This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Did You Find Out About Other Allergies?

kera87

kera87 Newbie

Hi guys, so I've been gluten free for almost 3 years and basically I still get D once in a while along with gas/bloating. I know that non-celiac people get this too but I feel like I shouldn't be getting it once every one or two weeks anymore (or should i?). My doctor is amazing, always trying to figure out what's wrong, testing me for lots of things, I've been treated for bacterial overgrowth but I hate taking antibiotics! I've tried peppermint oil capsules but they don't help me... when should I start to test for other allergies?

I know it can't be dairy/lactose because I eat cereal every morning and I'm fine. I was thinking I would maybe get tested for a soy or egg allergy? Can a test determine that or do I need to just keep a food journal and find out that way? I'm so clueless and I know a lot of people here have other food allergies as well so I'd love to hear your advice/stories about how you figured it out. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

miles2go Contributor
Hi guys, so I've been gluten free for almost 3 years and basically I still get D once in a while along with gas/bloating. I know that non-celiac people get this too but I feel like I shouldn't be getting it once every one or two weeks anymore (or should i?). My doctor is amazing, always trying to figure out what's wrong, testing me for lots of things, I've been treated for bacterial overgrowth but I hate taking antibiotics! I've tried peppermint oil capsules but they don't help me... when should I start to test for other allergies?

I know it can't be dairy/lactose because I eat cereal every morning and I'm fine. I was thinking I would maybe get tested for a soy or egg allergy? Can a test determine that or do I need to just keep a food journal and find out that way? I'm so clueless and I know a lot of people here have other food allergies as well so I'd love to hear your advice/stories about how you figured it out. Thanks!!

Well hi, I have had hay fever since I was a teenager and didn't figure out the gluten thing until my late 40's. My dad always had hay fever. I used OTC stuff until it got really bad in a particular work environment, so I begged my PCP to let me see an allergist, where they did the skin tests and that is what led to the whole gluten issue. I tried wheat-free for about half a year and while that helped some, I eventually went gluten free. Now the skin tests are notorious for being inaccurate, but why I think it's not a bad idea to go see an allergist is because they can tell you the degree of your atopy and decide on treatment based on that.

Now that I am getting shots regularly and staying gluten free, I can generally eat most of the foods that were off limits before, as long as I'm not getting bombarded by environmental allergens, or something. Food allergies tend to indicate a high level of atopy, so I think you might benefit from a visit.

That said, of course keep a journal, too. If it's happening regularly you should be able to find it pretty easily. There's lists of most/least allergenic foods out there if you think that might be a place to start.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hi. When I was first diagnosed I saw a nutritionist and had some allergy testing done through bloodwork. I actually came back as not allergic to anything, including gluten, though slightly raised for yeast. Later I had some enterolab testing done and I showed a probable slight allergy to soy, but none to casein. Enterolab tests your stool, whereas the nutritionist tested my blood.

I say this because I 100% cannot eat dairy. I get constipated. Now this may or may not be an "allergy", but it certainly is an intolerance. I think keeping track is one of the best ways to figure out what is bothering you. The difficulties of course with figuring it out w/o a diet diary is that some things take time to manifest; some things need more than one dosing to manifest, etc.

Most common allergies for celiac sufferers (and everyone for that matter): dairy, soy, nightshades, corn, dairy - the big ones. One thing to know is that the place in your digestive tract that helps digest milk is the small intestine, so until yours heals, you might not do that well with dairy.

It's tough. there is some food I eat now and agiain that causes itching, and it's hard to pin down. I think it might be millet (I like Millet Bread) - but it's taken me two years to figure it out (I almost always eat it with eggs, and thought it might be eggs)....anyway.....good luck to you!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I had bloodwork done about a year and a half before going gluten-free, and it showed up an allergy to egg whites. This didn't surprise me too much since eggs have made me feel yucky my whole life, and I just naturally stayed away from them. Nothing else showed up, not even environmental allergies, which did surprise me, since there are some very definite things that I react to.

I cannot eat soy, which I suspect is an intolerance as opposed to an allergy. It took me awhile to figure it out, close to a year after being gluten-free. It was just a process of elimination though. I started with the obvious culprits first- soy and dairy. I also have figured out that I can eat organic, non colored dairy. Go figure :huh: It just usually comes down to trial and error.

RollingAlong Explorer

when you say that eggs made you "feel yucky" are you referring to GI type stuff or something else?

There's a separate egg thread right now and everyone seems to mention GI type symptoms. But my spouse recently challenged eggs several times and he reports a negative reaction involving mood. A negative mood sort of washes over him for most of the day. He feels anxious, prone to despair and very unmotivated. He can feel it coming on and then lifting later. Something to do with choline? He also reacts similarly to gluten, but that also has GI signs and symptoms.

Archived