This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cat Litter & Cat Food

Tigercat17

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good cat food and cat litter that are gluten free. I've been gluten free for a month now & I'm still not feeling that much better. So, I was wondering if maybe I should change my cat litter & cat food. I use tidy cat scoopable liter & Friskies. I see the Friskies definitely has wheat gluten in it so I'll definitely change that, but I'm not sure about the cat litter. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks Cat Lovers!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Becci Enthusiast

I had a kitten for a week and had to get rid of her. All catfood I saw had gluten in it, and I was getting extremely sick from handling it and her...

I hope someone can help you..

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good cat food and cat litter that are gluten free. I've been gluten free for a month now & I'm still not feeling that much better. So, I was wondering if maybe I should change my cat litter & cat food. I use tidy cat scoopable liter & Friskies. I see the Friskies definitely has wheat gluten in it so I'll definitely change that, but I'm not sure about the cat litter. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks Cat Lovers!

jerseyangel Proficient

For my kitty, who I had for 18 years before he passed away in May, I used Scoop Away litter and Science Diet food. Most litters are simply clay, except for a brand or two made from wheat and those are easy to spot.

There are many other gluten-free pet foods--you can do a search here to find them. The Science Diet (dry) is widely available--just read the labels as you would for your own foods :)

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Thanks Becci & Jerseyangel!

I'll check out the Science diet cat food today! I think the Tidy cat litter just has clay in it, but I did email them just to make sure.

Sorry, about your kittie, Jerseygirl. I know it's hard to lose a special pet. I can't live with out my two cats, Bella & Chloe!

At least now they're be healthier, too. From what I understand wheat gluten is really not healthy for them anyway. I think they'll be happier with the food change! I hope anyway...

And I won't have to worry about washing their cat bowls out in the sink. And of course, giving them lots of hugs & kisses! :D

Thanks!

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks Becci & Jerseyangel!

I'll check out the Science diet cat food today! I think the Tidy cat litter just has clay in it, but I did email them just to make sure.

Sorry, about your kittie, Jerseygirl. I know it's hard to lose a special pet. I can't live with out my two cats, Bella & Chloe!

At least now they're be healthier, too. From what I understand wheat gluten is really not healthy for them anyway. I think they'll be happier with the food change! I hope anyway...

And I won't have to worry about washing their cat bowls out in the sink. And of course, giving them lots of hugs & kisses! :D

Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words :)

Yes, your litter is just clay, nothing to be concerned about. I switched my kitty over to the Science Diet about 4 years ago and noticed that his beautiful coat became even thicker and shinier. I really feel he did much better off wheat gluten--and yes, it will be so much easier for you to not have to worry about the bowls and kitty kisses :D

Raven's Mum Newbie

There are quite a few foods available for cats that are gluten free. Of course when Raven was diagnosed, we were using SweatScoop litter that is made from wheat. <_< We switched to one that is clumping pine. I liked the SweetScoop becaue it's clumping but you can flush it so I was happy to find a pine one that is the same deal, clumping but flushable. The cats are just nearing the end of their gluteny food. I might try the new grain free Felidae, unless something else grabs my attention in the store! lol

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

I just tried the new Fancy Feast Appetizers on the cats tonight. Bella ate a little, but Chloe didn't eat any of it. <_<

I'll have to go to the store tomorrow & try something different. I'll look for the grain free Felidae, too.

Thanks Raven's Mum! I didn't know they made clumping litter that you could flush! That's good to know.

And I'll check out the Science Diet , too. Chloe is just so picky. What a Life they got! lol :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Raven's Mum Newbie

I couldn't live without the flushable litter. My sphynx cat has the WORST smelling poops. :blink: As soon as it's out of her, I'm in there scooping and flushing! lol

shirleyujest Contributor

There are quite a few grain-free cat foods following the scare a couple years back. I feed mine a prescription food mixed with Wellness grain-free which you can get at many pet supply stores or on-line if your local store does not carry it.

butterfl8 Rookie

The "World's Best Cat Litter" really is the best, and is made of corn. Best of all, it isn't dusty like clay litters. And it seems to last forever. It really seems to be the best!!

psawyer Proficient
The "World's Best Cat Litter" really is the best, and is made of corn. Best of all, it isn't dusty like clay litters. And it seems to last forever. It really seems to be the best!!

We use it and love it. It is flushable, too.

positivenrgfairy Apprentice

Whoa... I thought you couldn't get sick from inhaling it... so what do you mean handling it was making you sick?

I've had my cats for 10 year and they aren't going anywhere.

I had a kitten for a week and had to get rid of her. All catfood I saw had gluten in it, and I was getting extremely sick from handling it and her...

I hope someone can help you..

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Still on my quest to find good gluten free cat food. Seems like there's a lot of dry bagged food that is gluten free, but the canned ,wet cats seem harder to find. I did try a few, but my Chloe doesn't want anything to do with it...I even tried mixing it in with her old gluten food. So now she has decided to just eat the dry food instead & totally avoids the canned food. She's way to smart. :rolleyes:

Last night I gave my cat Bella a big kiss on her cheek an hour after she was eating without thinking. :unsure: And then I instantly got an itching feeling on the roof of my mouth. So I went to the bathroom & brushed my teeth. I did go away, but I wonder if I did get glutened?

Has anyone got that itching feel on the roof of their month? I used to get it all the time, before I went gluten free, but now I just get it once in a while. I do have other allergies so I'm not sure.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Whoa... I thought you couldn't get sick from inhaling it... so what do you mean handling it was making you sick?

I've had my cats for 10 year and they aren't going anywhere.

When you inhale dust from gluten, like with wheat based litters or stuff like drywall compound or flour floating in the air, the dust goes into your nose and then down into the back of your throat and that is enough to get us.

I just use a clay based litter and a grainfree dry food. There are some varities of canned that don't use wheat, I have good luck with both Friskies and 9 Lives but I do read the cans.

Archived