5 replies to this topic

#1 K Dog

K Dog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

Well I met with the Gastro on Thursday. Very informative, but also very worried. I need to eat Glutten for 3 days so when he scopes he can see what is going on in my Intestines.

Then he informs me of the much more serious form of Celiacs, not sure of the name but it devours your Intestines and has no cure. Nice thing to tell me before the test will be done. Then it takes a week for the results to come back.....ugh

My First series of blood work came back negative , which he stated is sometimes normal.

Not haveing a good week...

Kdog

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KristaleeJane

KristaleeJane

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

First of all, eating gluten for 3 days will not cause your tests to come back positive, unfortunately. Depending on how long you have been gluten free will also be a factor in the damage to your villi when the biopsy is done. Your blood work was negative because you are on a gluten free diet. You have to be consuming gluten for at least 3-6 weeks or longer for your blood work and your biopsy to have any accurate results. I would recommend continuing your gluten free diet, and having a genetic test done instead, where it is less invasive and you do not have to be consuming gluten for the results to come back accurate. If you are having good results on the gluten free diet then that to me is a positive result, but the only way to know for sure is to eat gluten for 3-6 weeks, or have the genetics test done.
Good Luck..
Gluten Free since Apr 14-08
Mar 08.....Blood work-Positive for Celiac Results were High (92)
Apr 08....Biopsy Results indicating abnormalities associated with celiac disease & Villi atrophy.
May-08.... Appendicitis
July 08.....X-ray indicates Degenerative Disc Disease
Symptoms that the gluten free diet has helped: All Stomach Problems, Bloating, Vomiting, Heartburn & D, Energy, overall feeling of health again, Migraine, Degenerative disc Disease, and Infertility.

#3 K Dog

K Dog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

First of all, eating gluten for 3 days will not cause your tests to come back positive, unfortunately. Depending on how long you have been gluten free will also be a factor in the damage to your villi when the biopsy is done. Your blood work was negative because you are on a gluten free diet. You have to be consuming gluten for at least 3-6 weeks or longer for your blood work and your biopsy to have any accurate results. I would recommend continuing your gluten free diet, and having a genetic test done instead, where it is less invasive and you do not have to be consuming gluten for the results to come back accurate. If you are having good results on the gluten free diet then that to me is a positive result, but the only way to know for sure is to eat gluten for 3-6 weeks, or have the genetics test done.
Good Luck..

My initial blood work was done 2 weeks after I started my Gluten free diet. My results have been great after going gluten free. I went to see the Gastro and he said the only way to tell 99% is by an upper G.I. and some scrapings of the walls. I am not happy about eating gluten again, however I do want to find out what it is exactly...

Worried in Wisconsin

#4 K Dog

K Dog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

My initial blood work was done 2 weeks after I started my Gluten free diet. My results have been great after going gluten free. I went to see the Gastro and he said the only way to tell 99% is by an upper G.I. and some scrapings of the walls. I am not happy about eating gluten again, however I do want to find out what it is exactly...

Worried in Wisconsin

and then their is the worry of RCD

#5 KristaleeJane

KristaleeJane

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

I am sorry, not familiar with the term RCD?
Gluten Free since Apr 14-08
Mar 08.....Blood work-Positive for Celiac Results were High (92)
Apr 08....Biopsy Results indicating abnormalities associated with celiac disease & Villi atrophy.
May-08.... Appendicitis
July 08.....X-ray indicates Degenerative Disc Disease
Symptoms that the gluten free diet has helped: All Stomach Problems, Bloating, Vomiting, Heartburn & D, Energy, overall feeling of health again, Migraine, Degenerative disc Disease, and Infertility.

#6 LoraW76

LoraW76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

I'm having my first endoscopy this Friday. Blood tests were postive for celiac. I've been gluten-free for nearly 3 weeks. I wasn't told by my Dr. to eat gluten first... I accidentally ate gluten at Thanksgiving and believe me, I paid for it later.

Needless to say, I am worried about the biospy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: