Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Swollen, Throbbing, Aching Finger A Symptom?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 ratty89

ratty89

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

Hey, kind of new around here but love the discussion and stories everyone tells.

I thought Id chime in with something that was different that happened to me and was wondering if it had happened to anyone else and what they thought the cause was.

I have been gluten free and dairy free for about two months which has been going great. Tummys feeling pretty happy and the ecezma I had on my hands etc has almost gone.

I was jst making myself some luch and preping some Gluten-free Casein-free bread for the breadmaker. I came back and sat down at my desk after eating and noticed my middle finger (which is the only left to be slightly eczema-y) was swollen, throbbing and painful. My figer joint was aching and now my whole hand kind of is. This hasnt really happened to me before, although this particular finger has been a bit swollen for ages which I put down to the eczema.

I was wondering if perhaps this was a sign of glutening?

The pasta I ate, I have often. Its a reputable brand, and I prepared it the same was as usual with sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar.

The bread recipe I was making is a bit different to my normal one. I used tapioca flour which I never have before, but I thought this would not make much different as its pretty much same diff as arrowroot which I use alot. Otherwise the rest of the flours (buckwheat and millet) and other ingredients (yeast, olive oil, honey, egg, salt) are all standard and I have never noticed this problem before.

Thoughts??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

I've read that nightshades can cause small joint inflamation. Are you eating a lot of potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant or paprika since you started eating gluten-free? You might be sensitive to those.

#3 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

Hey, kind of new around here but love the discussion and stories everyone tells.

I thought Id chime in with something that was different that happened to me and was wondering if it had happened to anyone else and what they thought the cause was.

I have been gluten free and dairy free for about two months which has been going great. Tummys feeling pretty happy and the ecezma I had on my hands etc has almost gone.

I was jst making myself some luch and preping some Gluten-free Casein-free bread for the breadmaker. I came back and sat down at my desk after eating and noticed my middle finger (which is the only left to be slightly eczema-y) was swollen, throbbing and painful. My figer joint was aching and now my whole hand kind of is. This hasnt really happened to me before, although this particular finger has been a bit swollen for ages which I put down to the eczema.

I was wondering if perhaps this was a sign of glutening?

The pasta I ate, I have often. Its a reputable brand, and I prepared it the same was as usual with sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar.

The bread recipe I was making is a bit different to my normal one. I used tapioca flour which I never have before, but I thought this would not make much different as its pretty much same diff as arrowroot which I use alot. Otherwise the rest of the flours (buckwheat and millet) and other ingredients (yeast, olive oil, honey, egg, salt) are all standard and I have never noticed this problem before.

Thoughts??

I hate to say this but you may want to be screened for Rheumatoid arthritis, which is one of the most common associated problems with Celiac. You may be triggering for that. Swollen, achy joints are the number one symptom of the disease and it can start with just one joint and progress. I hope not but you should keep that in mind if the problem does not go away or recurs.

#4 ratty89

ratty89

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the thoughts guys,

I do have quite a bit of tomato I suppose, but I try to stay away from potato and arent really into any other nightshades.

I might check out this arthritis though.... since this same hand gets very achy if I write with it too long...how do they diagnose it?

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

They start with a blood test to see if you are RA sero positive or negative, but just because you're negative doesn't mean there isn't something arthritic going on. I am RA negative but have psoriatic arthritis which is psoriasis in conjunction with the arthritis, but a different form of RA. I was first diagnosed with polymylalgia rheumatica, then RA and then psoriatic arthritis as my symptoms progressed. It is basically diagnosed on joint involvement, presence or absence of swelling, stiffness, how long it takes to get moving in the a.m. when you first get up. My hands would be like claws, couldn't move them, but they would gradually "thaw" out and start moving again. We will hope what you have will resolve after a while on the gluten free diet, as happens with many posters :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009