This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Diabetes? Hypoglycemia?

Guest GFLisa0405

Guest GFLisa0405

Okay I've had a few scary episodes, and am worried my blood sugar is way messed up (and scared because diabetes runs in my family). These last few months I've assumed im borderline hypoglycemic or something, and because of this eat 4-5 mini meals, instead of 3 big ones. It has helped, but im still having some problems. If I don't eat something every 2-4 hours, i get really shakey and dizzy and feel like im going to faint. My vision also gets weird, and i get REALLY tired. i even had to buy hard candy to throw in my bad, because i get to the point where i feel so drained, like my blood sugar dropped a lot. one time i was hanging out with a friend and i hadnt ate in 7 or 8 hours (i dont get hungry at all, i just to eat because of the shakiness) and the shakiness came back, and i guess i got real pale (she got really scared) sometimes my speech gets real slurred too, and i feel like i cant put my words together right (which really sucks since i have a quiet voice to begin with..) i had been doing pretty good, cept for last night. i couldnt even run (besides these problems, my legs have felt like steel weights) and i came abck and had the breathing problems and the shakiness. the only thing different about yesterday was that i had a little bit of ice cream. Today i have been so drained it was a struggle to get to class. Then at work (at the cafeteria..making sandwiches of all things..) they had me leave early because i got shakey, really hot, sick to my stomach and faintish. I came back and my roomate has me eat something even though i felt full (a normal feeling for me, even if i havent ate a lot) i felt better after i ate, but then i got REALLY hungry. whats up with this? i feel like my sugar is way off, maybe its because of the gluten-free diet? Any input?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I don't think it is because of the gluten free diet unless you aren't getting a balanced diet. Not having the proper amounts of food can throw you off. Hypoglycemia and Diabetes are very much connected with celiac so it is possible you have that.

Have you got your blood sugar checked by a doctor? You may want to dicuss that and see what action to take.

tarnalberry Community Regular

it does sounds like a sugar problem, but of course you need to talk to your doctor to confirm a diagnosis and appropriate course of action. the gluten-free diet, however, could be playing a part if the gluten-free foods you're eating in your mini meals aren't balanced, particularly if they're too high in carbohydrates.

ianm Apprentice

Try to eat more protiens and natural fats. They take longer to digest and you won't get the insulin spikes. Eating candy is probably the worst thing you can do. It will cause your blood sugar to spike then your body will flood with insulin causing the fatigue you are experiencing. You sound a lot like me before I went gluten-free. I would experience many of the same symptoms. It sounds like you are not eating a balanced diet which is so important when going gluten-free.

Guest GFLisa0405

Thats the strange thing- i eat a REALLY balanced diet. i usually have a rice cake with peanut butter, then yogurt with fruit and a little bit of almonds, rice with veggies and beans or chicken, and then maybe popcorn with a glass of milk. Isnt this pretty balanced, or am i missing something?

lovegrov Collaborator

If you haven't seen a doctor recently then it's past time to do so. What you're experiencing does NOT sound like a reaction to going gluten-free. You need to find out what it is and there's no way anybody here can diagnose you over the Internet. I hope it's nothing serious, but you need to find out.

richard

Guest GFLisa0405

Oh I know no one can diagnose me on the internet- i just was scared and wondered if anyone had any idea or had it happen themselves. Plus Im up at school, so id have to wait till i got home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lbsteenwyk Explorer

Doesn't your school have a health center with a nurse or Doctor on staff? Why don't you go there and ask them to check your blood sugar? Your symptoms sound a lot like diabetes. Often, people who are in the beginning stages of adult onset diabetes have hypoglycemic symptoms such as you are having. Are you significantly overweight? This would be another risk factor for adult onset diabetes (type 2) which we are seeing a lot more of in overweight teens and young adults. Also, celiac disease and type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes seem to have a genetic link. These patients tend to be normal or underweight. Common symptoms are rapid weight loss, increased thirst and frequent urination. Please don't wait to get this checked out, diabetes is a serious problem that can cause metabolic disturbances if left untreated. Also, if your blood sugar is normal when you get it tested, ask for a Hemoglobin A1c test. This is a measure of your average blood sugar over the last 2-3 months. This can indicate if your blood sugar has been elevated, even if it is normal the day you have it tested.

skbird Contributor

Lisa -

Your symptoms sound like classic hypoglycemia. When your blood sugar drops, it's usually because your blood sugar went up too quickly (rice can do that, for sure so can candy, fruit, popcorn). When it goes up fast, it comes down fast and you have those kinds of symptoms. If your blood sugar is low you will feel faint, dizzy, have trouble forming sentences, you may have trouble walking, or feel confused. I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic 3 years ago and am very familiar with the symptoms.

If you are at the point of slurring words, you are probably going pretty low. If you are up at school and don't have a heath clinic or doctor you can visit, or if you go and they don't seem to be able to help you, here are a few suggestions:

- cut out any sources of sugar for now. That means candy, fruit, and simple carbs like white rice, rice cakes and popcorn should be avoided for now. I know it's a pain when you're already having to eat gluten free :(

- try to have more protein. Almonds are great. If you are ok with dairy, try string cheese, cottage cheese, and opt for whole or low fat milk instead of non fat or 1%.

- if you can afford it - go to a drug store and buy a blood test meter. Usually drug stores have a "house" brand for less than $20 - the strips are usually a little more. Think of this as a science experiment. Your ideal blood sugar should be between 70 and 110. If you find that your blood sugar tends to be in the low end or lower than 70, then you have your answer. You can also experience hypoglycemic symptoms if your blood sugar falls too quickly but doesn't go below 70.

- look up the "glycemic index". It has a lot of information as to what foods make blood sugar go up and down and how fast. If you stick to lower glycemic foods, you'll feel better in the end.

Sorry, this is a lot of info and I didn't mean to overwhelm you if I did. I know though how frustrating this can be - I went to doctors for years saying I was pretty sure I had a blood sugar problem and they would always say I was fine. But I definitely wasn't. Being gluten intolerant means that your body may not yet be dealing with foods properly so you need to go easy on what you eat and let it get back up to speed. A couple of months after going gluten free I was able to eat some sugars again for the first time in nearly 3 years. And I eat fruit and rice every day now, something that was unheard of before. It just takes time.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions for me, feel free to send me a message.

Take care :)

Stephanie

lovegrov Collaborator

I'll second or third the notion of going to your school clinic. I wouldn't wait unless you're going home, like, right now.

richard

Guest GFLisa0405

Thanks for all the info stephanie..i'm going to make an appointment for tomorrow morning at health services, since then they can do a fasting blood test or whatever right? do they have to draw ure blood for this or is the finger poke type kind?

Guest GFLisa0405

Also, are diabetes and hypoglycemia essentiall opposites? Isn't hypoglycemia when your blood sugar is too low, and diabetes is when it is too high? Or are they related at all? Just wondering, i dont know the difference

Guest Addicted2Gluten

The exact same thing happened to me about a month or so again when I first started the gluten free diet again after a "gluten challenge." I was feeling so tired, shaky, and achy. I also had terrible insomnia and would have these horrible cold sweats. A few times I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. It felt like my blood sugar was going up and down. When I finally went to the doctor it turned out that my blood sugar was really low. The doctor just told me to eat 6 small meals a day and that if it persisted they would run a glucose tolerance test.

However, I decided on my own to start the Glycemic Index diet. Within 2 days of starting this diet, all my hypoglycemic symptoms disappeared. It's a really difficult diet to follow (even though they claim it is easy), but it does work and is healthy. A lot of doctors even recommend their patients, especially those with hypoglycemia, to go on it.

The diet includes eating several small meals throughout the day and basing your meals around certain fruits and vegetables. You are allowed a small portion of a lean meat and a carbohyrate. The carbohyrdate can only be something along the lines of brown rice.

Anyway, I was on it for 2 weeks and it gave me a lot of energy and most importantly got rid of all the horrible "hypoglycemic" symptoms. I recently stopped the diet because it was getting to be too difficult right now (since I'm at college) and I had already lost 10 pounds while on it.

But, now that I am back on a normal gluten free diet, I haven't had any hypoglycemic symptoms. It may have just been that my body needed to adjust itself after the gluten completely screwed it up.

So, feel better and definitely check with your doctor first. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thats the strange thing- i eat a REALLY balanced diet. i usually have a rice cake with peanut butter, then yogurt with fruit and a little bit of almonds, rice with veggies and beans or chicken, and then maybe popcorn with a glass of milk. Isnt this pretty balanced, or am i missing something?

Over a whole day, that might be balanced, but look at each component that you're eating - each MEAL needs to be well balanced.

The rice cake and peanut butter... not bad, though not that great on protein.

Yogurt/fruit and almonds... also not bad, but I hope that's a full serving of almonds there

rice/veggies and beans or chicken... in the case of the beans, you're looking at - assuming not much in the way of added fat - very little fat and not a lot of protein. for a hypoglycemic, this meal isn't going to help.

popcorn and milk - while the milk has some protein, it also has a fair amount of sugar, and the popcorn just has more starch.

All in all, it looks like you may not be getting enough fat/protein - particularly if you're having hypoglycemic episodes - if this is representative of the breakdown of your food.

Good luck at the appointment. I hope they can help you figure out the problem.

Guest GFLisa0405

Yeah I always joke with my roomate that Im probably one of the only girls who worries that they dont get ENOUGH fat. I naturally don't like things that are high in fat (besides nuts and the only dessert i ever like is ice cream, tho i dont eat it a lot) i dont like oil, or even avocados. i try to eat at least a servings of nut a day to make up for it, since they are high in fat. my protein does lack, i was a vegetarian for a year, up until a few months ago. I am adding more protein in, tho i only eat one serving of meat or fish or eggs a day. i did consume dairy (i even switched from skim milk to at least 1%) tho right now milk isnt settling so well (im really hoping this is temporary) Any ideas on what to eat with enough fat? What do you eat when you have these hypoglycemic episodes? Also someone suggesting not eating rice- but i only eat brown rice so shouldn't that be fine? Thanks guys.

brown rice has more fat/protein/fiber than white rice, but still not a lot. it is better than white rice, but for hypoglycemics, on it's own, it's still not a good idea.

the sorts of things I eat:

plenty of nuts and seeds in various forms

oils (in salad dressings, pasta sauces, and when sauteeing vegetables - you don't need a lot)

avocados in tuna

coconut milk in smoothies

eggs/meat/fish

full-fat soy products

higher protein/fat grains, like buckwheat and quinoa

looks like at least #2 and #3 are out for you unless you want to work on finding ways to incorporate them than you don't mind, but the others can do it if you're careful. in much the same way the vegetarians need to be mindful about protein combining throughout a day, the same holds for the nutrients in the rest of your foods.

so, some ideas:

add some cheese to your rice and beans

make sure your yogurt is full fat yogurt, and consider choosing plain if you're not as it doesn't have added sugar (yeah, it's an acquired taste)

cook those veggies in a bit of oil (doesn't need to be a lot... half a tablespoon will get you 7g of fat)

don't use low-fat or no-fat dressing on your salads, and consider putting nuts and cheese on them as well

pick beans that are highest in protein/fat - like black beans and kidney beans

switch out some of that rice with a higher protein/fat grain, such as quinoa or buckwheat

add ground flax seed to your yogurt, or hot cereal if you have it

make flax seed crackers, or your own "energy bars" with nuts, if you can (I posted a recipe for sugar-free (just the natural sugar in dates) raw brownies that have a decent amount of fat in them... tasty!)

most importantly, just DON'T eat a meal that is almost nothing but carbs

the point is less what you eat during the episodes, as making sure that you AVOID the episodes by eating EVERY meal with plenty of fat/protein so your blood sugar never spikes and then crashes.

and when I say balanced, I mean something on the order of 25% of your calories from fat, 25% from protein, and 50% from carbohydrates - NOT 15/15/70 or anything like that. that sort of breakdown MAY work for some people, but IF this is a blood sugar issue, it's not likely to work for you. (you can use fitday to help you keep track of this - it's not just for dieters ;-) )

of couse, this all depends on whether or not it is a blood sugar issue.

Guest GFLisa0405

Thanks for the advice, im starting to see why the atkins diet came about :P j/k. I was already thinking of adding in some cheese, and I already switched to higher fat yogurt. I do like coconut, so the smoothie idea is a good one. Thanks for the tips!

skbird Contributor

There's a lot of really good advice in this thread.

If you follow a glycemic index diet you will find that even though brown rice has more protein and fiber than white, it is still higher glycemic (meaning converts to sugar in your body faster) than some other grains like quinoa and buckwheat. So it's really best to limit the use of it if you have hypoglycemia symptoms. I try to not have more than half a cup cooked at any meal. It's weird when you think of piling it on or living off stir fry or whatever but it's enough, believe me. Also, good tricks aside from adding cheese to it (which really is good!) is to add seeds or nuts, like sunflowers or ground peanuts. Plus tastes really good. And you can't go wrong adding flax seeds - good oil, good fiber and even good protein.

I always forget about something and recently I suddenly remembered flax meal. Don't know why I forgot about it. I have been having a new breakfast lately - I take 1 cup of plain yogurt (whole milk, organic) and adding about 1/2 tbsp real maple syrup, 1 tbsp flax oil, 1 tbsp flax meal, 1tbsp of sliced almonds, 1 banana, and then using stevia to make it sweet to my liking. This is a very tasty breakfast, easy to make in a tupperware and take to work, and has pretty good proportions of protein to carb to fat. Also a bunch of fiber. It keeps me feeling full/not hungry for at least 2.5 hours and I consider anything I eat that keeps me full that long is a good thing. I used to be starving after an hour!

Don't get discouraged if you get to the clinic and they say your blood sugar is in range. The last three times I've had a fasting lab my blood sugar has been between 90 and 101! But testing on my own I've seen my blood sugar rise from 70 when immediately waking to 90 30 mins later after taking a shower, etc. Sometimes just activity helps kick things into gear. I have also tested myself and seen my blood sugar as low as 42 - I remember my husband looking at me in wonder and saying, "what does it feel like?" before snapping into gear and getting me something to eat! :P

To answer your question about if hypoglycemia is opposite of diabetes - it is in some ways.

- hypoglycemia is when your blood sugar goes too low. hyperglycemia (diabetes) is when it goes too high. hypo occurs when your body makes too much insulin and whisks away your blood sugar too quickly, making your blood sugar too low - diabetes is when you have either too little insulin being made (this is sort of like type 1 diabetes) or still lots being made but the receptors that pick up on this have gotten insensitive to this reaction and the sugar stays in your blood (type 2) (note to any diabetes sufferers - don't mean to over-simplify!)

- you can have both - especially if you are on insulin for your high blood sugar, then if you take too much or take it at the wrong time you will go too low - that's when danger of coma and worse occur!

- hypoglycemia CAN be a sign that your body is going to develop diabetes - if it keeps making excessive insulin and driving your sugar away too quickly you may wear out your pancreas (where the majority of insulin is made) and cause it to stop making it any more OR you will wear out your receptors so your body doesn't deal with all the excess sugar in your blood. But not all hypos turn into hypers.

Anyway, I think that's about the max of my knowledge on the subject. I ate low carb for a couple of years before going gluten-free and it really helped my hypo symptoms but the best help I've gotten is going gluten-free, though it's taken some time to adjust. I'll bet that's a big part of what's going on with you. It does take time.

Take care

Stephanie

lbaroosh Newbie

You should have your thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism can casue hypoglycemia and is common with celiacs. After going on thyroid meds, my hypoglycemia was significantly reduced.

Good Luck

• 3 years later...
mslee Apprentice

I'm bumping this because GFLisa seemed to have all the symptoms I have been dealing with.

First anyone involved in this thread have any updates?

Ok so month 7 gluten free, but all my life have had dizziness & it seems worse now that I am gluten free. It is definitely blood sugar related, I was down to corn & white rice as my only grains & even they bother me. Sometimes in my sleep, I wake up from dead sleep thinking "need sugar" go to the kitchen in the middle of the night half asleep and eat anything I can get my hands on...usually something sweet.

My Great Grandpa died of Diabetes...but it was the less common type...guess I should find that out.

I have asked several Doctors if it's possible that I have diabetes or ????

~my GI "For now lets focus on the celiac, it can cause all kinds of strange symptoms"

~my dietitian "well if you had diabetes you GI would have caught it, there might be a chance you have hyperglycemia"....BUT she just told me NOT to try SCD.

~my internist ...well I may have become "the crazy hypochondriac patent that wont leave her alone" so we just delt with the B12 deficiency, guess I could go back.

I will be seeing a Rheumatologist soon guess I can bring it up to him.

SO what now,

If it is Hypo or Hyper glycemia....sounds like I'm on my own, getting a Dx for that may be a waist of time ...I should read up on the glycemic index diet

To test for Diabetes don't they have to hold you and keep testing your blood sugar though out the day???

I don't know...will use this thread as a resource, I'm just overwhelmed & unsure of what to do next.

Thanks for letting me vent ;)

missy'smom Collaborator

If you think that you may have diabetes/hypoglycemia then you should insist on getting tested. I did recently after bringing it up for many years and being dismissed. I wanted to put an end to the worry and guessing and know for sure. I don't fit the profile(but I do have several risk factors-gestational diabetes and celiac disease) but my new doc. humored me and was suprized. I wasn't. There are a few ways that it is done but I had the 3 hr. where they have you drink liquid sugar and draw blood prior to drinking(fasting), 30 min. 1 hr. 2 hrs. and 3 hrs. I am terribly afraid of medical stuff and have a lifelong history of passing out, especially with blood draws, since I was a child but I was upfront with the nurse and she was glad and let me lay down, which helps, and was wonderfully supportive. If I can do it, anyone can!

Regardless of type it sounds like you have a big risk factor.

DON"T try to go it at your own and put yourself on an adjusted diet without getting tested. Been there done that for a while until I could get the courage up to get tested. It didn't accomplish anything for me. It is worth it to get a diagnosis. A doctor can give you help and tools/resources and will know what other things to check/watch out for. If your having problems and not monitoring it properly, you're just continuing to put yourself at risk.

georgie Enthusiast

Sounds a bit like Reactive HypoGlycemia. Some say its an early warning sign for diabetes BUT you may be able to still turn it around / slow it down if you eat right now.

I was tested with a FIVE hour oral Glucose Tolerance Test. The blood draws were done every half hour and hour for Glucose AND Insulin. Then the results were graphed. I was dx as my BS dropped so fast at 2 hours and at 3 hours was UNDER my fasting level to begin with. A normal Diabetes two hour oral GTT would not have shown this.

Now I have the dx I just keep a check with fasting tests every 6 months - glucose AND Insulin.

We produce too much insulin in response to a sugar stimulus. That makes the Blood Sugar drop too fast and we feel giddy / weak etc. Remember simple carbs are sugar and gluten-free carbs seem about the worst.

When you get like this your body screams for a quick fix ( sugar again) when you need protein/ fat instead. If you eat right for a few days / weeks then the Insulin stops overworking and the pancreas slows down and you don't get the highs and lows as much.

Good books I have read are Reactive HypoGlycemia for Dummies, and The Insulin Resistance Diet.

The size of the meals has to be small mini meals. Too much can trigger the Insulin. And they need to be balanced and have more protein and fat.. Sugar is to be avoided as well as caffeine and artificial sweeteners. Fruit is bad. Yoghurt maybe bad etc

Since being gluten-free - I have been eating more carbs and I have been feeling really HypoG again - so have been strict and eating eggs and cheese whenever I feel like a snack. Do that - and ALWAYS carry safe food with you and you should feel better soon. The Dr to see is an Endocrinologist.

This is an example of the RH graphs. Open Original Shared Link

mslee Apprentice
If you think that you may have diabetes/hypoglycemia then you should insist on getting tested. I did recently after bringing it up for many years and being dismissed. I wanted to put an end to the worry and guessing and know for sure. I don't fit the profile(but I do have several risk factors-gestational diabetes and celiac disease) but my new doc. humored me and was suprized. I wasn't. There are a few ways that it is done but I had the 3 hr. where they have you drink liquid sugar and draw blood prior to drinking(fasting), 30 min. 1 hr. 2 hrs. and 3 hrs. I am terribly afraid of medical stuff and have a lifelong history of passing out, especially with blood draws, since I was a child but I was upfront with the nurse and she was glad and let me lay down, which helps, and was wonderfully supportive. If I can do it, anyone can!

Regardless of type it sounds like you have a big risk factor.

DON"T try to go it at your own and put yourself on an adjusted diet without getting tested. Been there done that for a while until I could get the courage up to get tested. It didn't accomplish anything for me. It is worth it to get a diagnosis. A doctor can give you help and tools/resources and will know what other things to check/watch out for. If your having problems and not monitoring it properly, you're just continuing to put yourself at risk.

Thank You!

That makes me feel a little better, the docs just keep telling me they don't know why I get so dizzy. I will have testing done, does not sound pleasant but best to find out for sure.

I did find out my Great Grandpa had Type1 Diabetes

thanks for your input!

mslee Apprentice
Sounds a bit like Reactive HypoGlycemia. Some say its an early warning sign for diabetes BUT you may be able to still turn it around / slow it down if you eat right now.

I was tested with a FIVE hour oral Glucose Tolerance Test. The blood draws were done every half hour and hour for Glucose AND Insulin. Then the results were graphed. I was dx as my BS dropped so fast at 2 hours and at 3 hours was UNDER my fasting level to begin with. A normal

Diabetes two hour oral GTT would not have shown this.

Now I have the dx I just keep a check with fasting tests every 6 months - glucose AND Insulin.

We produce too much insulin in response to a sugar stimulus. That makes the Blood Sugar drop too fast and we feel giddy / weak etc. Remember simple carbs are sugar and gluten-free carbs seem about the worst.

When you get like this your body screams for a quick fix ( sugar again) when you need protein/ fat instead. If you eat right for a few days / weeks then the Insulin stops overworking and the pancreas slows down and you don't get the highs and lows as much.

Good books I have read are Reactive HypoGlycemia for Dummies, and The Insulin Resistance Diet.

The size of the meals has to be small mini meals. Too much can trigger the Insulin. And they need to be balanced and have more protein and fat.. Sugar is to be avoided as well as caffeine and artificial sweeteners. Fruit is bad. Yoghurt maybe bad etc

Since being gluten-free - I have been eating more carbs and I have been feeling really HypoG again - so have been strict and eating eggs and cheese whenever I feel like a snack. Do that - and ALWAYS carry safe food with you and you should feel better soon. The Dr to see is an Endocrinologist.

This is an example of the RH graphs. Open Original Shared Link

Hi Georgie!

You & Shay helped me figure out my B12 issue!

(~a little update on that....

I had my Internist test my B12 & methylalonic acid ....M.A. was a little high, B12/folate serum panel a little low (551). started on 500 mcg sublingual B12 daily

Months later still had lots of tingling,numbness, dropping things all getting worse....requested testing for pernicious anemia

she tested me then gave me a B12 shot & said I could up my sublingual to 1000-2000 mcg a day. Symptoms went away.

Labs came back methylalonic normalized & B12 normal @ 926

She says I don not have Pernicious anemia, but we will re check in 3-6 months, no shots until retested.

~One Question do you know..... are a B12/folate serum panel & a Vitamin B12 test exactly the same or different?)

NOW about the glycemia...

"lightbulb"

Looks like there are several types hypo & hyper etc...

I really think this might be what I'm dealing with, I now know it's my body not handling sugar well. Caffeine I have never been able to consume either. The small meals of high protein are always safe meals that make me feel better....my dietitian made note of that.

I will look into testing, not many good endocrinologists listed in my area but will see, my thyroid needs help too...may be looking into an alternative type Dr anyways to take care of what traditional medicine has ignored.

For now at least I know to avoid sugar, I h ave been munching on almonds all day, avoided my usual juice & fruit & chocolate. Had a protein lunch.

Thank You soooo much for all the info & support!!!

georgie Enthusiast
~One Question do you know..... are a B12/folate serum panel & a Vitamin B12 test exactly the same or different?)

I am not sure. USA labs may be different to mine. But if your symptoms improved on ahigher dose of B12 lozenges - this sort of proves the point - doesn't it ? The second B12 test you had would not have been accurate. You can't get an accurate test once you start B12 treatment. Injections will probably give you a bigger boost but lots of lozenges should help as well ( if you can't get the shots). I take 5000mcg B12 between my monthly shots...

For now at least I know to avoid sugar, I h ave been munching on almonds all day, avoided my usual juice & fruit & chocolate. Had a protein lunch.

I know with me - I can really feel when the Insulin slows down and the Reactive HypoG gets under control. I actually find some chocolate is OK ( dark chocolate , and the fat must slow down the sugar). Everyone has a slightly different level of comfort. Keeping a food diary is handy. You may find that 1/2 an apple plus protein works for you ... etc Strawberries + cream ... that sort of idea. And don't be scared to eat last night's leftovers for morning tea! Just learn to eat small and often and with the bias to protein. And ALWAYS carry food with you - especially when driving the car. Over time you should find you grow stronger. That is what happened to me - then I forgot ... and fell off the wagon so have had to really be strict again..

my thyroid needs help too...may be looking into an alternative type Dr anyways to take care of what traditional medicine has ignored.

Great idea :)

Archived