This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Name Brand Foods Please....

tmbarke

tmbarke Apprentice

I spent 3-1/2 hours blind reading labels at Meijers in Michigan for 1 small cart of groceries.

I have only found a few name brand products that I can have that are gluten-free

Classico pasta sauce, V8 splash and V8 veggie juice, and Newmans own select dressings for salads and Kraft shredded cheese.

I ask because I can't afford to go to Harvest Health Foods and share my food with a non gluten-free brother and find I'm without my staples.

I'm a coupon abuser to the max and can still get great deals on name brand foods without spending hundreds of dollars in one trip.....granted I know what they are.

Can anyone give me some great name brand foods that are safe?

Gimme everything!

I've got a coupon for that! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Until you get the hang of label reading, I would like to recommend two published grocery guides.

Triumph Dining Gluten Free Grocery Guide

www.trimphdining.com

Cecelia's Market Place Gluten Free Grocery Shopping Guide

www.CeceliasMarketplace.com

Both can also be found on the Gluten Free Mall on this site, and they list over 30,000 common grocery items.

tmbarke Apprentice
Until you get the hang of label reading, I would like to recommend two published grocery guides.

Triumph Dining Gluten Free Grocery Guide

www.trimphdining.com

Cecelia's Market Place Gluten Free Grocery Shopping Guide

www.CeceliasMarketplace.com

Both can also be found on the Gluten Free Mall on this site, and they list over 30,000 common grocery items.

Thank You!

I had found some sites but then lost them during my searches.

I will use these well!

Thank You again.

jststric Contributor

Unfortunately, about the time you have become very complacent about knowing which brands/foods you can safely have, often they change manufacturing facilities or change their recipes and you are severely glutened out of the blue. So keep looking at those labels, even if its a familiar item! It won't always take 3+ hrs to do it, though. I live in the western burbs of Detroit and Trader Joe's and Better Health stores are good to shop at also. Many of the Walmarts are beginning to carry quite a bit gluten-free items. I have found, though, that whether its Walmart or Better Health (a more expensive store) the costs of those type of items don't change too much. You can buy them through the Gluten-Free Mall and other known sites that carry groceries for just as good or a little better because you can buy more quantity. As for the brother-----I would threaten hands being cut off for eating up my gluten-free products!!!

Shess0816 Apprentice

Some other ones that are gluten free are: Cookies BBQ sauce, Prego spaghetti sauce, Chex cereal has several flavors that are gluten free, a lot of the edy's ice cream flavors are gluten free, many of the dorito's flavors are gluten free, fresh fruit, veggies, and meats, there are these individual serving rice cups by Minute Rice, I believe, I've started buying (I know Wal-Mart carries them) and they are gluten free (they have white rice and brown rice).... A lot of shredded and block cheeses are okay, some mainstream lunch meats are fine.

If your grocery store has a nutritionist, he or she should be able to help you put together a list with the gluten free foods they offer. I know that Hy-Vee near my house already has an entire notebook created with every single gluten free product they offer, which aisle it is located in, and how much it costs.

Hope that helps some! It is more expensive, but it's worth it to feel better!!

heatherjane Contributor

Since you're shopping at Meijer, they do list the allergen info on all their store brands online.

Open Original Shared Link

Scroll down under the section labeled "Meijer Brand Gluten Free Products and Allergen List", and click on the link that says "View List Here".

They aren't name brand products, but are usually cheaper and just as good. Plus, Meijer has taken a lot of the guess-work out of buying their products. (Good for them!)

heatherjane Contributor

...And speaking of Meijer - looks like they're having a Gluten Free Informational event, Saturday 10/24, 10am-1pm!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tmbarke Apprentice

I most certainly do appreciate your help taking the 'sting' out of the hunt.

I do realize the change of process is always the possibility, but to go right to it and double check could save me the time for sure.

I simply love the one crackers I did find in the gluten free aisle - Healthy Gatherings Multi-Seed Crackers and they're oven baked!

the cost of 3.19 per bag seems worth it if the flavor is this good! And I'm not guessing either.

I will certainly check the sites you've offered and I'm IN on that gluten free day!

You're all so helpful - and I know I couldn't do this alone.........thanks for being my rock to lean on.

Mean that!

tmbarke Apprentice
...And speaking of Meijer - looks like they're having a Gluten Free Informational event, Saturday 10/24, 10am-1pm!

Which Meijers?

greenmatter Newbie

Thanks for the tips!! :)

heatherjane Contributor
Which Meijers?

