7 replies to this topic

#1 sixtytwo

sixtytwo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:04 AM

As I am gluten intolerant/not celiac, I have a different reaction to major gluten. I feel sick to my stomach, light-headed, dizzy, sweaty, tired and like I am in a stupor and I just have to go to bed until it passes. This used to happen to me sometimes before I went gluten-free..........like a major sub or lots of pizza, very bready things. It happened to me when I ate Quaker oatmeal last summer and the I, foolishly, ate some pumpkin bread last week. I won't be doing that anymore. I also think that when I get gluten it bothers my fibromyalgia.

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 amberlynn

amberlynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

I've only been gluten free for a few weeks, but I feel like I've been lifted out of a 'fog' now. I couldn't have a clear, concise thought or speak without stumbling over my words. You see those claritin commercials? The 'allergy fog' where the person is so miserable and just wants to lay around? Yeah, that was me! It wasn't so bad that I HAD to go to bed, but I sure wanted to!

My joints and muscles would ache (my chiropractor said it was either arthritis starting at 29 or its fibro).

I would always feel sick to my stomach. I had nausea all the time. And the gas! LOL! Oh my...

So, yes, I'd say it can cause neuro symptoms.
Amber
Allergic to gluten - or possibly Celiac, testing very soon, and many seasonal environmental allergies. Mom of 2. #1 is anaphylactic to dairy, and allergic to soy and gluten. Dx'd with Autism 1/09, and responding very well to the gluten-free diet. #2 has outgrown all food allergies, but developed seasonal allergies that vary with the season.

#3 trents

trents

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:09 AM

Barbara,

Why do you say you do not have Celiac disease? Have you had the edoscopy/biopsy done to verify that assertion? You say you get sick to your stomach when you ingest "major gluten". That certainly is a classic symptom of celiac disease.

#4 nasalady

nasalady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:38 AM

I was always told that there is no difference between the symptoms of celiac disease and the symptoms of non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI). Any symptom associated with celiac can be experienced by someone with NCGI. That's one reason there's been such controversy about whether or not NCGI is just celiac disease at an earler stage.
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#5 Skye_N

Skye_N

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

I used to have major "brain fog" all the time before I quit eating gluten about 2 years ago. I had been diagnosed with Fibromialgia about 10 years ago and had gotten much worse until I became gluten-free. I had also started having small strokes (TIAs) and partial seisures which were interfering in my life. Coincidentally, the TIAs and seisures became less frequent when I cut out gluten and now I don't seem to experience them at all anymore. I think that it's all related.
Skye
Gluten free since September 2006

#6 sixtytwo

sixtytwo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

You are all right. I have fibromyalgia, migraines and a thyroid condition which all respond well to the gluten free diet, but I think I am gluten intolerant, caught before it became celiac disease. When doctors realize these things, then the gluten free diet will be recommended for more people to see if that helps them. They are making progress.

Barbara

#7 DreamWalker

DreamWalker

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

I definitely had the brain fog issue.
Also, look into your Vitamin B levels.

Skye - have you looked into other intolerances in addition to gluten as well? Particularly casein/milk protein?
Your post reminds me of a friend of mine with IBS, fibro, and idiopathic seizures that are not controlled with anti-epileptics.
A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.
- Albert Einstein

#8 amberlynn

amberlynn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:54 AM

Seizures and celiac are related??

After talking to my Mom about how I felt before going gluten-free, she kept saying "But I feel like that, I always have!" She just recently had a seizure in her sleep, and they can't figure out WHY she had a seizure - they just know she did. No history of seizures.

I also read depression is related? She's been on anti-depressants for YEARS, and they seem to work OK. She also has insomnia. She's going to try the gluten-free diet, but should she be checked for Celiac first?? I'm afraid that her doctor won't take her seriously about it. She had a stroke after brain surgery a few years ago, and sometimes I think its hard to get people to take her seriously (she has some trouble getting thoughts out).
Amber
Allergic to gluten - or possibly Celiac, testing very soon, and many seasonal environmental allergies. Mom of 2. #1 is anaphylactic to dairy, and allergic to soy and gluten. Dx'd with Autism 1/09, and responding very well to the gluten-free diet. #2 has outgrown all food allergies, but developed seasonal allergies that vary with the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: