This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pamela's Baking Mix: Anyone Get Reactions, Diarrhea?

Lynayah

Lynayah Enthusiast
Hello!

Just wanted to reply as I may have some helpful info for ya. I too get weird stomach issues when I cheat on the gluten-free diet and try some new baking flour. 99% of the time I am on the Paleo Diet... and could not be happier. So when I do veer and try something gluten-free and supposedly "tasty", I can get a weird reaction.

Try the Paleo Diet and you won't have to worry about getting any issues. It is tough at first, but trust me, it will most likely do the trick. It eliminates anything man-made and ARTIFICIAL. Eating clean is the way to GO in my book.

Be well,

John

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for the suggestion, John! I will take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jabberwife Explorer

I too seem to get a reaction to the Pamela's mix - but only the bread mix, not the pancake mix. At first I thought it was the sorghum, because it's higher in fiber, but I've since baked a lot of things with sorghum flour with no issue. Then I re-read the ingredients today, and saw that chicory root is in the bread mix. Chicory root is used to bump up the fiber levels (among other things) in foods - maybe this is what is causing the issues. Everything else in the mix I've used individually in baking without issue (except the millet flour). I've narrowed it down to either millet flour or chicory root.

It is sad to have such a reaction too, cause this baking mix is so good! I made jalapeno cheese hamburger buns with it and they were so tasty.

Lynayah Enthusiast
If I have a bag of bob's red mill baking mix and it expired in september, is it still good??? I'm doing an elimination diet, so it will be quite awhile before I can have anything.

Probably . . . the date on the label is often the "sell by" date. Also, if it says "best ued by" that doesn't mean you can't use it thereafter, at least for a time. If you are unsure, you might want to call Bob's and ask.

Lynayah Enthusiast

For those who are not reading the entire thread, I just want to say once again (as posted earlier here), that I went on to discover it was not the baking mix that was causing problem. It was my making other mistakes (things such as using lotion that contains gluten and then putting my hands in my mouth to floss my teeth).

Many folks here stressed that I needed to be particularly careful that I wasn't getting glutened from anything else . . . and I swore I was being 100 percent perfect. (Well, I really thought I was!) Truth be told, I was still learning, and still making mistakes.

I've since used the baking a mix a few more times with great results.

That said, I still find I do better and feel my best when I eliminate refined foods of any kind -- especially when trying to keep my weight down, but when I used the mix again, did not cause any D, C, etc.

Mrs. Smith Explorer
Thank you! Are you referring to Bob's pancake mix or do you perhaps use a flour by Bob's that is a general baking mix, such as Pamela's?

Thanks again,

Lyn

I use the pancake mix for pancakes and the flour for everything else!

• 3 years later...
Mae238 Newbie

I cannot tolerate Pamela products.  The bread mix has inulin in it -- which is a heavy intestinal irritant for many celiacs (cramping, flatulance, diarrhea).  The pancake and baking mix has buttermilk solids.  A high percentage of Celiacs cannot tolerate milk products.  I am actually allergic to milk.

1.  Information on inulin and celiacs:

2.  Information on milk and celiacs:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/31/1/How-is-lactose-intolerance-related-to-celiac-disease/Page1.html

• 1 year later...
Eddiethecat Newbie

I just discovered this mix, and was so excited to have a tasty bread I could make.... make 2 loaves and didn't seem to notice anything, then by the 3rd loaf.... yikes.  A few hours after hacing a slice I had terrible gas and bloating, and ended up with diarrhea.  At the time I thought it was the frozen meal I had for lunch.  So the next day I had a slice for breakfast and a slice at lunch with my soup..... I was in a lot of pain and got a pain on my left side.  I have not had any since last Thursday and I am still having issues. I was alsmost going to make another load and then I saw some reviews on Amazon about the gas and bloating and saw this post here as well. Everytime I eat anything I get pains in my intestines.  How long does a reaction to inulin last?  I've made sure not to eat anything else with inulin (chickory root ) in it. It's been almost 5 days now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived