Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Pamela's Baking Mix: Anyone Get Reactions, Diarrhea?

• Please log in to reply

31 replies to this topic

#16 Lynayah

Lynayah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Oh my goodness! Can you please educate me re: what is "glutenfreeda"? Are these dedicated oats? I MISS oatmeal!

lisa

Yes! Glutenfreeda's has Apple Cinnamon with Flax, Maple Raisin with Flax, and Banana Maple with Flax, naturally flavored, wheat free, gluten-free, no trans fats, no hydrogenated oils, no GMO's.

What I use is an "instant" oatmeal. It has a little nautral sugar in the mix, so those who are especially sensitive and need the Specific Carb. Diet might need to take note . . . however, I am highly sensitive and have been able to use Glutenfreeda's without issue. :)

For example, here are the ingredients for the Maple Raisin with Flax Instant Oatmeal:

Certified Gluten-free oats
Raisins
Organic maple sugar
BrownSugar
Flax Meal
Salt

If you google it, you'll see where it is available.

It is processed in a dedicated gluten-free facility , however the facility also processes peanuts, nuts, dairy, eggs and soy.

My favorite recipe:

Using a Pampered Chef Rice Cooker (or any microwave rice cooker):

Add:
1 pkg. Glutenfreeda Instant Oatmeal
1 1/2 Cup water
1-2 chopped fresh apples

Microwave on high for 15 minutes.

Delightful!

Hugs,
Lyn
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:57 AM

Thank you very much! The soy might count me out but I will check into it, perhaps try it if I feel very brave. I am a hyper-sensitive, unfortunately.

Take care,
lisa

#18 Mrs. Smith

Mrs. Smith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

Pamelas gives me the poopies too. It has buttermilk in it. That may be why. I like Bob's Red Mill. They are yummy and They don't bother me at all.
Gluten free since 01/09
Dairy free since 02/09
Citrus/Citric acid free recently.
Infertility/miscarriage
Neuropathy and Muscle pain...now resolved!
Digestive issues since teens
Dad has Diverticulitus and IBS

"Its a long road, but a journey worth taking."

#19 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

Pamelas gives me the poopies too. It has buttermilk in it. That may be why. I like Bob's Red Mill. They are yummy and They don't bother me at all.

Thank you! Are you referring to Bob's pancake mix or do you perhaps use a flour by Bob's that is a general baking mix, such as Pamela's?

Thanks again,
Lyn
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#20 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

Everyone:

I tried to edit my first post here to insert this update, but the edit option no longer appears.

I am still unsure of what caused my reaction -- I now suspect it may have been cookware related, but I have leaerned it was NOT Pamela's OR the soup. I have had both over the past couple days with no problem.

Moderators: To be fair to those tapping into this thread, If you can insert this update into the beginning of my first post here, I'd sure appreciate it.

#21 Amber M

Amber M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thank you very much! The soy might count me out but I will check into it, perhaps try it if I feel very brave. I am a hyper-sensitive, unfortunately.

Take care,
lisa

I got really excited about the oatmeal till I saw the soy tooo! Oh crappy!!!
Amber Martin
Gluten Free since Mid July 2008 (except a few slips)
Soy Free for over 30 years, Corn free Jan. 2009
Allergic to Clams, legumes, Soy, Pine Pollen
Still can't digest all grains (except brown rice), processed sugar
Gene Test: HLA-DQB1-Allele 1 0301
HLA-DQB1-Allele 2 0603 (genes from both parents)
Serologic equivalent HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 7,6)
Imulogical Gluten Sensitivity
Gluten Ataxia
Tested negative for Celiac on Blood Test after being gluten free
Tested negative for Celiac on Single Biopsy-upper intest. after being gluten free for 3 months
Candida

#22 Amber M

Amber M

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

Everyone:

I tried to edit my first post here to insert this update, but the edit option no longer appears.

I am still unsure of what caused my reaction -- I now suspect it may have been cookware related, but I have leaerned it was NOT Pamela's OR the soup. I have had both over the past couple days with no problem.

Moderators: To be fair to those tapping into this thread, If you can insert this update into the beginning of my first post here, I'd sure appreciate it.

Check what DQs you have. Mine are 1 and 3 which are gluten ataxia genes, I do not have 2 or 8 and my biopsy and original blood test were nagative too. I just had the IgG Non-Diemiated #8889X by "Quest" Labs for the gluten ataxia (do not have to eat gluten for-by the way I was gluten free for 3 months when I had the original tests) Waiting for the results now. Maybe you already know this, just threw it out!
Amber Martin
Gluten Free since Mid July 2008 (except a few slips)
Soy Free for over 30 years, Corn free Jan. 2009
Allergic to Clams, legumes, Soy, Pine Pollen
Still can't digest all grains (except brown rice), processed sugar
Gene Test: HLA-DQB1-Allele 1 0301
HLA-DQB1-Allele 2 0603 (genes from both parents)
Serologic equivalent HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 7,6)
Imulogical Gluten Sensitivity
Gluten Ataxia
Tested negative for Celiac on Blood Test after being gluten free
Tested negative for Celiac on Single Biopsy-upper intest. after being gluten free for 3 months
Candida

#23 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

Check what DQs you have. Mine are 1 and 3 which are gluten ataxia genes, I do not have 2 or 8 and my biopsy and original blood test were nagative too. I just had the IgG Non-Diemiated #8889X by "Quest" Labs for the gluten ataxia (do not have to eat gluten for-by the way I was gluten free for 3 months when I had the original tests) Waiting for the results now. Maybe you already know this, just threw it out!

Gluten Ataxia? I do not know about it - where can I read more? Thank you so much.

#24 Swimmr

Swimmr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

If I have a bag of bob's red mill baking mix and it expired in september, is it still good??? I'm doing an elimination diet, so it will be quite awhile before I can have anything.
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

#25 PhillyCeliacTriathlete

PhillyCeliacTriathlete

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

Pamela's Baking Mix: Anyone here get reactions negative reactions after eating, like diarrhea very shortly after? If yes, any idea why? It is gluten-free.

I am revising this post. To be fair, I also had two other foods this morning about which I did not think -- one is Imagine Creamy Tomato Soup (labeled gluten-free) and another about a tablespoon of Fage Total plain yogurt (ingredients milk, cream, yogurt culture). I also had maybe a tablespoon of skim milk.

Plain yogurt and skim milk have not given me problems. However, this is the first time I have had Fage, which I do believe is supposed to be fine for gluten-free folks.

I also have not had Imagine Creamy Tomato Soup in the past. I've had Imagine Corn Soup with no problem.

The reaction I had after eating two pancakes made from Pamela's reminded me a lot of a similar reaction I had many weeks back. I had made gluten free corn muffins (from scratch using gluten-free corn meal). The recipe called for baking powder, and I added Bob's Red Mill baking powder, which turned out not to be gluten free. Back then, my body exploded. This time, the D was less, but it felt and looked so much like the baking powder episode, I had to wonder about it, hence my thinking it might have been something in the baking mix.

This is so upsetting! I was glutened last Saturday, and it took me a full week to feel better. This was the first morning that I finally seemed to be over it. I woke up feeling so good . . . and now this. Augh!

One thing I've learned . . . never, never NEVER introduce more than one completely new food at the same time as another. Here I am not knowing what the heck caused my reaction. My fault.

Anyway, any opinions on any of this would be most appreciated.

Hello!

Just wanted to reply as I may have some helpful info for ya. I too get weird stomach issues when I cheat on the gluten-free diet and try some new baking flour. 99% of the time I am on the Paleo Diet... and could not be happier. So when I do veer and try something gluten-free and supposedly "tasty", I can get a weird reaction.

Try the Paleo Diet and you won't have to worry about getting any issues. It is tough at first, but trust me, it will most likely do the trick. It eliminates anything man-made and ARTIFICIAL. Eating clean is the way to GO in my book.

Be well,
John
GlutenFreeTriathlete.com

#26 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hello!

Just wanted to reply as I may have some helpful info for ya. I too get weird stomach issues when I cheat on the gluten-free diet and try some new baking flour. 99% of the time I am on the Paleo Diet... and could not be happier. So when I do veer and try something gluten-free and supposedly "tasty", I can get a weird reaction.

Try the Paleo Diet and you won't have to worry about getting any issues. It is tough at first, but trust me, it will most likely do the trick. It eliminates anything man-made and ARTIFICIAL. Eating clean is the way to GO in my book.

Be well,
John
GlutenFreeTriathlete.com

Thanks for the suggestion, John! I will take a look.

#27 jabberwife

jabberwife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

I too seem to get a reaction to the Pamela's mix - but only the bread mix, not the pancake mix. At first I thought it was the sorghum, because it's higher in fiber, but I've since baked a lot of things with sorghum flour with no issue. Then I re-read the ingredients today, and saw that chicory root is in the bread mix. Chicory root is used to bump up the fiber levels (among other things) in foods - maybe this is what is causing the issues. Everything else in the mix I've used individually in baking without issue (except the millet flour). I've narrowed it down to either millet flour or chicory root.
It is sad to have such a reaction too, cause this baking mix is so good! I made jalapeno cheese hamburger buns with it and they were so tasty.

#28 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

If I have a bag of bob's red mill baking mix and it expired in september, is it still good??? I'm doing an elimination diet, so it will be quite awhile before I can have anything.

Probably . . . the date on the label is often the "sell by" date. Also, if it says "best ued by" that doesn't mean you can't use it thereafter, at least for a time. If you are unsure, you might want to call Bob's and ask.

#29 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

For those who are not reading the entire thread, I just want to say once again (as posted earlier here), that I went on to discover it was not the baking mix that was causing problem. It was my making other mistakes (things such as using lotion that contains gluten and then putting my hands in my mouth to floss my teeth).

Many folks here stressed that I needed to be particularly careful that I wasn't getting glutened from anything else . . . and I swore I was being 100 percent perfect. (Well, I really thought I was!) Truth be told, I was still learning, and still making mistakes.

I've since used the baking a mix a few more times with great results.

That said, I still find I do better and feel my best when I eliminate refined foods of any kind -- especially when trying to keep my weight down, but when I used the mix again, did not cause any D, C, etc.

#30 Mrs. Smith

Mrs. Smith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

Thank you! Are you referring to Bob's pancake mix or do you perhaps use a flour by Bob's that is a general baking mix, such as Pamela's?

Thanks again,
Lyn

I use the pancake mix for pancakes and the flour for everything else!
Gluten free since 01/09
Dairy free since 02/09
Citrus/Citric acid free recently.
Infertility/miscarriage
Neuropathy and Muscle pain...now resolved!
Digestive issues since teens
Dad has Diverticulitus and IBS

"Its a long road, but a journey worth taking."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: