23 replies to this topic

#16 antmimi

antmimi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:34 AM

I've had an allergy to rice for years. That is my reaction any time I get riced. I also go into anaphylaxis. Frustrating.

Stay away from rice. Oh thanks for the tips about starchy foods. Potatoes may be upsetting my stomach. What about fruits like pears etc???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mela14

mela14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

I'm staying away from the rice...I had to learn the hard way. even the one peice of rice bread toasted in the morning was making me sick and bloated.

the real killer for me though...is SOY!!! I am soooo sick today from gluten-free cookies that I had yesrterday........they ar e"made in a facility that uses soy, eggs, dairy, peanuts and tree nuts"! all the things that do me in...but soy really kills me. ......between the muslce pain, vertigo, racing heart, fatigue.....I feel like I've been poisoned! :angry:
sorry to vent today...........but I feel awful and am tired of going on like this. :(
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#18 antmimi

antmimi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

I understand... I am hurting too and am tired of being asked, "How are you doing?" when the answer is always the same. I keep thinking, I am only 33. What is wrong with me???? I am too young to be this sick.

I am so sorry that this is hurting you so.

#19 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:03 PM

thankssssssssss...i'm sorry that you are having a hard time too.
Let's pray that tomorrow is a better day!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#20 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

I feel for you. I'm beginning to think that I can't eat anything too!!! Maybe we just have to give our guts some time to heal for the bloating to go away. Do you also get reflux, burping and the hiccups? I couldn't stop the burping/reflux yesterday. I'm not sure if it is actually worse after going gluten-free!!! Maybe I'm just more conscious of it....I don't know what to think anymore. I've had the hiccups really loud for years and had no idea.

An interesting fact for the women. Have any of you ever had high prolactin levels?? I have, and yesterday I actually came across a link that indicates that there is a link between high prolactin levels and celiac disease. Go figure!!! My doctor hasn't even made that connection.

Skar
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#21 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:54 AM

:)

Mel,

It's great to read your posts even while I'm sad about these rough times for you.

It means more people are also going through it that aren't posting, and also helps me in my rougher times.

Sounds like the nutritionist is better than the doctor but even then perhaps you need to be assertive with her sometimes.

The run-around I had from various blase elements got to me in the end, I have done a lot of second-guessing in my time.

Interestingly in the "publicity and publications" section someone reviewed the Gottschall book. I haven't read the book but it appears she made misleading comments about healing of celiac disease. Paradoxically, though, the actual regime might be exactly right for some of us for a period. Almond flour is part of it I believe.

Foods like aubergines, oranges, potatoes and tomatoes are rich in salicylates, my nutritionist said that if I don't have a problem with aspirin (which I don't) then I've no problem with salicylate-rich foods (thankfully).

About rice - and chicken - I found them difficult to digest before, and still do. Small quantitities and also minced up fine, often help me. That's simply my experience.

Ener-G make rice bran in a box, which I add to things for extra fibre. Also I occasionally get Higher Living Ragishira (finger millet powder with cinnamon) to add to yoghurt, it claims to be fibrous but is very fine. (Maybe you don't have those brands in the US.)

The moral for me at any rate is, there are things I have trouble with if they are in big lumps but not if broken down fine - chicken and rice and also beef steak.

A few months is early days - give it a couple of years - maybe this advice isn't much comfort!

Are you taking digestive enzymes or stomach acid supplement? I digest better if I take one of those at the start of a meal/the first meal of the day, the latter can be got in the US from Solgar. I no longer take them regularly but would still probably benefit from it every now and again. The B12 situation has also been discussed in this context.

#22 antmimi

antmimi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

That is so wierd. I was getting the hiccups a lot about 3 weeks ago.

One piece of advice that really has helped me (and the medicine I am on too), is not to eat after 6:00. I can't do that. I've tried. But usually can eat by 6:30.

The meds I am on keep me from eating more than 3 times a day too. And I read today that that acutally helps the stomach not produce excess acid. Any food will cause the stomach to produce acid.

#23 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

Potatoes may be upsetting my stomach. What about fruits like pears etc???

I can't eat potatoes because of the starch. I can't eat any tree fruits like pears, apples, oranges because they are high in fructose. Berries, grapes and melons seem to be fine with me. I have been eating 5-6 really small meals (no more than 2 cups) a day for the past week or so and it has really helped with the bloating.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#24 junevarn

junevarn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

HI all,

My doctor sas there is something called molecular mimicry where the body can mistake concentrated soy for gluten. I guess the molecules are similar. He said not to eat tofu or tempeh. I also stay away from all fermented products cause I have a lot of antibodies to mold. :blink: I eat very little concentrated starchy products right now like rice. I can have a little potato and a fruit or two. Today I am very bloated. :P

I think its like everyone says, it takes a bit of time for the gut to heal, and the top part of the villi is what digests sugars. Rice and starches convert to sugar. I am limiting startches today.

Hope this helps.
June :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: