This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Half Moons On Fingernails

Guest gfinnebraska

VioletBlue Contributor

THERE IS GLUTEN IN NAIL POLISH?

I gotta stop reading here. This is just getting depressing. Granted I don't use nail polish, but I have this fantasy of one day finding the time to have my nails done. Another fantasy shot down in mid-flight . . . :blink:

I have a similar thing and I know I didn't have it before realizing I had Celiac's. Don't really know what it is. The only thing i can think of is that the nail polish i was using wasn't gluten-free (OPI)- I just ordered some gluten-free nail polish from Honey Bee gardens online so we'll see if that makes a difference. Weird? Also, it sounds like it could be a fungus. I have one on one of toe nails and I've been using Fung-Off (I love that name ;):P and it has helped a lot. Keep me posted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
THERE IS GLUTEN IN NAIL POLISH?

I gotta stop reading here. This is just getting depressing. Granted I don't use nail polish, but I have this fantasy of one day finding the time to have my nails done. Another fantasy shot down in mid-flight . . . :blink:

Lots of people here speculate about things that might possibly be making them sick, but it doesn't mean you have to be paranoid about every little thing. I'm pretty sure someone posted once that OPI is gluten-free. I don't do my nails often but I've never worried about gluten in nail polish.

VioletBlue Contributor

Paranoid no. But if most people are like me, there are things they've just never considered. I do a lot of paper mache work. It didn't occur to me until four months after I'd be diagnosed to email ModPog and ask if their product was gluten free. Thankfully it is. But, it's basically glue which is notorious for containing gluten and I knew that, I just didn't make the connection for four months.

I spent 44 years living a certain way, not worrying about certain things. Now I realize that I need to be cautious and not simply do what I've always done without thought. That's s hard lesson to learn.

Lots of people here speculate about things that might possibly be making them sick, but it doesn't mean you have to be paranoid about every little thing. I'm pretty sure someone posted once that OPI is gluten-free. I don't do my nails often but I've never worried about gluten in nail polish.
Mango04 Enthusiast
Paranoid no. But if most people are like me, there are things they've just never considered. I do a lot of paper mache work. It didn't occur to me until four months after I'd be diagnosed to email ModPog and ask if their product was gluten free. Thankfully it is. But, it's basically glue which is notorious for containing gluten and I knew that, I just didn't make the connection for four months.

I spent 44 years living a certain way, not worrying about certain things. Now I realize that I need to be cautious and not simply do what I've always done without thought. That's s hard lesson to learn.

Sorry if I came across like I was accusing you of being paranoid. What I was trying to say was I became paranoid about lots of things after I first started reading this board, and I realized eventually that although this is a really great resouce that helps you consider hidden sources of gluten, there are times when people suspect they've been glutened by something that turns out to be safe. Some nail polishes contain gluten but many don't, so you can sitll get your nails done if that's something you ever want to one day :)

That being said, to correct my previous statement about OPI, I just found this on another thread:

The following OPI products contain hydrolyzed wheat protein, which may have traces of gluten:

Acrylic Nail Base Coat

Designer Series Base Coat

Natural Nail Base Coat

Start to Finish basecoat, topcoat, and nail strengthener

Start to Finish, Formaldehyde Free Formula

Nail Envy, Original

Nail Envy, Matte

Nail Envy, Dry & Brittle

Nail Envy, Sensitive & Peeling

Nail Envy, Soft & Thin

At this time, all other OPI products are free of wheat, barley, rye, or oat extracts, and should therefore contain no gluten.

VioletBlue Contributor

Not a problem :D

After this weekend I think I may invest in nail polish though. My nails have gotten worse and worse the last year. I keep them relatively short for that reason now. Saturday I bent one nail back halfway through the nail. It hurt so bad and it will be weeks before it grows out. My nails used to be so much stronger than that. I'm thinking of looking for something that can give them some strength while I heal.

Sorry if I came across like I was accusing you of being paranoid. What I was trying to say was I became paranoid about lots of things after I first started reading this board, and I realized eventually that although this is a really great resouce that helps you consider hidden sources of gluten, there are times when people suspect they've been glutened by something that turns out to be safe. Some nail polishes contain gluten but many don't, so you can sitll get your nails done if that's something you ever want to one day :)

That being said, to correct my previous statement about OPI, I just found this on another thread:

• 2 weeks later...
little d Enthusiast

HI, Ya'll

WOW! I do have rigges on my nails always have as long as I could remember, I can grow my nails out but do chip easy. My moons I have on my thumbs 2nd and 3rd finger very visable, my first finger barly visabe and pinkys are faint. as far as depression yes I guess I don't know, anxiety that is defiantly a yes as long as I can remember I have always thought people have talked about me. Have had feeling that something was going on when nothing was really going on. But never gone to the doctor for anything. WOW who would have thought!

Donna

sickofit Newbie
whoa. this post hit me like a load of bricks. i've been wondering why i only have half moons on my thumbs. i seem to remember having half moons on my fingers at some point :).

when you said lines on your fingernails, do you mean raised ridges that follow the growth of the nail? i developed those a couple of years ago. hmmm...what else can you tell us about this?

i've made a few posts about my energy/stress issues, but here's a quick recap:

tired all the time

depression/anxiety

easy startling

crying when startled

inability to deal with stress (feelings of being overwhelmed and wanting to cry or hide)

weakness

etc...

this may sound odd, but these things don't feel psychological. they feel chemical, or hormonal. my rational mind knows the the depression/anxiety/stress reactions are silly, i just can't convince my body of that.

anyway, this might make some sense, especially since both my grandfather and my sister have pernicious anemia.

Wow, someone else crying alot! I have all of your symtoms but have been able to get control over the crying (someones for days straight) by eliminating sugar and simple carbs. I can now eat some if I eat with fiber and protein. Otherwise, can eat chips, potato or corn, and burst into tears in an hour over absolutely anything, even watching the news! I spent 6 months on a psychiatric ward when I was 16 (I'm now 60) and no one knew it was the candy bars I was eating all day to make myself feel better. They put me there as I would slit my wrists and cut myself to get the hurt out. Your rational mind is right on, but it is not silly, it is an imbalance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
Sue T Newbie

For glutenfreek:

You were asking about bumps on the back of your 7-year-old daughter's upper arms. This is possibly a hereditary condition called keratosis pilaris. All four of our children have had it to some extent. My husband and I also had it and grew out of it as we grew older. I don't know whether it's linked in any way to celiac disease, but it's quite common.

Here are some links to information about it:

Open Original Shared Link

We consulted a dermatologist when our third child started showing signs of it about age 10. The doctor recommended a lotion called AmLactin, available at drugstores (but watch out, it's fairly pricey). I can't tell you whether it's helped because my son has not been diligent in using it. However, the above links may help you. I hope so! Good luck with this and with the celiac disease!

• 4 months later...
Trevor Newbie
I was reading a post yesterday and someone mentioned that IF you are lacking in B-12 you won't have half moons on your fingernails. Hmmm... SO, I looked down and I don't have ANY moons at all!!! Do most of you take B-12?? What does a lack in B-12 do other than the fingernail thing??? Yes, I am headed to the store after work and picking up some, but I was just curious the effects of a low B vitamin diet. Thank you!!

Hi, I know it's a few years ago but this may still help, I have b12 deficiency and my half moons have disappeared, you need to check if you can absorb b12, if not, rather take the sublingual b12 under your tongue. my half moons never came back but at least it was a sign of me lacking b12, regards Trevor

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Over the years, I have read many times about the half moons on our fingernails. I now realize that it is quite normal for us to only have half moons on our thumbs and index fingers, not necesarily on any of the other fingers. Sometimes the ridges on our fingernails also are just an aging process for some of us, sometimes it is a vitamin deficiency, which many celiac's do have. If you have a ridge going crosswise of your fingernail, then probably you have bruised it in someway and as the fingernail grows, the ridge will eventually go away, I just had that happen. It does take quite some time for that to take place, if the bruise is at the base of the nail, it takes quite a while for it to go away.

I might add, I take 3000mcg daily of B12 and I have half moons on only 3 fingers still, after 3 years!

Here is a very good site that does explain all the different things that we see on our fingernails:

Deb

Jodi Mills Apprentice

Guess its time to get some vitamin b 12 in my system, I only have 1/2 moons on my thumbs and if i push my cuticles back i have little tiny ones on my pointer and i believe i remember having the 1/2 moons on more fingers then that. the rest are lacking in the 1/2 moon, my nails have always been very brittle, and have aquired really bad ridges in the past year or so they start at teh cuticle and end at the tip. also i went over that list and there is like 7 things that relate to me...is it normal for a 23 year old to be lacking in that much vitamin b12, guess i really need to find a doc now.

Soonerman Rookie
I was reading a post yesterday and someone mentioned that IF you are lacking in B-12 you won't have half moons on your fingernails. Hmmm... SO, I looked down and I don't have ANY moons at all!!! Do most of you take B-12?? What does a lack in B-12 do other than the fingernail thing??? Yes, I am headed to the store after work and picking up some, but I was just curious the effects of a low B vitamin diet. Thank you!!

I have low B12 and am taking monthly shots. What you need to understand is that if you are not a vegetarian and you eat regularly and a normal healthy diet, you should not have low B12. If you do it is from malabsorption and taking B12 pills/supplements will not help as the initial problem is with you absorbing the vitamin. That is why b12 shots are the only way to significantly increase b12 in a person that is unable to adequately break down and absorb b12; it goes straight into your body, no work required to extract it from food. Also the reason for this malabsorption could be a variety of things, including celiacs or other food allergies, alcoholic, crohns, many other reasons. But I believe mine is caused by celiacs and I hope to get a definitive answer soon; already determined I have DQ2 marker.

As for the half moons, don't put too much into that, I have them on all my fingers and been consistently low on B12 even before I started the shots. If you have the symptoms, get the blood work done. Get the shots or eat foods with b vitamins, meats, fish, milk, fortified cereals; unless you are a vegan or vegetarian you shouldn't need b12 supplements/pills unless something is wrong.

• 2 years later...
glutenfreek Newbie

For glutenfreek:

You were asking about bumps on the back of your 7-year-old daughter's upper arms. This is possibly a hereditary condition called keratosis pilaris. All four of our children have had it to some extent. My husband and I also had it and grew out of it as we grew older. I don't know whether it's linked in any way to celiac disease, but it's quite common.

Here are some links to information about it:

<a href="Open Original Shared Link disease=2" target="external ugc nofollow">Open Original Shared Link disease=2</a>

We consulted a dermatologist when our third child started showing signs of it about age 10. The doctor recommended a lotion called AmLactin, available at drugstores (but watch out, it's fairly pricey). I can't tell you whether it's helped because my son has not been diligent in using it. However, the above links may help you. I hope so! Good luck with this and with the celiac disease!

Thank you for this information, it has been very helpful! I had completely forgotten about making this post and found myself back here three years later! Can you believe it? My daughters KP flared up this past week and I've been on the search once again! I think we are going to try a Sea Buckthorn regimen; soap, shampoo, lotion and possibly an oral supplement. I'm a little nervous as to the reaction as it gets worse before it gets better.

I found some helpful information on these sites as well.

Archived