This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trouble With Kinnikinnick Donuts

finally diagnosed

finally diagnosed Apprentice

I have found the chocolate covered donuts at the supermarket the other day gluten free, wheat free, soy free, dairy free.. and of course I had 3 of them. I feel totally awful. I feel like I can't concentrate, irribitable, just being mean at times. Total Fog. I also made corn chowder this week and used green giant creamed corn, which I haven't used in a while.

Has anyone else had a similiar reaction from these products? PS got the flu shot last wednesday.

Thanks for any help or advice. Lorrie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I love their chocolate donuts but I have noticed my tummy talks to me alot after I've had one.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Sometines I'm a bit bloated after one but that seems to be the extent of my symptoms...try the sugar covered donuts, those are amazing and no reaction! Maybe something in the chocolate gets to us?

Silly Yak Pete Rookie

Just because you eat a product that is gluten free and you stomach gives you problems doesnt mean that product gave you the contamination. You might have other sensitivities or accidently ingested gluten with prior foods you may have eaten that day.

Just because you eat a product that is gluten free and you stomach gives you problems doesnt mean that product gave you the contamination. You might have other sensitivities or accidently ingested gluten with prior foods you may have eaten that day.

I totally agree I am trying to find out if anyone else has had a funny reaction to these foods. So if they have I can relate my crappy feeling symptoms to it. I am very careful about cc so that is why I asked the question because these are the only two new foods I added to my diet.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Three doughnuts is a lot of doughnuts. This is especially true for gluten-free doughnuts because of the super high carb count.

Maybe you should wait awhile and then try eating just one before you decide they're contaminated?

If Kinnikinnick is having cross contamination issues, we're ALL gonna be jacked up.

Three doughnuts is a lot of doughnuts. This is especially true for gluten-free doughnuts because of the super high carb count.

Maybe you should wait awhile and then try eating just one before you decide they're contaminated?

If Kinnikinnick is having cross contamination issues, we're ALL gonna be jacked up.

yes i know 3 is a lot of doughnuts... but i was like a kid in a candy shop, found something i could have and had 3 over a period of a day... not all at once... ;0)

i will try eating another one,, just to see if this is the case. boy i hope not...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

three doughnuts over one day would make me feel incredibly ill. too much sugar and refined carbs.

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hi.

Hmmmm. You may have other intolerances. I can not eat ANY Kinnikinnick products because they all contain pea protein. I'm soy free and have found that all beans, peas & legumes are terrible for my tummy. Have you had any of their other products? Do you react to them?

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I know it the donuts since I've experimented with them. No problems with legumes. I have not tried anything other than the chocolate ones. Maybe next time I'll try one of the other two kinds our story carries. Sure now I want a donut for breakfast. lol

esammarie Newbie

I share the concern about the amount of sugar and carbs, especially from legume flours that can cause gas and bloating, consumed all at once. Before suspecting contamination or a celiac issue, I'd think about the digestion problems resulting from consuming three donuts with the ingredients they contain - and while your GI system is still trying to heal from gluten damage and may not be processing everything normally. Even people without celiac disease can have GI distress from eating lots of refined sugar products in one sitting. I'd also want to consume a good amount of water to help the system stay hydrated for digestion.

So sorry something yummy and exciting caused you so much trouble!

JayB Newbie

Hi there,

Jay From Kinnikinnick here. I'd firstly like to assure you of the steps we take to make sure everything you buy from Kinnikinnick is gluten free. I have written 2 extensive blog posts on this.

Now, on to what may be the issue with the donuts. There could be several things.

The use of pea as a replacement for soy in our products has been a issue for some people.

We use non hydrogenated palm fruit oil for frying and in our products which some people have issues with.

There is also the issue of the 3 donuts (6 g fibre, 18g of fat, 120g of carbs, 80 g of sugar in 3).

You could be intolerant to one or more of the ingredients.

There is also another possibility. (note: the following should not be taken as medical advice) We use FOS (fructooligosaccharides) and Inulin in many of our products. These are "prebiotic" ingredients made from chicory and help promote the growth of good intestinal flora. If the intestinal flora has never been exposed to these prebiotics or the good/bad bacterial ratios are out of balance, bloating can occur. Some individuals are also just particularly sensitive to levels of FOS and Inulin. This usually subsides over time if the prebiotic environment is maintained and the ratios normalize but may continue if the individual is sensitive.

You might try a half portion for a while and see if you see any effects or if they moderate. If you are a sensitive individual there may be nothing you can do.

