No replies to this topic

#1 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

I called President's Choice this morning to check on the ready to serve Cream of Three Mushroom soup. The fellow (Adrian) said that it was NOT gluten free. (It used to be gluten-free a year ago.)

The suspicious ingredients that prompted me to double check were chicken broth powder and natural flavour.

I don't think Adrian has a clue what gluten is, because he mentioned that the label said "contains naturally occurring glutamates". I said that was irrelevant. Was there any info on wheat or barley/malt? He said that the allergen list came up as containing gluten but only mentioned the modified corn starch as possibly having wheat. I said I doubted that, that if wheat were one of the ingredients it was required by law to have the word wheat on the label either in the list or afterward with in a bold "contains" line and therefore PC was violating a federal law. Was he sure there was wheat in this?

The upshot is I think Adrian needs more sleep or needs to be better informed on what his customer service computer is telling him and I'm still skeptical about whether or not this product contains gluten. My son probably wouldn't eat it anyway, but it's handy to have in case I need it as an ingredient in something.

Here's the product link and if any Canadians feel like calling and telling me the response they get, I'd really appreciate it. The number is 1-888-495-5111

http://www.president...id/175#reviews
Thanks.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: