This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Appointment With Allergist...

Crimson

Crimson Rookie

I was posting under one of my original posts as to keep everything together... but I figured, I should ask some questions.

I was wheat free for four years, gluten free for 16 months. *felt better lots of issues cleared up except for the D*

Started eating gluten, did so for three weeks to get tested. Got my tests.

Doctor doesn't know much about celiac disease so she went with me on this.

I handed her the list of tests to do, but she did not do a total IgA level.

My results were

IgA < 1.2 Range 0.0-10.0

IgG < 1.2 Range 0.0-10.0

So, I asked her about the possibility of IgA deficiency. She agreed that it was possible. My LYMPH numbers were also quite low and the EOs were quite high. Very high, actually. Vitamin levels were normal. *I take a multi and D and fish oils*

I've been back on the gluten-free diet for 4 weeks tomorrow.

I'm still nauseous. I actually had to excuse myself from the exam room to vomit. That's a first. I'm used to the nausea, but it's the first time I've gotten that sick. No clue when that will clear up.

I'm no longer tolerating rice, yogurt or apples. Things I was able to eat prior to my little gluten test. Now, my system is going CRAZY on me!!! Worse than what I was before.

My questions... I know I can't have antihistamines. But should I be eating some of the foods that I know make me sick. Though peanuts I worry about because my reaction to them is kinda harsh. Severe dizziness and headache. Which is the same reaction I'm now having to milk proteins.

I'm not sure it's such a grand idea to eat them before the appointment....

Which is another thing that surprised me. I didn't expect to be able to get into the allergists office for at least a month. It's next Tuesday!

So, I've no clue how to prepare.

Suggestions??? I know she wants my IgA levels and possibly allergy tests... she mentioned skin tests. I have NO clue.

Much thanks!

Crimson

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would not eat foods that you know you have a allergic reaction to. Your doctor will do testing under controlled circumstances so that if you should have a severe allergic reaction they will be there to help. Hopefully your allergist will deal with intolerances as well as true allergies. I was lucky to find the one I had, he was the key to my being diagnosed. If yours does the same routine they will skin test for actual allergies and give you a questionaire to fill out about what your daily diet is. My doctor then formed a starting point for me for the elimination diet that was healthy, provided enough calories and balance nutrition.

In my instance I showed an allergic reaction to all but one of the 99 substances he did the testing for. He said later that my immune system was in 'hyperdrive' which was why I had so many positives. As he predicted once my intolerances were under control the other allergy reactions went away. So if they do the skin prick test and you do come back allergic to a lot don't freak out. The elimination diet will help pinpoint any intolerances that you may have along with gluten.

Crimson Rookie

My peanut and now dairy reaction is getting more noticeable. So, it will probably be a good thing to have those diagnosed. Especially because the peanut allergy has a tendency to get pretty bad for most people.

I feel for you having so many positives!

I'm pretty much prepared to be tested for anything that fits my symptoms.

Though I don't see me going back on gluten to prove celiac. If they don't see it, they don't see it. I'm much worse now than what I was and I'm really not about to chance more.

I just hope the allergist understands that.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I feel for you having so many positives!

I'm pretty much prepared to be tested for anything that fits my symptoms.

Though I don't see me going back on gluten to prove celiac. If they don't see it, they don't see it. I'm much worse now than what I was and I'm really not about to chance more.

I just hope the allergist understands that.

First celiac is not an allergy so that isn't going to show up with allergy testing unless you also have an allergy as well as gluten intolerance. Don't feel bad for all those positives, they were all a thing of the past within just a couple of months. Along with my asthma, arthritis and fibro symptoms. The elimination diet, which I really hope they are going to do with you, was a bit of a 'pain' because it was so very restrictive at first but it was a godsend as it was the key to my finally being diagnosed.

miles2go Contributor

I am one of those who is allergic and intolerant/celiac, I'm pretty sure, because like Crimson, was gluten light or gluten free for many years before celiac was even considered and never got completely tested. I have sky high EO's and my IgA was never tested, but while very sick, I begged my PHP to send me to an allergist and was there so quickly that I didn't even have time to consider preparing to see her. I got tested for about 30 things I think, and was allergic to a good number of them. My allergist then tested me for antigliadin, which came back negative and I eventually went to a dietician who was very knowledgeable about celiac and steered my in the right direction for that, while my allergist treated my allergies. So, you may be in that situation where you have to manage both. And you are going to have to figure out most of it yourself, because the skin tests aren't known for their accuracy and the elimination diet is a pain, but so very worth it. I have been gluten free for almost 4 years and have been able to reduce a great number of the environmental allergies that were challenging me before and rest assured, you will almost surely get to a place where you can eat the foods that are causing you allergic reactions now, with the exception of the gluten and perhaps the peanuts. I myself will never go near another lobster again, either. I found Marjorie Hurt Jones' book "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" really helpful, although my dietician was a little appalled by the "monomeals" that she suggests for the elimination diet. Although those were a little like boot camp for the allergic, it sure speeded up the process. You could check it out at your library to see if it's right for you. Oh and as for the dairy, my dietician wanted me to get off of it for a while so I could heal a little bit. I swear I have never had any issues with dairy, but I did that and it seems to me that you might benefit from that, too. A couple of months isn't a very long time and if you're doing a gluten challenge now, yep, I think I might be puking, too.

Hope you feel better soon, let us know how it goes!

Margaret

Crimson Rookie

Thank you both! I will be checking that book out at the library. Already found it. ^_^

Elimination diet can't be much harder than what I'm doing now... that which I call the meat and banana diet. I'm up for this. Something has to help.

Crimson Rookie

I am allergic to NOTHING. So, on to the GI, I suppose.

sheesh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived