18 replies to this topic

#1 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

Does anyone know if the grilled chicken patties offered at McDonald's is gluten-free? I'm planning a long road trip home soon and was wondering if a quick McD's stop could be possible? Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:33 AM

McDonald's is a tricky beast......I think most folks choose to stay away from there because of the gluten free items being questionable. I don't know a definite answer about the grilled chicken but I'd stick to Wendy's or Chick-Fil-A or something.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:45 AM

Here is their full ingredients listing:

http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

No It's not. Here is the ingredients of the grilled breast
Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn
gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins
, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80,
xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.
CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

That's the same problem I keep running into with many "ready to go" food items at Central Market (big Whole Foods). The ingredient listed as:

hydrolyzed (corn, soy, wheat) gluten, or hydrolyzed (corn, soy, wheat) protein

I wonder if they really contain all three, or if it's a CYA statement because they don't really know? Really sucks.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#6 kera87

kera87

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

If you want to stop at a fast food place definitely pick Wendys, you can get a baked potato, chili, salad...i get their grilled chicken salad so maybe you could get a piece of grilled chicken there :)

And I didn't know you could get chicken from chick fil a....the grilled chicken patties are gluten-free? I need to look this up! There is one in my mall and it always looks so yummy.
gluten free since 12/07

#7 Mommy2Many

Mommy2Many

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

I would say no. Unless they have changed things since I worked there, all burgers, buns, and chicken are heated on the same grill press. My son has Celiac Disease and I would definatly not let him eat that. Espically when you are on the road!
Mommy2Many

#8 punkin513

punkin513

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

No It's not. Here is the ingredients of the grilled breast
Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn
gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins
, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80,
xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.
CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT.

First of all here is the website to back up what I'm about to say http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf
Next I'm going to copy and paste from that website the ingred. from the grilled chicken.
Grilled Chicken Fillet:
Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor,
sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.
Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin,
mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).
CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN.

Where do you get off posting incorrect information. I hate posts like your because I read it and I think we all stick together no one wants to get glutened no one would wish there symptoms on anyone so what's written here can be trusted infromation. I also work at McDonald's and infact I had a grilled chicken last night while at work and I feel great right now! I think it's great because if you ask for an extra piece of lettuce you can use the lettuce as the bun and pick it up and eat it like that. Also the grilled chicken is made on a grill that is only shared with the folded egg in the morning and the egg is gluten free as well. Folded Egg:
Pasteurized whole eggs, food starch-modified, soybean oil, natural flavors (botanical source), sodium acid pyrophosphate, carrageenan, flavor enhancer [salt,
maltodextrin, natural flavor (plant source), spices, herb, turmeric (color)], monosodium phosphate, citric acid, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid
Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides,
sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).
CONTAINS: EGG AND SOY LECITHIN.

So eat the grilled chicken it's yummy and GLUTEN FREE!

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Where do you get off posting incorrect information.

Whoa!

The post you are refering to was made in October of 2009. It was probably correct at the time. We are now in July of 2012. Formulas change all the time.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

First of all here is the website to back up what I'm about to say http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf
Next I'm going to copy and paste from that website the ingred. from the grilled chicken.
Grilled Chicken Fillet:
Chicken breast fillet with rib meat, water, seasoning (rice starch, salt, sugar, yeast extract, canola oil, onion powder, maltodextrin, chicken skin, paprika, flavor,
sunflower oil, chicken, garlic powder, chicken fat, spices), sodium phosphates.
Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin,
mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).
CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN.

Where do you get off posting incorrect information. I hate posts like your because I read it and I think we all stick together no one wants to get glutened no one would wish there symptoms on anyone so what's written here can be trusted infromation. I also work at McDonald's and infact I had a grilled chicken last night while at work and I feel great right now! I think it's great because if you ask for an extra piece of lettuce you can use the lettuce as the bun and pick it up and eat it like that. Also the grilled chicken is made on a grill that is only shared with the folded egg in the morning and the egg is gluten free as well. Folded Egg:
Pasteurized whole eggs, food starch-modified, soybean oil, natural flavors (botanical source), sodium acid pyrophosphate, carrageenan, flavor enhancer [salt,
maltodextrin, natural flavor (plant source), spices, herb, turmeric (color)], monosodium phosphate, citric acid, soy lecithin (release agent). Prepared with Liquid
Margarine: Liquid soybean oil and hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides,
sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).
CONTAINS: EGG AND SOY LECITHIN.

So eat the grilled chicken it's yummy and GLUTEN FREE!

Please watch the dates on product info as ingredients change over the years.

Would have been easier and politer to have said that that info is out of date and here are the current ingredients..

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 pain*in*my*gut

pain*in*my*gut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Does anyone know if the grilled chicken patties offered at McDonald's is gluten-free? I'm planning a long road trip home soon and was wondering if a quick McD's stop could be possible? Thank you!

I have eaten their grilled chicken several times in the last few weeks and I was fine. I always get sick if I get even tiny amounts of gluten, so I feel it's pretty safe (at least the one I go to). I imagine there are CC issues at different locations, but the current ingredients list says they are safe.
Celiac DX 9/2011 ~ Gluten free ever since
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 10/2011
Premature Ovarian Failure 11/2010
Rheumatoid Arthritis 10/2011
Sjogren's Disease 10/2011

"The best way out is always through" ~Robert Frost

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

The formulation definitely changed between the two posts.

richard

#13 NickMcKinnis

NickMcKinnis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm 26 and work at a gas station, so quick and affordable meals are a commodity in my book. I eat at mcdonald's sometimes as often as twice a week, and have had much better luck avoiding gluten (and getting something I enjoy) there than any other fast food place. Wendy's is cool and all, but the last time I checked their fries were not safe. Also Mcdonald's at least in my area gives much better service.

You might have to be annoying, and if they are really busy I wouldn't risk it but they are usually very accomodating.

just my 2 cents.

#14 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

I ate at a McD's on a road trip to NYC last year and ended up quite ill. My guess was cc, but it's a risk I took. I learned my lesson, never again! I heavily pack snacks while on road trips now lol that's a scenario I'm not willing to replay! I know some others have had better luck than I, but that's my story. :)
~**caselynn**~

#15 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

Definitely make sure you look at the dates on the posts before you come onto the site and reprimand someone for posting something that was accurate at that time. My goodness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: