This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Give You Neurological Symptons?

sixtytwo

sixtytwo Apprentice

As I am gluten intolerant/not celiac, I have a different reaction to major gluten. I feel sick to my stomach, light-headed, dizzy, sweaty, tired and like I am in a stupor and I just have to go to bed until it passes. This used to happen to me sometimes before I went gluten-free..........like a major sub or lots of pizza, very bready things. It happened to me when I ate Quaker oatmeal last summer and the I, foolishly, ate some pumpkin bread last week. I won't be doing that anymore. I also think that when I get gluten it bothers my fibromyalgia.

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amberlynn Contributor

I've only been gluten free for a few weeks, but I feel like I've been lifted out of a 'fog' now. I couldn't have a clear, concise thought or speak without stumbling over my words. You see those claritin commercials? The 'allergy fog' where the person is so miserable and just wants to lay around? Yeah, that was me! It wasn't so bad that I HAD to go to bed, but I sure wanted to!

My joints and muscles would ache (my chiropractor said it was either arthritis starting at 29 or its fibro).

I would always feel sick to my stomach. I had nausea all the time. And the gas! LOL! Oh my...

So, yes, I'd say it can cause neuro symptoms.

trents Grand Master

Barbara,

Why do you say you do not have Celiac disease? Have you had the edoscopy/biopsy done to verify that assertion? You say you get sick to your stomach when you ingest "major gluten". That certainly is a classic symptom of celiac disease.

nasalady Contributor

I was always told that there is no difference between the symptoms of celiac disease and the symptoms of non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI). Any symptom associated with celiac can be experienced by someone with NCGI. That's one reason there's been such controversy about whether or not NCGI is just celiac disease at an earler stage.

Skye-N Newbie

I used to have major "brain fog" all the time before I quit eating gluten about 2 years ago. I had been diagnosed with Fibromialgia about 10 years ago and had gotten much worse until I became gluten-free. I had also started having small strokes (TIAs) and partial seisures which were interfering in my life. Coincidentally, the TIAs and seisures became less frequent when I cut out gluten and now I don't seem to experience them at all anymore. I think that it's all related.

sixtytwo Apprentice

You are all right. I have fibromyalgia, migraines and a thyroid condition which all respond well to the gluten free diet, but I think I am gluten intolerant, caught before it became celiac disease. When doctors realize these things, then the gluten free diet will be recommended for more people to see if that helps them. They are making progress.

Barbara

DreamWalker Rookie

I definitely had the brain fog issue.

Also, look into your Vitamin B levels.

Skye - have you looked into other intolerances in addition to gluten as well? Particularly casein/milk protein?

Your post reminds me of a friend of mine with IBS, fibro, and idiopathic seizures that are not controlled with anti-epileptics.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amberlynn Contributor

Seizures and celiac are related??

After talking to my Mom about how I felt before going gluten-free, she kept saying "But I feel like that, I always have!" She just recently had a seizure in her sleep, and they can't figure out WHY she had a seizure - they just know she did. No history of seizures.

I also read depression is related? She's been on anti-depressants for YEARS, and they seem to work OK. She also has insomnia. She's going to try the gluten-free diet, but should she be checked for Celiac first?? I'm afraid that her doctor won't take her seriously about it. She had a stroke after brain surgery a few years ago, and sometimes I think its hard to get people to take her seriously (she has some trouble getting thoughts out).

Archived