This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diagnosed When?

steadyed

beks Newbie

I was diagnosed 3 hours ago:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I was diagnosed 3 hours ago:(

AWWwwwww!!! You are in the right place to learn!! Hang in there and post if/when you have questions, there are great people here to help.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

beks Newbie

Thanks very much. Everyone here has been really suppotive

Guest Leidenschaft
I also never liked "bread" products that much.

Funny, I've always been that way too! Pizza and Pasta always gave me such terrible heartburn, although I usually blamed the sauce and would insist on having the "pizza bones" (edge of the crust!) :blink::lol:

My hubby would get a Sub, and I would have the soup... I never cared much for sandwiches unless they were in a Pita Pocket, or wrap.

It's good in a way since I don't spend much on gluten-free bread! :lol: I just don't like it period! I did enjoy the gluten-free Poppy Seed bagel for awhile, but the lactose intolerance drove me away from the cream cheese, so they sit uneaten in my freezer! :(

I've also never been much for cereal... probably the milk gave me so much gas it just wasn't worth eating it!

Whew, if it wasn't for beer, I may have been undiagnosed for many more years! :lol:

Ally2005 Apprentice

Ditto for me too in regards to not having an appetitle for bread, pasta ect. Hey Tammy, I live in Canada too, are there any wine coolers or ciders that we can have? I've been recently diagnosed and haven't looked into it yet. I'm not a big wine fan.

Ally

steadyed Newbie

I finally went up to 150 pounds, though I believed I list weight recently. I am now a size 32 waist after being a 34 for a while. BTW, I'm 5'6", though my wife swears that I'm shorter than that.

I also have a "cast-iron" stomach, though I've had problems with diarrhea, gas, gas, gas, and still more gas :( . My wife constantly complains about it, but it doesn't seem as if I can do anything about it. It could be that something else is affecting me, of I may be sensitive to other foods.

And once, I believe that the idea that celiac can be outgrown was the prevailing thought back then. And I wouldn't eat a banana now to save my live :lol: .

ED

• 4 weeks later...
pmrowley Newbie

I was diagnosed about 25 years ago, by the then-experimental intestinal biopsy routine. At the time, I was about 4'11" and fluctuated around 95 pounds.

Currently, at age 34, I'm 5'8", 135 pounds. Not a giant, but healthy and happy. :)

-Pat

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
lindalee Enthusiast

I was a celiac baby and on the diet two years. Thought I outgrew it until this Feb. 06. I crave banannas and never cared for breads, pizza I avoided because no matter how much I ate I could never get full.

Debbie65 Apprentice

Appologies if this is duplicated, lost my post !!!!

I was diagnosed in 1966 but still a newbie as my signiture explains.

LKelly8 Rookie

I was diagnosed just last year but my mother was diagnosed as an infant in 1938, at Yale New Haven Hospital in CT. She almost died - starved to death - before they realized it was celiac sprue. We have a pic of her and her nurse on the day she was released from the hospital, she was almost three but because of the malnutrition she looked like a limp rag doll with a big head. <shudder> :( It's a very disturbing photo. The first time I saw it I refused to believe that was my mother, or that it was anyone, I thought it was a doll.

She was a banana baby, they were told she'd grow out it, and it didn't "resurface" again till she was in her 30s.

As a girl my mom remembers going to a friend's house, who's dad worked a bakery, and eating huge slices of fresh rye bread! :rolleyes: I've been thinking of getting her one of those gluten-free ryeless rye breads for her birthday. :D

lindalee Enthusiast
I was diagnosed just last year but my mother was diagnosed as an infant in 1938, at Yale New Haven Hospital in CT. She almost died - starved to death - before they realized it was celiac sprue. We have a pic of her and her nurse on the day she was released from the hospital, she was almost three but because of the malnutrition she looked like a limp rag doll with a big head. <shudder> :( It's a very disturbing photo. The first time I saw it I refused to believe that was my mother, or that it was anyone, I thought it was a doll.

She was a banana baby, they were told she'd grow out it, and it didn't "resurface" again till she was in her 30s.

As a girl my mom remembers going to a friend's house, who's dad worked a bakery, and eating huge slices of fresh rye bread! :rolleyes: I've been thinking of getting her one of those gluten-free ryeless rye breads for her birthday. :D

Did she have any major problems after the "resurface"? I never could eat rye bread - one crumb and instant headache. :unsure:

LKelly8 Rookie
Did she have any major problems after the "resurface"? I never could eat rye bread - one crumb and instant headache. :unsure:

After coming home from the hospital she stayed on the banana diet for another 2-3 years, then her parents slowly introduced other foods - including gluten - this was the official "diet plan" for celiac back then.

Although her disease was silent for many years she started having fairly typical celiac symptoms again in her thirties - she believes the disease remained active, though silent, throughout her life.

I didn't mean to imply we can eat rye. :o When she was a child the medical community <_< believed children outgrew celiac. Obviously, we know that's not true.

lindalee Enthusiast
After coming home from the hospital she stayed on the banana diet for another 2-3 years, then her parents slowly introduced other foods - including gluten - this was the official "diet plan" for celiac back then.

Although her disease was silent for many years she started having fairly typical celiac symptoms again in her thirties - she believes the disease remained active, though silent, throughout her life.

I didn't mean to imply we can eat rye. :o When she was a child the medical community <_< believed children outgrew celiac. Obviously, we know that's not true.

That is what Happened to me - just keep her on the diet for 2 years.... :blink: Started the diet in Feb. How is she doing now? I wonder how many of us that were told that don't know we don't outgrow it? Glad you found out.

Archived