#16 gintare519

gintare519

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hello everyone, my name's Emma.
I'm 15 years old and in about May of this year I started getting a rash when I ate the majority of foods (the noted ones being bread and noodles :P). I work in a pet shop and so I see many dogs with intolerances to gluten so this was one of the first things that came to mind.
I've been a vegetarian since I was about 4 and so far this had never caused any problems, my diet had been healthy enough but I was really dependent on pasta, noodles and that sort of food.
I haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease, because I'm literally terrified of needles, but basically when I don't eat gluten I don't have a rash, when I do eat it I get a rash, so you get the point.
The doctor won't refer me to a dietician because I won't get bloods done, regardless of the fact that research I have done says that these tests are sometimes inconclusive.
To be honest I'm finding it very difficult to stick to what I'm allowed and sometimes I'll see a really nice looking piece of proper bread or something and eat it :(. The gluten free bread is horrible.
It's leaving me very weak and I'm picking up every illness going round, at the minute I'm lying in bed with a tummy bug. I'm missing a lot of school because of it :(.
So does anyone have any advice on coping with it? And should I be taking supplements or anything?
Emma.

Oh, I am actually vegan. I have been a celiac since I've been in 5th grade. But I have been diagnosed just about 2 weeks ago. And don't be scared about the needles. Believe me, its either get one needle now or hundreds as your life goes on. There was plenty of time when I ended up in the emergency room due to my abdominal pain. The best thing you should do is just get the tests done. I actually needed to get put to sleep and get a sample of my intestine. I'm not sure why they had me do that instead of a blood test. But I would have highly preferred that way more. I am finding it difficult to maintain the celiac diet as well. There's always some fresh bread at my house. Or some kind of dessert laying around that I am dying to eat. But trust me, in about a week or so, you will feel SOO much better. So much healthier. Oh and for vitamins, I just take a miltivitamin. And a joint vitamin, but thats for a different purpose haha. Feel free to message me if you would like to know me or anything. I'm always researching! Goodluck!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 B R I A N A

B R I A N A

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

So I hope I'm replying to this right.

I'm seventeen and found out I was diagnosed with celiac disease in December of 2007.
I was previously a vegetarian for about three months before I was diagnosed.
I, unlike you, don't have a problem with needles, and at the same time I found out I had a gluten intolerance found out I have a dairy ALLERGY.
So I kinda went from being just a vegetarian to a vegan without gluten.

Don't get discouraged, I know it's hard to find things to eat, especially if your like me and have no cooking skills whatsoever, but you can work around that.
I'm not sure how much of a vegetable fan you are, but I pretty much only eat them.
I go through different phases of what I eat.
Some of my favorites are:
-Bean tacos: Which I make the shell with a corn tortilla, with pinto beans, and smetimes I throw in salsa and all the stuff you like on a taco. I make this corn salsa with just defrosted frozen corn, diced up purple onions, lemon juice and parsley I think just all mixed up and that's really good on the tacos.
-BBQ: This is probably my favorite, and now my whole family asks me to make it for them, I pretty much grill pineapples, brown onions, potatoes, and mushrooms with olive oil and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, in one of those vegetable griller pan things with the wholes in it, sorry I don't know what the name is.
-Salads are always a good thing, especially if you switch it up with like different letuces and dressings, maybe try it with fruit really changes them so your not having the same boring salad.

DON'T FORGET:
-Avoid crutons.
-Check the lables and look them up. All Kraft products will list barley if theres any in them.
-Check the brand of the pinto beans, you never know what's safe or what's not.

If you have any questions or want to talk about anything feel free.
My email is:
brii_1992@yahoo.com

I hope I helped some.
Don't get discouraged, try just googling things.

Also, bread wise, Pamalas gluten free bread mix cooked in a bread maker is THEE BEST and super easy to make!
B R I A N A

#18 Live Love Twillight

Live Love Twillight

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

OK so i luv 2 play matchmaker w/ relationships, n friends. i jus wanted 2 reccomend u 2 another vegetarian celaic, whose username is "gfteen" u might want 2 contact her/him, if ur interested.

(also there is a DELICOUS bread that tastes sum like the real thing, by the brand "Udi's")
"These violent delights have violent ends, and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume." ~Romeo & Juilet Act II Scene IV

I do not suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself-everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings.

Be grateful for what you have today-you never know what tomorrow will bring. . .or take away.

Don't Worry Boys. . .I'm Gluten Free!!

#19 Leahlulu

Leahlulu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

I have found gluten free pasta and spaghetti, but it all clumps together during cooking. Any suggestions?

Did you try Quinoa based pasta? That tends to work for me.

#20 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

I have Celiac disease and eat a vegan diet. Feel free to message or email me any time, d.hoholuk@hotmail.com I also have a blog and post recipes daily, if you are interested.

#21 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

Schar brand stuff in Europe tends to be pretty good (I look for it in the US).

One of the major tricks with going gluten free while veg is getting enough protein and iron and not too many refined carbs. It's harder to do if you eat lots of packaged foods, so having a rice cooker and cooking at home is great! So, try to find whole grains (brown rice instead of white, millet, quinoa, wild rice, etc) and be careful to eat grains with sources of complementary protein. Basically, eat from different food groups at the same time.

Examples: corn and beans, rice and lentils, anything and egg or dairy (if you can digest it), grains and nuts, soy and grains, etc.

I like Mexican and Indian food as general cuisines that are very friendly to gluten-free diets. East Asian is good too, but you have to be very careful of soy sauce as most of it has wheat in it so I usually make it at home. Tossing grains, beans, and vegetables in a vinaigrette is a nice way to make a simple main dish that's basically a "one-pot" meal. Feel free to PM me or post up more specific foods that you like for actual recipes. I grew up vegetarian, and my mom is too so it's my default way of cooking.

You might want to take a multivitamin or multimineral. Be sure to get one that is gluten-free. Teenage girls (I think?) are especially as risk of iron deficiency, and when you add in potential malabsorption...

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#22 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:31 AM

It must be hard being vegetarian as well. From time to time, I have considered it however I find I need as much protein as I can get so vego is a no-no for me :angry:

#23 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Have you tried quinoa? It's a really good vegetarian option because it's very high in protein. I also eat spaghetti squash instead of pasta - add some sauce and cheese and it tastes like the real thing (with a slightly different texture), and it's a vegetable! And if you enjoy baking at all, you should try making your own bread. I just attempted my first loaf, and it came out very fresh and er, bread-like. Much more like real bread than the frozen commercial loafs.

Good luck! You can do it! :)

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#24 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:45 AM

Toast or grill the gluten free bread to make it more palatable!
I would also look into to mid-Eastern foods. Some of the spices are good for digesting and soothe the tummy. Hummus has been great for adding some protein into vegan diet. We don't have to be completely vegan anymore so I have forgotten some of my suggestions. I love The Allergen- Free Baker's handbook HOw to Bake without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Egss, Soy, Peanuts, Tree nuts, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal. I do hope you can get a copy. It might be hard to use an American cookbook but there are conversion charts on-line to use.
Michigan

#25 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

If your cycle is not consistent, I would highly recommend you eliminate soy products unless they're fermented. I'm not sure how much you consume but it's estrogenic and can wreak havoc on your hormones. A healthier alternative would be to eat beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc. I eat a lot of these types of foods and prefer them to meat any day. I also really like pea protein...it's easily to digest and has all the amino acids. I was a vegan for nearly a decade and throughout my late teens. Now I tend to eat animal protein light and hope to go back to being a vegetarian soon. Be sure to take iron...liquid iron like florix (sp?) is really good and easily assimilated.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#26 Taylor Darby Coben

Taylor Darby Coben

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have found gluten free pasta and spaghetti, but it all clumps together during cooking. Any suggestions?

Keep stirring constantly (: not much else to do

#27 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

use more water too. pasta really needs lots to water to move around it.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: