9 replies to this topic

#1 anglepoise

anglepoise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:28 AM

Hi, I've had some weird things happen to me in the last month. Several weeks back, I got what looked like food poisoning, & wound up in the hospital, where I had to get rehydrated with an IV. So there was that, then a few days back, my fiance & I were on a road trip, when I started to get these waves of stomach cramps. They soon became terribly severe & started migrating to my intestines. Pretty soon, both my stomach & intestines were cramping in waves, so bad that I was screaming into a pillow. I felt like I'd been shot. This went on for an hour & 1/2. I honestly thought I was dying. We were in the mountains, nowhere near a medical facility, so we just pulled over & I hoped they would pass. All in all, I had the cramping for 4 1/2 hours. It was a nightmare. I've never had anything like that before. I've been gluten free for about a year & wonder if I got contaminated in both instances. Blood tests showed that I didn't have food poisoning after all in the 1st instance. Has this stuff happened to others here?

angel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:17 AM

I was in the ER 4 times before my diagnosis because of what they thought was dehydration. Blood tests found nothing wrong with me either. I thought I had food poisoning and it turns out before I was diagnosed I had not only ecoli(from a McDonalds Big Mac <_< ) but I also had mono...so there was my trigger

Anyways I know what you have been through(haven't had severe stomach cramps but I have had alot of other stuff)...since being gluten free that hasn't happened at all so maybe you were contaminated...did your fiance eat something then kiss you and you got contaminated that way? Have you checked lipsticks, shampoos, and lotions already? Try to track down every possible way you think you could have been contaminated.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 mela14

mela14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:40 AM

I also had the same thing happen. I wound up in the hospital several times with stomach pain, diahrea, dizzy, muscle pain, fatigue....each time I was rehydrated by IV and told it was probably the flu. Once they even told me I had Giardia and put me on Flagyl for it. when the stool test came back it was negative. I was actualy tested a few times and each time was negative for parasites and ova.
In hindsight it was probably gluten or some other food intolerance that I never suspected. I never thought I had a food intolerance but am realizing more and more that diet is key.
hang in there til you figure out what you can eat and try to scrutinize everything.
B)
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#4 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:41 AM

I have also experienced those kinds of pain attacks throughout my years, both before and after the gluten free diet. Mine also passed after about the four to five hour period. The only thing that helped me was my heating pad, on the floor, rocking back and forth, humming to myself, trying to get myself into a "place in my mind" where I didn't feel the pain...... I have never figured out through what has brought them on.... For me, it kind of felt like there was a vice grip in my abdomen pulling it apart.....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#5 anewsprue

anewsprue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

That's the kind of pain I had last time I was in the ER, before the final diagnosis of celiac disease. I had that kind of pain once before when I had a bladder infection with spasms, lasted about four to five hours and they think I passed a kidney stone. Might want to have a UA and be checked for an infection. Hurt like childbirth. :o

#6 hsd1203

hsd1203

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

just FYI... the only time I get stomach pains that bad (WAY worse than getting glutened) and literally want to die, is when I eat something with aspartame. even suger free gum is enough to give me a little tummy ache. sounds weird, I know, but it happens to my mom and aunt too. maybe on your road trip you were eating different than usual?

just a thought

#7 anglepoise

anglepoise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:05 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your views. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone in this.
On another note, I downloaded the radio show on Celiac called "Gut Reaction," from Audibles.com & gave it a listen. It's very moving & powerful, but left me confused. Everyone at the end of the show was saying that the gluten-free diet was a like a miracle cure & that they feel so much better. I've been on the diet now about a year, as strictly as possible, & although I've seen a decline in bowel problems & migraines, I still have a lot of other problems, like joint/muscle pain & fatigue. I definitely cannot call the gluten-free diet a miracle cure, but it's certainly helped some.

angel

#8 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:30 AM

Every one responds differently. Some people take longer to heal than others. I would have to put myself into the group of people who call the gluten free diet a miracle. I didn't heal overnight either. My life is now the polar opposite of what it was. Keep at it, it will get better.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#9 antmimi

antmimi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

Have you been tested for food allergies? Sometimes that can cause the symptoms too. Rice kills my stomach.

#10 mela14

mela14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:55 AM

ok.......suffering here too......I am learning that soy is worse for me than gluten!
last night I had a gluten-free cookie that clearly stated on the package that it is produced in a facility that also uses dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts and tree nuts! Unfortunately I didn't bother to read that part but hubby read it this morning only AFTER I was so sick. I must be THAT sensitive! I am trying to stay positive but feeling so poorly just gets me down. I can't seem to get it right. there are so many things to watch out for! soy is a killer for me! :blink:
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: