This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Then Last Item With Gluten You Ate...

VegasCeliacBuckeye

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:P a really good elephant ear should not be greasy--it is like a very a very flat donut--they are ususally dropped into hot oil and removed--if placed on a paper towel and flopped over--then rolled in cinnamon and sugar--ohhhhhhh man--they are very good--sweet and flaky-------------i think probably the last thing i ate was hot ham and cheese on aunt millies buttermilk bread--i loved it---deb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vetnurse

The last thing I can remember eating with Gluten was a big salty pretzel and a sabrett hot dog (no bun) at a NY Yankee Game, it was the 4th Inning and I had to fight to stay awake for the rest of the game.

• 11 months later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I wish it was wedding cake!

skoki-mom Explorer

Kentucky Fried Chicken. I'd been eating normally for 36 years with no symptoms, so the day of my biopsy I decided I'd have a gluteny dinner for the last time and start the next day. Had a heck of a time trying to decide between the chicken dinner or the Big Crunch Sandwich. I kinda wish now I'd had the Big Crunch, lol.

francelajoie Explorer

Last Xmas, I had some very dense chocolate chip square that was so yummy I had 2! :(

Worse thing about it, it never bothered me except for a little gas the next morning.

skoki-mom Explorer
Beer and Cookie dough ice cream for an endoscopy-a little too much of both.

Sometimes when I 'm really bored in class and in the mood to torture myself, I'll make a list of all my favorite foods that I'll eat one of these days when we're cured.

LOL! Sometimes I think a cure would be a bad thing for me! I'd probably put on about 300 lbs the first week! I don't even know where I'd start.................

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I think the last gluten item I ate before becoming gluten free was a Crumbs cupcake at bakery in East Hampton last 4th of July weekend. I happily sat on a bench and ate my devils food cupcake with oreo bits on top knowing this was going to be my last. (I had gotten my blood results back at that point and was still awaiting the biopsy results, so I figured I would live it up until then).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Dinner at Macaroni grill, with pasta and an ENTIRE LOAF of french bread.

I wish I would have gone to KFC, gotten a loaf of french bread on the way home, and a tube of pillsbury cookie dough.

tarnalberry Community Regular

a ruth's hemp bar - didn't realize some of the flavors of hemp bar (not flax bar) had barley malt and oats. darnit! it wasn't too bad, but still annoying.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Rubios Health Mex chicken taco combo. I wish it was something like french bread or a soft pretzel...but I don't remember the last time I ate real bread.

kabowman Explorer

I had forgotten - after the fair and the elephant ear, I went home and had a couple of cold beers to wash it down with - if I was going out, I was going out in STYLE!!!

I haven't touched anything with gluten intentionally since!

megzmc3611 Rookie

I was very drunk and said "to heck with it" and chowed down an entire

large bag of Doritos (my favorite junkfood)...

Felt horrible for over a week and now no amount of alcohol can inhibit my gluten-free senses!

mouse Enthusiast

15 months ago I went to PF Changs and ordered EVERY gluten filled appetiser they had on the menu. A couple of them I made into double orders. It was really OINK OINK time. I still think of those appetisers. Not a lettuce wrap among them.

whitball Explorer

I love beer, so I drank a six pack of Foster's Lager. I drank it throughout the day and cherished every sip!

Green12 Enthusiast

Pizza, chocolate cake, and cheesecake, my weaknesses once upon a time...

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Elephant ears are made of the same thing as funnel cakes -- puffy dough and loads of powdered sugar. Very common at State/County Fairs

I miss them....

never wanted one in my whole life, would look at those funnel cakes, and think, wow, how utterly vomitous. Now, what I wouldn't give (only half joking...fried dough is somehow really appealing to me now).

my last thing.....the day of endoscopy/colonoscopy, and he told me right then I had advanced Celiac and not one villi, I didn't care, my friend drove me straight to the grocery deli and I ate about six pieces of the most yummy fried chicken. It was SO delicious....

Susan

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

last thing I remember intentionally eating with gluten was cheese fries and a nice, fat cheeseburger from windmill... I was trying to increase my gluten intake that day for an antibody blood test the next morning... not that one day of eating any substantial amount of gluten would matter but I figured why not enjoy a good meal..

CarlaB Enthusiast

When I went on my gluten challenge for six weeks, I ate Big Macs (someday I WILL go to Findland for a gluten-free one), McGriddles, scones, pizza. All I remember is that they were making me so sick that it was all I could do to choke them down after a while. It certainly made me not want to cheat, even after my tests were all inconclusive! (I was eventually diagnosed by Enterolab)

jaten Enthusiast

I haven't cheated at all since being diagnosed. I remember my "last supper" well, however. It was a Friday nite and dh called and said, "Why don't I pick up some ribs from..... on my way home?" Now, I'd been having gi issues for months, and was dropping 5 lbs a week without knowing why. All tests were coming back negative. This place is well known for its ribs, so I thought, yeah, what the heck, it sounded good. I had ribs, slaw, baked beans, and a roll. Yummy! In less than 20 minutes I was 10 x sicker than the sickest I had ever been. This lasted on through the nite, and by Sat a.m. I was in the hospital. There wasn't much left to test me for, so they decided to test me for e coli....negative of course. 3 days later, still in the hospital, a dr. said, "Gluten!" when I told him that for several months I'd not even been able to eat toast without getting sick. Do I even need to tell you what tests finally came back overwhelmingly positive???? Complete villous atrophy.

Although I'd been on a fast downhill slide, I suppose that 1 roll and possibly rib seasoning was my final tipping point.

Life insists you have a sense of humor; everyday coming home from work, I pass the billboard advertising those ribs :wacko:

JenAnderson Rookie

Mine was a sandwich...just a ham and cheese sandwich. With Doritos.

Beer and Cookie dough ice cream for an endoscopy-a little too much of both.

Sometimes when I 'm really bored in class and in the mood to torture myself, I'll make a list of all my favorite foods that I'll eat one of these days when we're cured.

I do that too...it's in the back of my Day Planner. :ph34r:

megzmc3611 Rookie

I did not really have a "last supper". I was so sick, when my doctor gave me the blood tests...my levels were so high that he told me to start the gluten-free diet right away, that he did not think a week would make a difference with my endoscopy (as he had it scheduled for one week later)..

Everything I was eating at that point made me feel awful, so nothing was enjoyable.

I think that is why I had my drunken breakdown with the doritos...I had finally started enjoying food again and was craving those yummy chips!

If I could have my last hoorah, I really think I would go to Outback and get a no rules burger with everything and a double order of cheesefries!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I'm answering for my six year old son. I know that the night we found out we were having Chicken Caesar salad and sourdough bread. I had to scramble to find a gluten-free Caesar dressing, but I did - he didn't have the bread or croutons. I'll bet it was Honey Nut Cheerios. He lived on those things. He probably had two bowls for breakfast, I don't know about lunch...we found out after lunch. He still looks at the box of Honey Nut Cheerios at the store from time to time and sighs and says I loved Honey nut. Then he walks away.

megzmc3611 Rookie
Mine was a sandwich...just a ham and cheese sandwich. With Doritos.

I do that too...it's in the back of my Day Planner. :ph34r:

My sister and I use to sit on our couch and talk about what our last hoorah meal would be if a meteor was coming and the world was going to end....

And also if the meteor was coming and we could only go to one aisle of the grocery store, what aisle would it be ?(yes we have problems and are obsessed with eating!). At the time I never even thought I would be restricted from so much food....

My sister has celiac too, so now our discussions are "what we would eat if we could have gluten"...

natalunia Rookie

Beer (was eating Brisket, potato salad and baked beans, so you have to have beer), sliced white bread with brisket and fixins, and cheesecake for dessert.

hez Enthusiast

I was like megzmc3611. I was told to go on the gluten-free diet about two weeks before the endo. The doctor was hopeful that she would see some villi. Unfortunatly, not a one was found. So my "last supper" (I even called it that) was some crappy leftovers :angry: I was too tired to make dinner. Had I known then what I know now I would have gone out to dinner at least! The reality was that I was so sick food was not enjoyable. If I could do the day over I would eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner with oreos and krispy kremes for a snack.

Hez

Archived