The website doesn't specify, so I assume it's all of them. (I live in KY, but there's no mention of state or locality at all on the site.) I may just try to show up around that time and see what's up. :)

summerteeth Enthusiast

I know that the Meijer store in McHenry, IL is doing it, but I am not sure about the others.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Darn, I have to work on Saturday. Maybe I can send an envoy of teen agers!

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
I spent 3-1/2 hours blind reading labels at Meijers in Michigan for 1 small cart of groceries.

I have only found a few name brand products that I can have that are gluten-free

Classico pasta sauce, V8 splash and V8 veggie juice,

Are you sure the V8 products are Gluten Free???... I contacted Campbell's in the last 30 days and was advised that all of their products may contain Gluten.. Maybe someone else has a better responce...

tmbarke Apprentice
Are you sure the V8 products are Gluten Free???... I contacted Campbell's in the last 30 days and was advised that all of their products may contain Gluten.. Maybe someone else has a better responce...

I'M SURE I SAW IT ON THEIR SAFE LIST.....LET ME CHECK THIS LABEL HERE...

tomato juice from concentrate (water, tomato concentrate), reconstituted vegetable juice blend ( water and concentrated juice of carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach) potassium chloride, sugar, magnesium, salt, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), citric acid, spice extract, flavorings, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.

What's the red flag here?

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
I'M SURE I SAW IT ON THEIR SAFE LIST.....LET ME CHECK THIS LABEL HERE...

tomato juice from concentrate (water, tomato concentrate), reconstituted vegetable juice blend ( water and concentrated juice of carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach) potassium chloride, sugar, magnesium, salt, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), citric acid, spice extract, flavorings, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.

What's the red flag here?

It may just be the cc issue??

gfmolly Contributor

Flavorings is the red flag imo. I would call on that one.

It may just be the cc issue??
nmlove Contributor
Which Meijers?

I called my local Meijer and it sounds like all of them. They weren't overly helpful but from what the woman said it's one of those deals where someone's in the grocery section with free samples/info. Something they seem to have every time I'm there. "Would you like to try *food* today?"

tmbarke Apprentice

I DON'T THINK i'LL NEED TO EAT LUNCH IF THEY'RE JUST OFFERING GLUTEN FREE FOODS!

WOW - THAT'S LIKE A SPECIAL ONE TIME ONLY TREAT!

MAYBE I CAN GET MORE EDUMACATED! LOL

(HUKT ONN FONNIX RILEE WERKT FER MEEE!)

tmbarke Apprentice

I just thought I'd add another product to the list

I had contacted Bolthouse and inquired about any possible cross contamination with their gluten-free products - and their reply was.........

Tena,

Wm. Bolthouse Farms prides itself on producing the highest quality beverage products available. The purpose of the Bolthouse Farms Allergen Policy is to implement procedures to ensure that we comply with the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004. Allergens are recognized as an important food safety issue, and as a manufacturer, Bolthouse is taking all necessary precautions to protect human health and eliminate cross-contamination issues associated with allergens.

Bolthouse Farms employs a state of the art cleaning system (CIP) that assures proper sanitation and sterilization before and after each allergenic production run.

To ensure that no potentially harmful protein residues remain following a run that contains one of the eight major allergens, testing is conducted on the next produced beverage. Results are recorded on the Quality Assurance analytical record. No positive results have been recorded to date. In the event of a positive result, the entire production and batching system would be shut down and re-sanitized and all products produced would be discarded.

If we may be of further assistance, please write or call our Customer Service line at 800-467-4683.

Sincerely,

Julie Soley

Consumer Relations

Bolthouse Farms

E-Mail: jsoley@bolthouse.com

And I'll have to say - their classic ranch yogurt dressing found in the produce aisle is better than hidden valley ranch if not close to it! And they sent me coupons too! NIIIICE!!!!!

I told them I'd spread the word on this forum so that you all could feel safe about that dressing - and I highly recommend you try it! I'm in love with it.

Tena

Lisa Mentor

V-8 is gluten free as are Splashes.

Frances03 Enthusiast

Thank you so much for posting this! I just called them too, and they are sending me coupons. I love their strawberry banana smoothie!! and I'm so excited to try their salad dressings! I hate hidden valley ranch, totally tastes fake to me, so I can't wait to try this ranch and see if I like it!

I just thought I'd add another product to the list

I had contacted Bolthouse and inquired about any possible cross contamination with their gluten-free products - and their reply was.........

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
V-8 is gluten free as are Splashes.

I checked the web-site and V8 is Gluten Free... I can't figure out why the person on the phone when I called said different....

Archived