Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pregnancy And The Unavoidable Stomach Issues

8 posts in this topic

So I'm newly pregnant, and I am, in fact, 100% gluten free. I know that it's common for women to get constipated, but let's just say that this has never been one of my problems. Even being 100% gluten-free--I don't even eat out at restaurants--I still have the occasional D, or loose/frequent stools. Do any of you know what you can take for this during the first trimester? Thanks in advance!

Ads by Google:

smaller, more frequent meals. (yeah, I'm also getting tired of trying to find 200-calorie "meals" that I can eat every two hours.) keep up with plenty of fiber from fruits, vegetables, and legumes. get *lots* of water and whatever exercise you can. and when you feel the urge for a bowel movement, don't wait - find a restroom and give yourself time to go at your own pace; waiting will just send signals to your body to keep holding on to the stool.

the digestive system moves much slower due to the pregnancy hormones, so it's really quite quite normal, and a very difficult thing to avoid entirely. working with the slower digestion (hence the smaller, more frequent meals) and helping the digestive tract to move as much as it will (water and exercise) is the best way to start.

additionally, iron supplements in prenatals or on their own can cause constipation, and you may want to look into stopping them for some length of time or changing when/how much you take them. additional magnesium may help balance any constipating effects of calcium that you're taking, as well.

in general, laxatives are not a general good choice during pregnancy. there is a risk, albeit very low, that trying to stimulate significantly more movement in the bowels will stimulate contractions in the uterus. if things are severe enough, a doctor may go that route, but with very specific instructions on their use.

you may want to talk to your doctor if it continues for very long or is very regular.

during pregnancy, occasional bowel changes are just kinda how things go with the effect of hormones on the intestinal tract.

I'm also newly pregnant, and constipation has also never been an issue of mine (I also am 100% gluten-free and haven't eaten in a restaurant in 5 years). I've had *horrible* diarrhea since becoming pregnant, so I called my doctor last week, and they told me Imodium is safe to take during the first trimester. However, I'm only trying to take it once a week or so, and it's not helping. I'm also doing the small meals, and that's not helping, either. Sigh. The joys of hormones!

Congratulations, and I hope your symptoms improve!

The diarrhea got a lot worse today--I know you're not supposed to have a reaction to the flu vaccine, but I just had mine yesterday and had a horrible day today. I had read somewhere that there's a relatively small risk of certain birth defects in the early weeks of pregnancy with Imodium, so I'd been steering clear. I was just going to wait until I see my doctor next, but I'm glad to hear that your doctor feels it's safe. I'm actually looking forward to my digestive tract slowing down because right now, it's definitely unpleasant. For me, I think the diarrhea is exacerbated by the low-level cramping I'm having from my uterus stretching--the more I cramp, the more my digestive tract speeds up. Thanks to both of you for the replies!

Im also newly pregnant- 4 weeks and 4 days. I didnt know i was pregnant until i started feeling really bad stomaches. went to my GP and He recommended doing the test - Positive. I was over the moon because we had been trying for 5 months(not too long, i know)...the doctor told i had to do an emergency scan to check if everything was fine with the baby. Unfortunately, they couldnt see the foetus as its very recent so was told to go back in 2 days for a blood test to check my hormone levels. Got the results on monday and my blood levels were doubled meaning that the baby is in the right place_thank God!!!!! I still have been having stomach aches-the ones i have to curled up on the floor(with goosebumps) until it gets better.Is it normal?????? I still havent had any morning sickness...is it normal?? I think im becoming paranoid.....i just want this baby so much....

im having another scan in 2 weeks and after that i will book my antenatal appointments......

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks,

Rebeca

cramping - similar to menstrual cramping - is quite common in early pregnancy. what you describe seems a little excessive, so I am glad that you are keeping up with your doctor. you might even consider finding an OB who can help you investigate this issue.

not everyone gets morning sickness, and sometimes it takes a little while longer for it to kick in than you've been pregnant. I think mine kicked in at about five weeks - and lasted (strongly) about seven weeks.

good luck!

So I'm newly pregnant, and I am, in fact, 100% gluten free. I know that it's common for women to get constipated, but let's just say that this has never been one of my problems. Even being 100% gluten-free--I don't even eat out at restaurants--I still have the occasional D, or loose/frequent stools. Do any of you know what you can take for this during the first trimester? Thanks in advance!

I actually had some cramping this week along with bleeding/spotting. I thought that I was having a miscarriage, and the doctor got me in right away for an emergency appointment. We saw the heartbeat--the baby had tripled in size since my last ultrasound 9 days before. It turns out that I just had a bacterial infection causing my symptoms. I'm sure your doc will be able to figure it out. Good luck!

Hi guys,

Im 5 weeks pregnant and "100% gluten free" and recently getting really bloated..looking like 5/6 months pregnant......painful and walking like a duck. What do u think may be causing it ????

Thanks,

Rebeca