This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Bangor Maine Area?

homemaker

homemaker Enthusiast

Just wondering if there are support groups in the Bangor ME area....

Also, wondering if support groups accept those with Gluten sensitivity only or who have not been

formally diagnosed by the "Gold Standard" route.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I can't answer the Bangor question but I don't know of a group that wouldn't let you join them just because you're not officially a Celiac! If you're gluten free (or even if you aren't and just learning for a spouse/family member or friend) you're welcome......it's about educating folks and helping...no judgments from us!!

Aroostook Newbie

I live in Caribou, but am familiar with Bangor as all my doctors are down there! You should get a hold of EMMC or St. Joseph's and ask them about support groups. You have several great stores in your area for buying the gluten-free foods. I get down at least once a month and shop! You also have a great restraunt group that offer gluten-free eating and many are aware of what Celiac is. Good luck and let me know what you find out.

homemaker Enthusiast
I live in Caribou, but am familiar with Bangor as all my doctors are down there! You should get a hold of EMMC or St. Joseph's and ask them about support groups. You have several great stores in your area for buying the gluten-free foods. I get down at least once a month and shop! You also have a great restraunt group that offer gluten-free eating and many are aware of what Celiac is. Good luck and let me know what you find out.

Thanks for your reply....could you give me the name of the restaurants that are gluten-free friendly?

Aroostook Newbie
Thanks for your reply....could you give me the name of the restaurants that are gluten-free friendly?

First off, we always go to the Texas Road House. Ask to see the gluten free list. I always have the 6 or 8 oz sirloin, baked potato with sour cream on the side, applesauce. (Always a safe choice no matter where you go!)

My next favorite place! We always eat here! ;) I think it is called the China Buffett behind PetCo?. I eat the ham, rice noodle, string beans, fried rice, (they use the cheep soy sauce in it and it doesn't have wheat!), french fries, salad bar.

We also eat at Denney's. I have the eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, hash browns, all with no toast.

Uno's, Olive Grarden, and the 99 all have gluten free menus though I haven't gotten there yet.

Pat's Pizza in Hampden has a gluten-free pizza! So I figure they must have it at all their sites.

When worse comes to worse and I can't find an eatery or I am in a hurry, fast food is okay. Burger King fries and vanilla shake are safe. NEVER McDonalds, fries coated shakes have gluten. Wendys, baked potato for me hamburg no bun. And of course Subway salads are great!

In Old Town I have found the former Chocolate Grill (maybe it still is the Chocolate Grill,but it is right there by the dam) I had the specialty burger with no bun, salad, and baked potatoes.(Their fries are coated!) Just make them aware you can't have wheat barley rye and they are great about helping you.

Check out this link for more info: Open Original Shared Link

I also have been know to bring along my own bread to put my burger in or eat with my eggs. Nobody has ever said anything. I hope this helps you out. Did you find a support group? I have doctors appt. the end of the month. If you didn't I can ask them if they know of any in that area. Good luck. Don't hesitate to contact me if anytime, we can help each other.

homemaker Enthusiast
First off, we always go to the Texas Road House. Ask to see the gluten free list. I always have the 6 or 8 oz sirloin, baked potato with sour cream on the side, applesauce. (Always a safe choice no matter where you go!)

My next favorite place! We always eat here! ;) I think it is called the China Buffett behind PetCo?. I eat the ham, rice noodle, string beans, fried rice, (they use the cheep soy sauce in it and it doesn't have wheat!), french fries, salad bar.

We also eat at Denney's. I have the eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, hash browns, all with no toast.

Uno's, Olive Grarden, and the 99 all have gluten free menus though I haven't gotten there yet.

Pat's Pizza in Hampden has a gluten-free pizza! So I figure they must have it at all their sites.

When worse comes to worse and I can't find an eatery or I am in a hurry, fast food is okay. Burger King fries and vanilla shake are safe. NEVER McDonalds, fries coated shakes have gluten. Wendys, baked potato for me hamburg no bun. And of course Subway salads are great!

In Old Town I have found the former Chocolate Grill (maybe it still is the Chocolate Grill,but it is right there by the dam) I had the specialty burger with no bun, salad, and baked potatoes.(Their fries are coated!) Just make them aware you can't have wheat barley rye and they are great about helping you.

Check out this link for more info: Open Original Shared Link

I also have been know to bring along my own bread to put my burger in or eat with my eggs. Nobody has ever said anything. I hope this helps you out. Did you find a support group? I have doctors appt. the end of the month. If you didn't I can ask them if they know of any in that area. Good luck. Don't hesitate to contact me if anytime, we can help each other.

Thanks Aroostook...

That will be very helpful...

No I have not found a support group yet...I am taking things in baby steps, and perhaps I am a little shy about asking... :unsure:

But Whole Foods in Portland is having a Nutritionist Gluten free living Talk this Saturday Oct. 24th along with gluten-free samples etc.

I plan on taking the trek down there. My Celiac Sister lives in Portland and I might meet her there.... :)

When I get the courage up, I will call some of those support numbers. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I have

not been "gold standard" diagnosed...I don't know...

But Thanks.... :)

miles2go Contributor

Hi Homemaker, welcome to the board! Aroostook has given you some good restaurant advice (ooo, China Buffet has gluten-free soy sauce??) and we don't eat out a whole lot, but are partial to Thai restaurants when we do. I haven't come across one in the area that I couldn't find several things to eat and on special occasions have had some wonderful meals at Cafe Nouveau and Thistle's.

As for your worry about going to a support group with an intolerance, I can tell you this. The Celiac Sprue Support Group of the Greater Bangor Area that's listed here: Open Original Shared Link

is run by the nutritionist who came closest to diagnosing me with celiac. I had been gluten-light for eight years previously, but had the classic celiac signs. Her name is Katherine Musgrave and she is a professor emerita here at the University of Maine. Ann Delaware is very nice, too. I only went once because I'm not a "groupy" kind of person, but that one visit gave me a great kick-start. Go! Don't worry!

:D

Margaret

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aroostook Newbie

At the moment am eating left over fried rice from the Jade Palace in Caribou. They too have gluten-free soy sauce. (Though the table kidomen bottles say have wheat, I know they refill them and cook with a wheat free soy sauce!) I love their pork fried rice and a side order of chicken wings. MMMM! I was kinda of diagnosed by a doc out of Portland who wanted further test, but with my history of biopsy complications we went gluten-free. It did the trick and I am 100% better on those issues. I have a great doc in Bangor and they are my support team. You need to find a doctor who will support you even if the tests come out negative and keep digging until they find what is wrong. It has taken me 50 years to find one and dammit he better not decide to retire or die!! Have a great day all!

miles2go Contributor
At the moment am eating left over fried rice from the Jade Palace in Caribou. They too have gluten-free soy sauce. (Though the table kidomen bottles say have wheat, I know they refill them and cook with a wheat free soy sauce!)

Noodles in Brewer does this too, come to think of it. I would ask first, just to be sure they haven't changed things.

Who do you see for a doctor in Bangor, if you don't mind my asking?

Margaret

homemaker Enthusiast
At the moment am eating left over fried rice from the Jade Palace in Caribou. They too have gluten-free soy sauce. (Though the table kidomen bottles say have wheat, I know they refill them and cook with a wheat free soy sauce!) I love their pork fried rice and a side order of chicken wings. MMMM! I was kinda of diagnosed by a doc out of Portland who wanted further test, but with my history of biopsy complications we went gluten-free. It did the trick and I am 100% better on those issues. I have a great doc in Bangor and they are my support team. You need to find a doctor who will support you even if the tests come out negative and keep digging until they find what is wrong. It has taken me 50 years to find one and dammit he better not decide to retire or die!! Have a great day all!

Aroostook...may I ask who your Doc is? I have a General Practitioner and he pretty much dismissed it after my Celiac Panel came back negative. My sister has Celiac and I have had a positive response to a Gluten Free Diet, but I have NO support team at all.

Thanks

homemaker Enthusiast
Hi Homemaker, welcome to the board! Aroostook has given you some good restaurant advice (ooo, China Buffet has gluten-free soy sauce??) and we don't eat out a whole lot, but are partial to Thai restaurants when we do. I haven't come across one in the area that I couldn't find several things to eat and on special occasions have had some wonderful meals at Cafe Nouveau and Thistle's.

As for your worry about going to a support group with an intolerance, I can tell you this. The Celiac Sprue Support Group of the Greater Bangor Area that's listed here: Open Original Shared Link

is run by the nutritionist who came closest to diagnosing me with celiac. I had been gluten-light for eight years previously, but had the classic celiac signs. Her name is Katherine Musgrave and she is a professor emerita here at the University of Maine. Ann Delaware is very nice, too. I only went once because I'm not a "groupy" kind of person, but that one visit gave me a great kick-start. Go! Don't worry!

:D

Margaret

Thanks ever so much for the info...I have e-mailed Ann to see when the group meets....Thanks so much!

• 3 months later...
JMD Newbie

Just wondering if there are support groups in the Bangor ME area....

Also, wondering if support groups accept those with Gluten sensitivity only or who have not been

formally diagnosed by the "Gold Standard" route.

Thanks

The Bangor Celiac group meets the third Tuesday of the month (except Dec.) at the Saint Joseph's Old Firehouse meeting room at 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Please join us.

Joan

Archived