Hope this helps and if you have any further concerns or questions let me know

edit: re: "Maybe something in the chocolate gets to us? " The icing is pretty simple. Sugar, water, glucose (from corn), cocoa powder

DMarie Apprentice

While I like Kinnikinnick products, I sometimes do not feel right after eating them. I have tried the donuts, did not feel right after, so haven't eaten them again. Sometimes I can eat the English Muffins - but on occasion it bothers me (I can relate to the being irritable - also I get a headache, seems like my heart rate might go up - it just is a not right feeling. It is hard to remember exactly because I don't eat them very often since I don't like how I could end up feeling).

I have recently tried my hand at making gluten-free bagels (recipe from the Living Without magazine) - and love those - so I see myself rarely eating the Kinnikinnick products since I seem to do better when I make these things myself.

Hi there,

Jay From Kinnikinnick here. I'd firstly like to assure you of the steps we take to make sure everything you buy from Kinnikinnick is gluten free. I have written 2 extensive blog posts on this.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

You also might be interested in a short video we produced on the Importance of a Dedicated Gluten Free Facility. (note: this is released under a creative commons license so if you'd like to share or use it, feel free)

I encourage you to read the blog entries and post any further questions you may have here.

Now, on to what may be the issue with the donuts. There could be several things.

The use of pea as a replacement for soy in our products has been a issue for some people.

We use non hydrogenated palm fruit oil for frying and in our products which some people have issues with.

There is also the issue of the 3 donuts (6 g fibre, 18g of fat, 120g of carbs, 80 g of sugar in 3).

You could be intolerant to one or more of the ingredients.

There is also another possibility. (note: the following should not be taken as medical advice) We use FOS (fructooligosaccharides) and Inulin in many of our products. These are "prebiotic" ingredients made from chicory and help promote the growth of good intestinal flora. If the intestinal flora has never been exposed to these prebiotics or the good/bad bacterial ratios are out of balance, bloating can occur. Some individuals are also just particularly sensitive to levels of FOS and Inulin. This usually subsides over time if the prebiotic environment is maintained and the ratios normalize but may continue if the individual is sensitive.

You might try a half portion for a while and see if you see any effects or if they moderate. If you are a sensitive individual there may be nothing you can do.

Hope this helps and if you have any further concerns or questions let me know

I'm also on twitter if you want a quick(ish) response twitter.com/gf_insider

edit: re: "Maybe something in the chocolate gets to us? " The icing is pretty simple. Sugar, water, glucose (from corn), cocoa powder

Hi thanks for the info... I was just questioning if anyone else has had a problem with the donuts.. I know eating 3 in a day is probably not the best thing. I am always careful (been gluten free for 3 years now) and I got a little excitied when I found the product. I quite possibly could have a bug etc. and I also had made corn chowder which i hadn't made in years... I do use the other products and don't have a problem. Thanks again everyone

• 9 months later...
Zachnap Newbie

Yes. I have bought their glazed donuts twice. From the first box I had severe stomach aches and diarrhea after eating the donuts from that box on two or three occasions. I just bought a second box and the first donut gave me very mild stomach aches and this morning I had severe stomach aches and diarrhea after eating a donut. I am convinced their products are not Gluten Free. I've noticed they are on sale at the store for about $2.50 off the normal price. This tells me they are trying to move product. The cheaper the price the more likely non-celiacs are to buy the products - thus, the move the inventory while decreasing the chances that a celiac will consume.

Zachnap Newbie

I have had severe stomach aches and diarrhea on multiple occasions after eating these donuts. One of these occasions was this morning and why I am posting now. To the Kinnick-guy: I have never had any problem with anything else other than gluten and these symptoms are the exact symptoms I get when eating gluten.

Heidi S. Rookie

They do contain eggs. I can not eat them due to my egg allergy, are you sensitive to eggs?

Ginsou Explorer

I've had no problem with Kinnikinnick donuts. I prefer the sugar coated ones to the glazed, simply a matter of taste. I have noticed that when I have more than a few Tablespoons of 100% real maple syrup on pancakes or waffles, I feel slightly sick to my stomach. I've always been that way. You never know what might be bothering you. I'm on the way to the store to purchase K hamburger buns and donuts.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I love Kinnikinnick donuts. My local store didn't carry the chocolate ones back when I could eat them. I had to mail order them and I did. Unfortunately as I got more sensitive to trace gluten I became unable to eat them anymore without having symptoms of a gluten reaction. Are you sensitive to a lot of processed foods? They are very careful there, but there is only so much that can be done. I'm now on a mainly whole foods diet.

Archived