This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Struggling...

Evie4

Evie4 Apprentice

So I am 100% gluten and dairy free now since I got my labs results Sep 18th and this round of my cyclic IBS is worse than it has been in years. I've had so much pain and fatigue and just feeling crappy that I missed a couple days of work this week

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Just want to let you know, My cyber should is here to lean on. Whine away! ;)

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'm sorry you're feeling bad! My cycles are the worst too. My dr finally put me on continuous birth control to stop them.

You could be one of those people who starts out crappy then gets better over time. You might want to lay off the gluten-free processed foods for a bit. Those alternate grains can be rough on your digestion while you're healing. Back off to basic whole foods for a bit and see if things don't improve.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Outside of removing gluten and dairy, how has your diet changed?

Are you now consuming soy milk where you weren't before?

Are you now eating significantly more corn or rice than you were before?

Are you getting less fiber because you used to get fiber primarily through whole wheat/oats/etc.?

Are you eating more of any particular foods?

You may have other intolerances - either foods that you really can't eat without feeling bad, or foods that you have to limit how much you have in order to avoid symptoms. (Soy, for instance, I think affects many people this way. How much soy generates symptoms varies significantly, of course.)

Evie4 Apprentice
Outside of removing gluten and dairy, how has your diet changed?

Are you now consuming soy milk where you weren't before?

Are you now eating significantly more corn or rice than you were before?

Are you getting less fiber because you used to get fiber primarily through whole wheat/oats/etc.?

Are you eating more of any particular foods?

You may have other intolerances - either foods that you really can't eat without feeling bad, or foods that you have to limit how much you have in order to avoid symptoms. (Soy, for instance, I think affects many people this way. How much soy generates symptoms varies significantly, of course.)

Thanks for responding everyone. I have been careful to not introduce new foods into my diet and I actually decided to stay away from gluten-free baked goods for now for the very reason that I read of other people having problems with gluten-free flours. I probably have eaten more fruit than usual and likely more rice. I'm avoiding soy--I think it can cause issues with me. Very little corn and been avoiding legumes just to be safe. I cut down coffee comsumption to one cup and do a rice milk/coconut milk mix for "cream". I've cut tea out for months now. Nothing with yeast in the past few weeks. No prepared foods. I did have potato chips week before last, but I decided I'd give those up for now too (don't really need those calories and I only get them a couple times a year anyway).

I guess maybe the coconut milk could be a no-no. I sure hope not. I use it in cooking occasionally, so it isn't new to my system. I'll keep my eye on it. My capuccino is my one indulgence...I'll be so sad if I can't have at least that.

Evie4 Apprentice
I'm sorry you're feeling bad! My cycles are the worst too. My dr finally put me on continuous birth control to stop them.

You could be one of those people who starts out crappy then gets better over time. You might want to lay off the gluten-free processed foods for a bit. Those alternate grains can be rough on your digestion while you're healing. Back off to basic whole foods for a bit and see if things don't improve.

I thought about the pill before...hoping it might help. But when I did take it in my twenties, even the lowest doses made me sick in the morning. I nailed my symptoms to the hormone fluctuation...not fair! :angry: Heaven only knows what might happen when "the change" comes!!!!!!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I actually am on the Nuva Ring now. I resisted but it's actually the best I've been on. It's gentle with low doses of hormones and you insert it once a month. Now that I'm getting older, dr wants me to have a vaginal ablation to stop my periods. I'm wondering what will happen to my hormones if I'm off all the stuff. Past experience has not been good!

Oh well, don't have to worry about it now. Can't afford it.

Take a look at the thread for the SCD diet. I'm not on it but I do follow some of it's ideas that have helped me. Maybe something on there will jump out at you and help you. I hope it does!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived