#1 xEmmaa.

xEmmaa.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

Hello everyone, my name's Emma.
I'm 15 years old and in about May of this year I started getting a rash when I ate the majority of foods (the noted ones being bread and noodles :P). I work in a pet shop and so I see many dogs with intolerances to gluten so this was one of the first things that came to mind.
I've been a vegetarian since I was about 4 and so far this had never caused any problems, my diet had been healthy enough but I was really dependent on pasta, noodles and that sort of food.
I haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease, because I'm literally terrified of needles, but basically when I don't eat gluten I don't have a rash, when I do eat it I get a rash, so you get the point.
The doctor won't refer me to a dietician because I won't get bloods done, regardless of the fact that research I have done says that these tests are sometimes inconclusive.
To be honest I'm finding it very difficult to stick to what I'm allowed and sometimes I'll see a really nice looking piece of proper bread or something and eat it :(. The gluten free bread is horrible.
It's leaving me very weak and I'm picking up every illness going round, at the minute I'm lying in bed with a tummy bug. I'm missing a lot of school because of it :(.
So does anyone have any advice on coping with it? And should I be taking supplements or anything?
Emma.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

There are some wonderful gluten-free pastas on the market. Go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Better Health stores and look. Many are rice flour based and some are corn or quinoa based. I have several other trigger foods like beans, rice and eggs that make alot of vegetarian options that are available not possible choices for me. I think most of us go thru the emotions of feeling "limited". It's also a huge learning curve because you will find glutens in the weirdest places! Start reading your ingredient lists religiously! You can often get "glutened" and not realize how till you become more familiar with brands and what kinds of foods are hidden time-bombs for us!! Good luck, Sweetie!

#3 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:57 AM

someplace there is a vegeiac web site which I cant find just now. they have a lot of recipes too.
try some differnet indian foods - (im working in south india right now)
grteat stuff and all safe

]

Hello everyone, my name's Emma.
I'm 15 years old and in about May of this year I started getting a rash when I ate the majority of foods (the noted ones being bread and noodles :P). I work in a pet shop and so I see many dogs with intolerances to gluten so this was one of the first things that came to mind.
I've been a vegetarian since I was about 4 and so far this had never caused any problems, my diet had been healthy enough but I was really dependent on pasta, noodles and that sort of food.
I haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease, because I'm literally terrified of needles, but basically when I don't eat gluten I don't have a rash, when I do eat it I get a rash, so you get the point.
The doctor won't refer me to a dietician because I won't get bloods done, regardless of the fact that research I have done says that these tests are sometimes inconclusive.
To be honest I'm finding it very difficult to stick to what I'm allowed and sometimes I'll see a really nice looking piece of proper bread or something and eat it :(. The gluten free bread is horrible.
It's leaving me very weak and I'm picking up every illness going round, at the minute I'm lying in bed with a tummy bug. I'm missing a lot of school because of it :(.
So does anyone have any advice on coping with it? And should I be taking supplements or anything?
Emma.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 xEmmaa.

xEmmaa.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

I have found gluten free pasta and spaghetti, but it all clumps together during cooking. Any suggestions?

#5 IChaseFrisbees

IChaseFrisbees

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

I'm somewhat of the opinion that foods in their whole and natural form are the way to go, though I suppose with things like peanut butter and yogurt it's somewhat debatable. I would look into a book called Nourishing Traditions, which has a lot of good recipes and information, but the biggest thing is that you should soak your grains before eating them to eliminate the inhibiting factors that prevent us from absorbing all the nutrients.

That being said, when I was eating non-gluten grains I used a rice cooker to make rice, quinoa and buckwheat. It was phenomenal, doesn't take much longer to cook than pasta and you get good grains that you know have been prepared properly (soaked) because you did it yourself!

Good luck,

-Jesse
"The world is your oyster, but you're allergic to shellfish" -Apathy and Other Small Victories

Symptoms started 5/20/08, too much booze!
Diagnosed October 2008 IgA=24
Diagnosed bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine 3/25/09
Celiac gene test negative

I wish I could duct tape my leaky gut

#6 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

a little more salt in the water and stir lightly the whole time
also dont put them in the water until its fully boiling.
usually it does not take as long to cook as the package says --
in fact i found that true for almost all gluten-free noodles.
good luck

I have found gluten free pasta and spaghetti, but it all clumps together during cooking. Any suggestions?

Japanese proverb

#7 Shess0816

Shess0816

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:10 AM

a little more salt in the water and stir lightly the whole time
also dont put them in the water until its fully boiling.
usually it does not take as long to cook as the package says --
in fact i found that true for almost all gluten-free noodles.
good luck

Hi Emma! I eat a lot of pasta also, and I have noticed that the rice based gluten free pastas do tend to clump together when I am cooking them. I recently switched to the corn based gluten free pastas and I have not noticed that issue. As previously stated, I do stir pretty much the whole time they are cooking to make sure they don't stick together or to the bottom. That seems to work. Plus, I think the corn pasta actually tastes better and has a better texture than the rice based pasta (just my opinion though).

With bread, I agree with you that gluten free bread is simply just not very good!! What I have started to do, though, is instead of buying the loaves of gluten free bread, I just buy Kinnickick (spelling??) gluten free hamburger buns. They are in the freezer section and you can just keep them frozen in your freezer at home until you are ready to use them. Then you just thaw them out in the microwave for about a minute. I think they taste MUCH better than the other gluten free bread. The bread doesn't crumble when you eat it and it is much more substantial. That's how I make all my sandwiches and grilled cheeses now!

#8 xEmmaa.

xEmmaa.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the tips :) .

We are in Ireland so a lot of the products I have seen on here aren't available. But I will look out for that frozen bread stuff.

We've got a rice cooker so I'm eating a lot of rice too!

And a bread maker but we are yet to work out how to switch it on :rolleyes:

#9 GFgirly

GFgirly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

I know that this is a hard time at this point however just remember that it will get better. I hated going gluten free in the beginning and now (even after eliminating other items such as olives, cheese, milk, meat etc.) I feel that I'd rather not eat those foods than suffer through the pain that comes after eating them. I agree with the entry that said food in its natural state is the best.

Whole Foods Market and Trader Joes (If you live in the US) both carry gluten free pastas. As mentioned earlier stir them as they cook. Corn pasta I haven't tried, but quinoa pasta is one that I have that I've found amazing. It won't stick together as much, again, as long as you're stirring. If you want noodles try rice noodles. They only need to boil about 5 minutes until they are done and then all you have to do is put them in soup or buy cheap cans of already made gluten free pasta sauce.

Good Luck!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Posted Image

#10 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

someplace there is a vegeiac web site which I cant find just now. they have a lot of recipes too.
try some differnet indian foods - (im working in south india right now)
grteat stuff and all safe

Hi Ken I think this is the one you meant.
Below is an Active link.
Vegiac.Com Forum
Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#11 Fitze082

Fitze082

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

Do you know which brand you use? My entire family (Me, my mom and sister) have celiac disease and of course eat gluten free. We use a brand called tinkyada. Its amazing. Never had a problem with it. My mom cooks the same thing for everyone when we have people over and my friends can't even tell the difference

#12 Fitze082

Fitze082

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the tips :) .

We are in Ireland so a lot of the products I have seen on here aren't available. But I will look out for that frozen bread stuff.

We've got a rice cooker so I'm eating a lot of rice too!

And a bread maker but we are yet to work out how to switch it on :rolleyes:

Try ordering things offline. Tons of websites such as the gluten free mall have multiple brands. I like Pamela's bread mix. The bread is amazing to eat just with butter but I wouldn't use it for sandwiches.

#13 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:20 AM

Thanks David!
thats the one -- thought she might be interested in it!
take care

Hi Ken I think this is the one you meant.
Below is an Active link.
Vegiac.Com Forum
Best Regards,
David

Japanese proverb

#14 Squidge

Squidge

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

Salad is very delicious. Okay, I don't think so, but I hate lettuce. Just avoid the croutons and check the ingredients on the dressing and you should be fine. Rice noodles or just rice for starch. Also, my sister makes a wonderful vegetarian chili that is completely gluten free. Eat peanuts and beans to keep getting protein. Also, learn to bake your own bread. Trust me, the gluten free bread products will be ten times more delicious if you bake it yourself.

#15 Shellyann

Shellyann

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hi. I am a vegetarian too and like you, do not have an actual confirmed diagnoses. My results were inconclusive, but I know that I am gluten and lactose intolerant. If I have the slightest miniscule amount of gluten I am sick for at least 12 hours.
I am pretty new to this, but so far I have been eating a lot of fruit, vegetables, beans, quinoa, dried fruit, larabars, soup, salad, applesauce, sweet potatoes, popcorn and rice chex (there are many flavors) with vanilla soy milk. I have tried some specialty things and am still discovering what is good and whats not. I had AMY's gluten free pizza last night for the first time and it was good, but different....It reminded me more of spinach dip on a polenta cookieish thing then it did pizza. I really like pasta made from corn and quinoa, but like others noted, you need to stir it continuously because it clumps. You just have to experiment and try different things. The hardest part is being out with friends. I suggest searching for restaurants with gluten free menus like olive garden (they have gluten free pasta), P.F. changs, Claim jumper ect and when your friends or family want to go out to a restaurant you can suggest a restaurant you know you can find something to eat at. I'm sure you will find plenty to eat, I know I have. Best wishes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: