This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Is A Gluten Ingredient Listed For Companies That Don't 'hide' Ingredients?

StacyA

StacyA Enthusiast

When a company says that they don't 'hide' gluten - such as Kraft or ConAgra or Progresso - how is it listed on the label? Is the actual word 'barley', 'oat', 'rye' written, and if so, where? Is it written within the ingredients list or afterwards in bold with the required allergens? I've tried to find examples on labels in the grocery store of ways that these companies may disclose barely or rye in something like 'natural flavorings' or 'malt flavoring' - but I haven't found one yet. (Wheat, of course, is clearly labeled because it's an allergen. The FDA needs to get on board with gluten...)

I searched through old posts, so I know that Progresso is one of those companies that doesn't 'hide' gluten. And I even called today to verify that's still accurate and the representative said the same thing, that the ingredient list would clearly state any wheat, barley, rye, oats. She didn't know anything more - she just read from a sheet of paper in front of her.

I have a can of Santa Fe Style Chicken that doesn't have anything suspicious-looking in the ingredients list - no where are the words 'oat', 'barley'... However the representative also thought that if the product was gluten free then it would say 'gluten free' right on the label. (I think that was just her thought, not an official company policy.) But now I'm wondering, because the Santa Fe soup doesn't say 'gluten-free' - yet I have a can of Progresso French Onion Soup in my cabinet that does say 'gluten-free'.

- Stacy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

If this Santa Fe Style Chicken is made by Homel it is listed on their site. Located at the bottom of the listing.

Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient

Progresso is a General Mills brand. The agent you talked to described the policy accurately. If a gluten-source grain is in the food, the name of the grain will appear. That means that if none of the words wheat, barley, rye, or oats appear in the ingredient list, nothing derived from those grains is in the product.

The same policy applies at Kraft, ConAgra, and Unilever for all brands owned by them. Open Original Shared Link

holiday16 Enthusiast

I bought some of their soups recently that did not have any gluten ingredients listed, but since I had not had these particular soups before I looked on the website to see if they said anything about them. It didn't, but I noticed that if I pulled up a label some of them would say gluten free. So, for the same product, the label on the internet would say gluten free, but the can I had just bought did not. I did not contact the company, but I'm guessing they are transitioning labels to say gluten free?

With Progresso as long as the ingredients look o.k. I'm not too worried. I haven't had it yet, but I also bought a can of the Santa Fe Style Chicken.

nocommente Rookie

This is what I generally see.

...ingredient, ingredient, malt (barley), ingredient...

...ingredient, ingredient, natural flavoring (derived from milk and wheat), ingredient...

...ingredient, ingredient, food starch (corn), ingredient...

So, for those companies, if you don't see wheat, rye, barley, or oats in the ingredients, you should be fine.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

nocommente,

Excellent example! tfs

StacyA Enthusiast
This is what I generally see.

...ingredient, ingredient, malt (barley), ingredient...

...ingredient, ingredient, natural flavoring (derived from milk and wheat), ingredient...

...ingredient, ingredient, food starch (corn), ingredient...

So, for those companies, if you don't see wheat, rye, barley, or oats in the ingredients, you should be fine.

Thank you sooo much - your examples are exactly what I was asking for. It helps to know what to look for (at least for the companies that promise not to 'hide' gluten.) - Stacy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived