Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Rosarita Refried Beans

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone eat them?? I called and was told the distilled vinegar that is in them can come from wheat OR corn, and that the distilling process should remove the gluten, but they can't call them gluten free because of that, and also that it is in all their varieties. So, are they safe or not safe??

Ads by Google:

I wouldn't be able to eat them but there are many who could. Not all of us react to distilled gluten grains. Since you are very new to the diet I would pass on those until you heal a bit more. Your own refries are really easy to make. Just take some canned or cooked fresh beans and put them in a fry pan with a bit of bacon fat. Crush them up with a fork as they cook. If you wanted you could add a bit of finely chopped onion or peppers. These will keep really well in the fridge if you want to make a big batch to eat over the week.

I wouldn't be able to eat them but there are many who could. Not all of us react to distilled gluten grains. Since you are very new to the diet I would pass on those until you heal a bit more. Your own refries are really easy to make. Just take some canned or cooked fresh beans and put them in a fry pan with a bit of bacon fat. Crush them up with a fork as they cook. If you wanted you could add a bit of finely chopped onion or peppers. These will keep really well in the fridge if you want to make a big batch to eat over the week.

Thank you. I often make my own pintos in a crock pot with dried beans, chicken broth, and seasonings and they are VERY good, so I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of doing this more often. But, I used to use rosarita a lot when I was in a hurry. I guess those days are over.

Thank you. I often make my own pintos in a crock pot with dried beans, chicken broth, and seasonings and they are VERY good, so I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of doing this more often. But, I used to use rosarita a lot when I was in a hurry. I guess those days are over.

Not neccesarily, just wait till you have healed up well and then try them. But I bet the ones you make taste better. Have you tried freezing the ones you make for busy days?

Not neccesarily, just wait till you have healed up well and then try them. But I bet the ones you make taste better. Have you tried freezing the ones you make for busy days?

I was JUST going to see if that might work :) I will try it for sure. We all love pinto beans and my kids loves burritos. By the way I am so sorry to read about your twin brother. That must have been extremely hard for you. Of course no words I can offer will make any difference but I wanted to just say I'm sorry.

I was JUST going to see if that might work :) I will try it for sure. We all love pinto beans and my kids loves burritos. By the way I am so sorry to read about your twin brother. That must have been extremely hard for you. Of course no words I can offer will make any difference but I wanted to just say I'm sorry.

Thank you for your kind words about my brother. Yes it was, and sometimes still is, hard. Losing a twin is like losing a part of yourself. He was a special person and like the rest of the family likely a celiac. He had given the world what he was meant to contribute though and even though his time was short he made the most of that time.