3 replies to this topic

#1 nmlove

nmlove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

Just curious if anyone knows. Can large bowel movements (ie, the kind that plug the toilet every time) be a symptom? I know diarrhea/constipation but my husband brought the quantity up. My son's going through diagnosis and no one on either side of the family has ever been diagnosed so at the moment it's a guessing game who it came from (we'll be tested, just dealing with our oldest at the moment). So of course we both see signs of it in our own families.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 homemaker

homemaker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

Just curious if anyone knows. Can large bowel movements (ie, the kind that plug the toilet every time) be a symptom? I know diarrhea/constipation but my husband brought the quantity up. My son's going through diagnosis and no one on either side of the family has ever been diagnosed so at the moment it's a guessing game who it came from (we'll be tested, just dealing with our oldest at the moment). So of course we both see signs of it in our own families.

I really don't know the answer to that but my daughter when she was small used to pass bowel movements like that...
We were perplexed, but her Pediatrician never seemed concerned. Now my sister her Aunt was diagnosed with
Celiac and I have gone Gluten Free due to symptoms of chronic constipation...
I have ordered testing from Enterolabs, after testing negative for Celiac through traditional blood Celiac Panels.
Constipation, Gas, Bloating, Abdominal Pain, Ataxia, Brain Fog, Joint Pain Headaches
Bloodwork Negative
Went gluten free 10/02/09
Immediate and Positive intestinal improvement with improvement in headache frequency
Enterolab results 11/23/09 (after one month gluten free)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 units
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 9 units
Fecal Fat 1267 units
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1: 0201
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2: 0202
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,2 (Subtype 2,2)

#3 chiroptera

chiroptera

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

Well, evidently my husbands mother used to plug up the toilet "as much as her sons" for years and then she was diagnosed with Celiac years later. Unfortunately my husbands best friend is the plunger, but thus far his Celiac tests have been negative. I think he is gluten intolerant though; he bloats up like Santa Claus after he eats pasta, bread, etc.

One of my daughters also used to pass big bm's until she went gluten free in June.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:42 AM

Unfortunately my husbands best friend is the plunger

That poor guy!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you meant he was the plugger, but your slip of the fingers has given the best laugh I have had in a long time.
Back on topic, the guy should get tested as his symptoms do sound like he could be one of us.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: