5 replies to this topic

#1 larry mac

larry mac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

I have been taking these for a while now. On paper, they seem like a good idea to me vis a vis Centrum type ordinary vitamin/mineral supplements. There's a veritable plethora of vitamins, minerals, plant & fruit extracts, enzymes, and a kitchen sink, I think. Of course products such as these are more expensive than regular vitamins. I just got some at Sprouts (where they are always 30% off). I calculate $0.55 a day, about 16-$17 a month. Here's a review I found at random from googling Alive.

http://www.naturalnews.com/001535.html

Some of the Alive products say gluten-free, or wheat free, but my particular ones do not. Reading the ingredients of several though, I can't see any difference. The only thing I see that could be an offender is barley grass and wheat grass. By themselves, they are gluten-free. However, they are on the "not recommended" list (on this site) because they could contain seeds.

I emailed Natures Way and got this response:

===========================================================

Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for contacting Natureís Way regarding our product Alive Multivitamin. http://www.naturesway.com/?pid=14927

Congratulations on your decision to try one of our products to help improve your health.

Your question states: Does this product contain wheat gluten, barley gluten, or rye gluten?

I am happy to assist you with the answer to your question.

Nature's Way's products are tested and most of them are found to contain no measurable amounts of gluten in the product. The product you are inquiring about falls in this category.

I hope this is helpful for you. Please feel free to contact me again with any other questions or concerns that you may have and please visit our website for more valuable information on this and all other Natureís Way Products Inc. at www.naturesway.com.

Best of Health,

Ana L Madigan

Customer Service

Nature's Way Products Inc.

1800-962-8873

www.naturesway.com

"Trust the Leaf"

====================================================

Well, that's a great answer, except for the most part! :o I don't know if that's a CYA statement, just the way she happened to put it, or what. I think I feel better when taking these, but I couldn't say for sure. I'm not getting a reaction, but then again, with all the ingredients in these things, any one particular ingredient would have to be very minute. Plus, if there are any seeds in the grass, that would be an even smaller amount.

Anyone take these? Comments?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

I have been taking these for a while now. On paper, they seem like a good idea to me vis a vis Centrum type ordinary vitamin/mineral supplements. There's a veritable plethora of vitamins, minerals, plant & fruit extracts, enzymes, and a kitchen sink, I think. Of course products such as these are more expensive than regular vitamins. I just got some at Sprouts (where they are always 30% off). I calculate $0.55 a day, about 16-$17 a month. Here's a review I found at random from googling Alive.

http://www.naturalnews.com/001535.html

Some of the Alive products say gluten-free, or wheat free, but my particular ones do not. Reading the ingredients of several though, I can't see any difference. The only thing I see that could be an offender is barley grass and wheat grass. By themselves, they are gluten-free. However, they are on the "not recommended" list (on this site) because they could contain seeds.

I emailed Natures Way and got this response:

===========================================================

Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for contacting Natureís Way regarding our product Alive Multivitamin. http://www.naturesway.com/?pid=14927

Congratulations on your decision to try one of our products to help improve your health.

Your question states: Does this product contain wheat gluten, barley gluten, or rye gluten?

I am happy to assist you with the answer to your question.

Nature's Way's products are tested and most of them are found to contain no measurable amounts of gluten in the product. The product you are inquiring about falls in this category.

I hope this is helpful for you. Please feel free to contact me again with any other questions or concerns that you may have and please visit our website for more valuable information on this and all other Natureís Way Products Inc. at www.naturesway.com.

Best of Health,

Ana L Madigan

Customer Service

Nature's Way Products Inc.

1800-962-8873

www.naturesway.com

"Trust the Leaf"

====================================================

Well, that's a great answer, except for the most part! :o I don't know if that's a CYA statement, just the way she happened to put it, or what. I think I feel better when taking these, but I couldn't say for sure. I'm not getting a reaction, but then again, with all the ingredients in these things, any one particular ingredient would have to be very minute. Plus, if there are any seeds in the grass, that would be an even smaller amount.

Anyone take these? Comments?

best regards, lm

You can get them through Swansons alot cheaper than a health food store.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#3 TeamH12

TeamH12

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

I made a new inquiry and received a response within a few hours, which stated:

Thank you for contacting Natures Way a Schwabe North America company. It is great to see that you are taking a healthy approach to healthy living. I see you are interested in knowing if our Alive product contains gluten.

Our Alive product is under the allowable amount to be considered gluten free; however, there may be trace amounts of gluten from the wheat grass in Green Foods Blend. Many consumers with gluten intolerance are able to use this product.

Natureís Way is happy to provide information about how our nutritional supplements and natural medicines can work to support certain organs, systems, functions, and overall good health. The law prohibits us from diagnosing, treating, or making recommendations regarding the treatment of illness. In such cases, patients should consult a licensed health care professional who can work with them to determine appropriate medical treatment.

We have another great product that you might be interested in trying. This product is manufactured by our sister company Enzymatic Therapy. Gluten Defenseô defends against hidden gluten and is a great addition to daily supplementation for those who have gluten intolerance. I have included the link so you can be directed to the product.

Thank you for contacting Natures Way. Please contact us with any additional questions that you may have. You may also visit our website at www.naturesway.com.

Best wishes for good health,

Customer Service Representative

I hope this helps others out there!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

With wheat and barley grass in these I wouldn't touch them. I would also personally avoid the 'Gluten Defense' product.

I always wonder about people who have only one post and it is to tell us a certain product is great for us and advise us to buy it. Especially when they are reviving a thread that is a couple years old. That's just me though.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Tripletdad99

Tripletdad99

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Just received this reply from Nature's Way (in part):

From the guidelines set by the Food & Drug Administration and the World Health Organization, the Alive! product line is gluten free (<20 ppm) with the exceptions of: Alive! Once Daily Menís, Alive! Once Daily Menís 50+, Alive! Ultra-Shake Pea Protein Chocolate, Alive! Ultra-Shake Soy Protein Chocolate as these formulas contain oat bran.

For those persons with extreme gluten intolerance, they should consult their healthcare provider before using the Alive! products containing the Green Foods Blend.

---

So, what would qualify as "extreme" I wonder? Celiac's with really bad reactions? Is <20 ppm what is considered gluten-free?

#6 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

Just received this reply from Nature's Way (in part):

From the guidelines set by the Food & Drug Administration and the World Health Organization, the Alive! product line is gluten free (<20 ppm) with the exceptions of: Alive! Once Daily Menís, Alive! Once Daily Menís 50+, Alive! Ultra-Shake Pea Protein Chocolate, Alive! Ultra-Shake Soy Protein Chocolate as these formulas contain oat bran.

For those persons with extreme gluten intolerance, they should consult their healthcare provider before using the Alive! products containing the Green Foods Blend.

---

So, what would qualify as "extreme" I wonder? Celiac's with really bad reactions? Is <20 ppm what is considered gluten-free?

I think they are referring to people with gluten intolerance who react to the possible CC in oats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: