Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Skinless Gyoza(potstickers)

10 posts in this topic

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/skinless-gy...-dipping-sauce/

Here's the newly tweeked version of a gyoza recipe that I used to make before gluten-free and low-carb.

All veggies should be somewhere between finely chopped and minced so they will cook through and mix well with the pork so that the gyoza hold together.

1c. nappa cabbage(hakusai)

1 stalk green onion and/or garlic chives

2-3 shitake mushrooms, fresh or dried and re-constituted

1 small clove garlic

1/2 inch piece of ginger

1 tsp. soy sauce

2 tsp. sake or dry, very light white wine

1 tsp. roasted sesame oil

1/4 tsp. salt(I may omit it all together next time as the soy sauce and miso is salty)

1 tsp. white miso(make sure to research your miso and get one that has the starter culture grown on rice. This is called kome-koji. Some starter cultures are grown on barley.

Mix together well. Shape into 10-12 pieces and fry as directed above in the video. Serve each one wrapped in a bit of lettuce. I think it needs no dipping sauce but they are often served with 50%white vinegar(or 1/3 part), 50% soy sauce(or 2/3 part) and just a bit of hot(chili) sesame oil(rayu) mixed to taste.

For the whole recipe:

12.5g carb, 1.3 g. fiber, 2.0 g sugars 42.6 g pro.,

according to the nutritional calculator that I used.

Ads by Google:

Im really going to have to try this one of these days!

Been so hooked on the Indian foods but it is good to get home

and mix things up

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/skinless-gy...-dipping-sauce/

Here's the newly tweeked version of a gyoza recipe that I used to make before gluten-free and low-carb.

All veggies should be somewhere between finely chopped and minced so they will cook through and mix well with the pork so that the gyoza hold together.

1c. nappa cabbage(hakusai)

1 stalk green onion and/or garlic chives

2-3 shitake mushrooms, fresh or dried and re-constituted

1 small clove garlic

1/2 inch piece of ginger

1 tsp. soy sauce

2 tsp. sake or dry, very light white wine

1 tsp. roasted sesame oil

1/4 tsp. salt(I may omit it all together next time as the soy sauce and miso is salty)

1 tsp. white miso(make sure to research your miso and get one that has the starter culture grown on rice. This is called kome-koji. Some starter cultures are grown on barley.

Mix together well. Shape into 10-12 pieces and fry as directed above in the video. Serve each one wrapped in a bit of lettuce. I think it needs no dipping sauce but they are often served with 50%white vinegar(or 1/3 part), 50% soy sauce(or 2/3 part) and just a bit of hot(chili) sesame oil(rayu) mixed to taste.

For the whole recipe:

12.5g carb, 1.3 g. fiber, 2.0 g sugars 42.6 g pro.,

according to the nutritional calculator that I used.

Hope you like it Ken! It originally was a Japanese recipe from one of those ladies magazines. I backed off quite a bit on the seasoning that was called for in the original recipe because not having the skin changes the balance, plus no steaming to draw out the salt and I eat so many simple foods that things taste very salty to me these days. Watch them carefully and watch the heat too as they get dark easily. 1/2 a recipe is good for a complete 6 carb snack/meal for me.

Making these this weekend. Love the video with the kids in the background!

Now I just need time to get back in the kitchen -- Need to bang out a bunch of sauces, jams and jellies for the holidaze too.

this does look really good though.

BTW do you know awa, Kibi and hie -- the millets. There are a few others in INdia I sent home.+

can hardly with to try them.

Hope you like it Ken! It originally was a Japanese recipe from one of those ladies magazines. I backed off quite a bit on the seasoning that was called for in the original recipe because not having the skin changes the balance, plus no steaming to draw out the salt and I eat so many simple foods that things taste very salty to me these days. Watch them carefully and watch the heat too as they get dark easily. 1/2 a recipe is good for a complete 6 carb snack/meal for me.

This looks great! I'll be trying this soon.

Pot stickers were one of my favorites before being diagnosed. I never thought of just doing them without the skin. :blink:

Ken, I ended upon this grain-free, low-carb diet before I had the chance to try the millets. I imagine, I would have liked them. I had just purchased some buckwheat groats and started to experiment with them when I got my DX. I have been giving away some grains that I had purchased and others are in the freezer and I'm trying to sneak them into kiddo's food to use them up! My DH doesn't like whole grains, he's a white rice guy all the way. I do have a bottle of millet "soy" sauce that we brought back from Japan last time. Haven't opened it yet. We're still making our way through a few other sauces first.

I had another thought about the salt in this recipe too. I omitted the sugar and that upsets the balance of salt as well. Just my mental notes to myself as I adjust some of these recipes.

BG's been running nice and low lately so I am going to try kabocha and see if I can add that to my diet.

I have a millet shoyu here too but started using the sorghum one first --

After going to a natruopathic ( SP?) doctor before I left and getting these supplements from her I am 100000% better.

blood sugar is under control -- no DH -- no pains -- no heart truoble although still somewhat irregular beat.

Yesterday I worked in the field and was tired from work and not from sick for the first time in ages.

So what I get from that is as a celiac and diabetic ( something i know you relate too) we need much more supplements and vitamins and micronutrients -- I started thinking of my body as the same way i would my rare fruit trees.

What an amzing difference when I take this stuff -- Like fertilizer for my plants -- the balance is important but too much isnt gonna kill me while too little or nothing might.

Anyway -- recipe is taped on the fridge and on top of the list...

take care

Ken, I ended upon this grain-free, low-carb diet before I had the chance to try the millets. I imagine, I would have liked them. I had just purchased some buckwheat groats and started to experiment with them when I got my DX. I have been giving away some grains that I had purchased and others are in the freezer and I'm trying to sneak them into kiddo's food to use them up! My DH doesn't like whole grains, he's a white rice guy all the way. I do have a bottle of millet "soy" sauce that we brought back from Japan last time. Haven't opened it yet. We're still making our way through a few other sauces first.

I had another thought about the salt in this recipe too. I omitted the sugar and that upsets the balance of salt as well. Just my mental notes to myself as I adjust some of these recipes.

BG's been running nice and low lately so I am going to try kabocha and see if I can add that to my diet.

I have a millet shoyu here too but started using the sorghum one first --

After going to a natruopathic ( SP?) doctor before I left and getting these supplements from her I am 100000% better.

blood sugar is under control -- no DH -- no pains -- no heart truoble although still somewhat irregular beat.

Yesterday I worked in the field and was tired from work and not from sick for the first time in ages.

So what I get from that is as a celiac and diabetic ( something i know you relate too) we need much more supplements and vitamins and micronutrients -- I started thinking of my body as the same way i would my rare fruit trees.

What an amzing difference when I take this stuff -- Like fertilizer for my plants -- the balance is important but too much isnt gonna kill me while too little or nothing might.

Anyway -- recipe is taped on the fridge and on top of the list...

take care

I love the video! How cute!! Thanks for sharing this, I am definitely going to try them!