5 replies to this topic

#1 Frances03

Frances03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

Does anyone eat them?? I called and was told the distilled vinegar that is in them can come from wheat OR corn, and that the distilling process should remove the gluten, but they can't call them gluten free because of that, and also that it is in all their varieties. So, are they safe or not safe??
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:23 AM

I wouldn't be able to eat them but there are many who could. Not all of us react to distilled gluten grains. Since you are very new to the diet I would pass on those until you heal a bit more. Your own refries are really easy to make. Just take some canned or cooked fresh beans and put them in a fry pan with a bit of bacon fat. Crush them up with a fork as they cook. If you wanted you could add a bit of finely chopped onion or peppers. These will keep really well in the fridge if you want to make a big batch to eat over the week.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:06 AM

I wouldn't be able to eat them but there are many who could. Not all of us react to distilled gluten grains. Since you are very new to the diet I would pass on those until you heal a bit more. Your own refries are really easy to make. Just take some canned or cooked fresh beans and put them in a fry pan with a bit of bacon fat. Crush them up with a fork as they cook. If you wanted you could add a bit of finely chopped onion or peppers. These will keep really well in the fridge if you want to make a big batch to eat over the week.

Thank you. I often make my own pintos in a crock pot with dried beans, chicken broth, and seasonings and they are VERY good, so I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of doing this more often. But, I used to use rosarita a lot when I was in a hurry. I guess those days are over.
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

Thank you. I often make my own pintos in a crock pot with dried beans, chicken broth, and seasonings and they are VERY good, so I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of doing this more often. But, I used to use rosarita a lot when I was in a hurry. I guess those days are over.

Not neccesarily, just wait till you have healed up well and then try them. But I bet the ones you make taste better. Have you tried freezing the ones you make for busy days?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#5 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

Not neccesarily, just wait till you have healed up well and then try them. But I bet the ones you make taste better. Have you tried freezing the ones you make for busy days?

I was JUST going to see if that might work :) I will try it for sure. We all love pinto beans and my kids loves burritos. By the way I am so sorry to read about your twin brother. That must have been extremely hard for you. Of course no words I can offer will make any difference but I wanted to just say I'm sorry.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

I was JUST going to see if that might work :) I will try it for sure. We all love pinto beans and my kids loves burritos. By the way I am so sorry to read about your twin brother. That must have been extremely hard for you. Of course no words I can offer will make any difference but I wanted to just say I'm sorry.

Thank you for your kind words about my brother. Yes it was, and sometimes still is, hard. Losing a twin is like losing a part of yourself. He was a special person and like the rest of the family likely a celiac. He had given the world what he was meant to contribute though and even though his time was short he made the most of that time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: