luck

Cleveland Bob B)

mela14 Enthusiast

Whenever I ingest gluten or anything else I am intolerant too my heart races. It happens right ater eating it and takes a while for it to go away. I get light headed and dizzy. It's a weird feeling!

I usually make my hubby put his hand on my chest to see if he feels it too! most of the times he does..

I think it's all part of the "allergic reaction".

I use this as a clue to not eat whatever caused it anymore.

good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Once I got heart palpitations really bad for like one week. They were really scary. I went online and read that calcium, magnesium, and potasium help reduce heart palpitations. So... I have been taking a calcium and magnesium supplement, and eating lots of banannas and haven't had them bad since. The only time I really notice them now is if I get super stressed or if I drink a lot of cola. Hope this helps!

missla3000 Rookie

Hy becky - I am new too - and yes One of the symptoms I notice every day for me is a shortness of breath after a meal and palpatations too - mostly when having chocolate and caffine - and alcohol too much of it and I actually pass/black out, it doesnt take a lot for me to get these symptoms! Its awful isnt it, the best thing for palpatations is breathing tecnniques and sit with your arms up in the air or on top of your head, thats what I was told anyway - hope that helps!

Archived