36 replies to this topic

#1 soulcurrent

soulcurrent

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

I've never had issues with sleep in the past (unless I was particularly stressed about something, then I might lay awake for an hour) but since going gluten free a couple of weeks ago I've been having trouble every single night. I'm having trouble getting to sleep then staying that way (but part of that is my cats who prefer my bedroom for their mischief at night) and I am feeling less rested as a result. Not that I normally feel rested after a night's sleep, even if I get a full night. I attributed that to full time work and school but I hear that celiac can be to blame also.

So what's with with insomnia now that I don't have gluten? Actually I can't say I don't have it.. I *think* I don't have it but I'm just learning that I should get a new toaster and things like that to avoid cross contamination so there could be traces but I'm making a valiant effort.

*yawn*
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator.
-------------------------
Diagnosed 9/28/09; Gluten free diet started 10/4/09.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

Many people experience low blood sugar in the night which messes with their "sleeping clock". You may need a high protein snack before bed. Have you been extra hungry? If so, you will need some hunger killing food to sleep through the night.

#3 homemaker

homemaker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

Many people experience low blood sugar in the night which messes with their "sleeping clock". You may need a high protein snack before bed. Have you been extra hungry? If so, you will need some hunger killing food to sleep through the night.

Wow, I have not heard of this...I too seem to wake up around 3pm feeling that sort of weak in the knees blood sugar thing...
How strange, I wonder why that is?
Constipation, Gas, Bloating, Abdominal Pain, Ataxia, Brain Fog, Joint Pain Headaches
Bloodwork Negative
Went gluten free 10/02/09
Immediate and Positive intestinal improvement with improvement in headache frequency
Enterolab results 11/23/09 (after one month gluten free)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 units
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 9 units
Fecal Fat 1267 units
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1: 0201
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2: 0202
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,2 (Subtype 2,2)

#4 soulcurrent

soulcurrent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

I've noticed some extra hunger but nothing that's kept me up at night. I usually eat several small meals throughout the day at the advice of the nutritionist. I'll try adding something closer to bedtime.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator.
-------------------------
Diagnosed 9/28/09; Gluten free diet started 10/4/09.

#5 tmbarke

tmbarke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:27 AM

My sleep pattern goes thru spurts.
Meaning I can go to bed, sleep about 4 hrs and then I'm up.......the longer I'm up, the more apt I am to have coffee.
If I try to go back to sleep, I just lay there with my eyes closed and mind wide awake.
I've never had the coffee issue before going gluten-free - I could go to sleep after a POT of coffee!
Now it's all different.
I am not always tired when I know I have to get sleep.....so I usually end up having a drink (mixed or wine) before bed to 'relax' me....and I've never been a lightweight on that either.
But it does the trick.
There's times that my sleep is good and then times that it is restless or limited......due to dreams or nightmares or noises.
I do notice that the sleep patterns have definitely changed.....along with my senses.
I'm guessing my hightened senses has something to do with the sleep issues.
The only time I really get tired is at work after I've eaten a lunch that was bigger than I'm used to.
Maybe there is some truth to what was said about eating and sleep.
But I'm not one to eat before bed.
It just doesn't seem normal..........but then again, I'm learning to be abnormal compared to the gluten life.
Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!

#6 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

I've never had issues with sleep in the past (unless I was particularly stressed about something, then I might lay awake for an hour) but since going gluten free a couple of weeks ago I've been having trouble every single night. I'm having trouble getting to sleep then staying that way (but part of that is my cats who prefer my bedroom for their mischief at night) and I am feeling less rested as a result. Not that I normally feel rested after a night's sleep, even if I get a full night. I attributed that to full time work and school but I hear that celiac can be to blame also.

So what's with with insomnia now that I don't have gluten? Actually I can't say I don't have it.. I *think* I don't have it but I'm just learning that I should get a new toaster and things like that to avoid cross contamination so there could be traces but I'm making a valiant effort.

*yawn*

I will get insomnia with diet changes. Because I like to travel there are times when my dietary habits change pretty drastically.

Before going on a Gluten-Free diet I had read that eating a whole grain snack, and something high in calcium helps with sleep.

With my last dietary change, traveling to Texas, I used rice crackers and Tums with good success as a nighttime snack before sleep.

Because my trip to Texas was to visit with people I had been talking to for years on the internet, I did quite a bit of eating out in restaurants, plus their home cooked meals. Talk about a change in diet! None of the people I visited had Celiac Disease (around 10 destinations), but they knew to try and keep Gluten out of the meals.

#7 Desiree49

Desiree49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

I have had the same thing happen to me. I recently went gluten free and it takes me forever to fall asleep.

#8 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

I didn't experience exactly insomnia, but after going gluten-free and every time after major glutening I got into a kind of 'hyperactive mode'. It felt as if somebody slipped a few extasy pills into my meal. I wouldn't be able to fall asleep before 1-2am and even like that I would wake up at 5am, I wouldn't feel a tiny bit tired working all day non-stop until late at night... (almost feels worth getting glutened :ph34r: ). It always lasted a few days/a week, then after a few lazy days I would be 'normal' again.

#9 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'm going through the exact same thing. I could have written your title.

#10 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:06 AM

I'm glad that you posted this. I am one week gluten free today and every night I turn this way, then turn that way, get up, drink some milk, lay back down, get up again.

I've never been like this my whole life. I sleep fine once I fall asleep, but it takes a long time to feel asleep.

Then, when Im trying to fall asleep, here come the jimmy legs. I get the jimmy legs awful. Have to start turning my ankles and stretching my legs. I don't know if that's what you all call it, the jimmy legs. Do you know what I mean?
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#11 marie1107

marie1107

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

Same here! For years I have had either a toasts or cereal before bed. I thought it was the carbs that were making me sleepy (I was eating pretty much low carb all day). But no! I realised when I went gluten-free that it was actually the bad stuuf that was knocking me out. I have noticed how sleepy I get when I come in contact with the tiniest amount of gluten.
Since going gluten-free (2 years ago) I have tried about every trick and remedy. I good snack seems to help, I also found some natural herbal mix that is quite effective and sometimes some yoga helps. But every night I have to keep the same relaxing routine and I make sure I only go to bed when I'm quite sleepy.
I am now realising I was "using" gluten as a sleeping peel and was quite addicted...
It's frustrating at first but my now sleep (and without a doubt my health) is constantly getting better. :)
Hope you also find tricks that work for you. ;)
The wonderful freedom of the gluten-free life...:)
>>(It's not always that easy but there is nothing like really having my life back:))

Diagnosed 02/2008.
Symptoms started when I was 9-10 years old. More or less the typical ones, did everything I could to keep going until 2007 when I could not function at all anymore (all typical symptoms + severe bladder, liver and anxiety problems).
I finally found a good GI doctor and got my life back and I'm now doing better everyday!
Also dairy-free, soy-free, yeast-free, sugar-free and mostly grain-free.

#12 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

After I get glutened I suffer from insane insomnia. I have to literally force myself to sit still or even go to sleep. It's like I'm a little kid again who's had way to much sugar or something :P I tried tylonal PM but even it doesn't help much. I'm only getting a couple hours of sleep at a time falling asleep at 4 or 5 am and waking up at 9am :P

#13 SuperMolly

SuperMolly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

After I get glutened I suffer from insane insomnia. I have to literally force myself to sit still or even go to sleep. It's like I'm a little kid again who's had way to much sugar or something :P

I agree with this. I am a night person anyway, but when I get glutened I will be tired but I cannot settle down. I'll get a lot of stuff done though. ;)
I've suffered from intestinal problems since childhood.
Age 30--I was told I had IBS and that I'd just have to "get used to it".
Age 33--I went wheat-free and felt a little better.
Age 36--A friend was diagnosed with celiac disease and recommended that I get tested too. I demanded a test even though the doctor assured me I did "not want it". Test was positive and I have been gluten free ever since.
Age 37 and Counting--I never would have guessed my body could feel this great! :)

#14 George Knighton

George Knighton

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Doesn't wheat and dairy products generally make you or help you sleep better and easier before going to bed?

#15 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

Wow, looks like we all have the same kind of problem. Just under two weeks gluten free, and suddenly awake around 2 or 3am, can't lie on one side for more than a few moments.

Strange thing though, I'm not as tired as what I would have been if still eating gluten products and only had four hours sleep. So, besides that the tossing and turning wakes my husband, its not been too bad!

Would love a solution though. One other than sleeping tablets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: