35 replies to this topic

#16 superfob

superfob

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

if you are not already doing so, you should try taking sublingual methylcobalamin (b12) everyday, make sure that all of it dissolves in your mouth (under your tongue), instead of chewing it up

i found that it definately had some positive effects on my sleep

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

if you are not already doing so, you should try taking sublingual methylcobalamin (b12) everyday, make sure that all of it dissolves in your mouth (under your tongue), instead of chewing it up

i found that it definately had some positive effects on my sleep

How long did the B12 take to work for you? I started taking it about five weeks ago an feel no different yet. My insomnia is severe (due to an extremely painful back injury) and is only helped by prescription drugs. Wonder if B12 would help in my case??!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#18 AgainstTheGrainIdaho

AgainstTheGrainIdaho

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

THE BEST thing I could have gotten because of this same problem was Bach's Sleep Remedy Spray and Peter Gilhams Calcium/Magnesium Natural Calm. Those 2 things by night 1 knocked me out!Slept 8+ hours and wasn't graggy at all the next day. I found that I wasn't absorbing minerals well which in turn messed up A LOT of things in my body and being deficient in Cal/Mag which can be a HUGE part of relaxing my nerves and my stress which kept me up "thinking" and my brain staying awake all night it seemed.(Bach's helped with that too) Hopefully you find something that will help you. I got both of those from a Natural food/Supplement store.Good luck!

*Magnesium alone is responsible for helping in over 200 functions in the body, so if your body is lacking, it causes all sorts of chaos. Calcium is up there too!

#19 No.Wheat.For.Me

No.Wheat.For.Me

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Wow, looks like we all have the same kind of problem. Just under two weeks gluten free, and suddenly awake around 2 or 3am, can't lie on one side for more than a few moments.

Strange thing though, I'm not as tired as what I would have been if still eating gluten products and only had four hours sleep. So, besides that the tossing and turning wakes my husband, its not been too bad!

Would love a solution though. One other than sleeping tablets.

After I went gluten and milk free, I found I didn't need as much sleep as I did before. I think it's great!!!!

#20 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

My 10.5 year old had been complaining he can't fall asleep for the past few nights and that he is tired after school. He is currently doing a trial of gluten free and has been completely gluten free since Monday. Not sure if it is related or not...hmm

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#21 Kansas

Kansas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Might try elininating dairy. I always thought that dairy would be gut issues, but am finding out differently. I stopped dairy a couple weeks ago, thinking it might help another symptom, (cracking, rough skin on fingers) Have found that my sleep has greatly improved. It helped by going gluten free, but it is so much better without dairy.

#22 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

I have chronic sleep-maintenance insomnia and I've been gluten-free for a little over a month now. After the first week I did notice that my insomnia (which is "normal" for me) suddenly got worse, which I think must have been related to going gluten-free. I had other gluten withdrawal symptoms as well like vertigo/ataxia and abdominal pains, which were different than the normal IBS abdominal cramps I usually get. Most of that disappeared in about a week though.

#23 KaraBoga

KaraBoga

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

Wow, looks like we all have the same kind of problem. Just under two weeks gluten free, and suddenly awake around 2 or 3am, can't lie on one side for more than a few moments.

Strange thing though, I'm not as tired as what I would have been if still eating gluten products and only had four hours sleep. So, besides that the tossing and turning wakes my husband, its not been too bad!

Would love a solution though. One other than sleeping tablets.

Yeah since I went gluten free I wake up very early in the morning, 3-4AM and cannot go back to sleep. Snacking before bed seems to help a little, but I am not able to sleep longer than 5-6 hours at the most and a lot of times it is less than that. I ordered B12 sub-lingual supplements, will give them a try, but I am wondering how you all have been coping with this.

#24 azlynn23

azlynn23

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

Yeah since I went gluten free I wake up very early in the morning, 3-4AM and cannot go back to sleep. Snacking before bed seems to help a little, but I am not able to sleep longer than 5-6 hours at the most and a lot of times it is less than that. I ordered B12 sub-lingual supplements, will give them a try, but I am wondering how you all have been coping with this.

I have exactly the same issue, lately I've been waking up two to three times in a night where as before it was only about 5 hours in. I'm not as tired as I would have been but I hate laying in bed the last two hours of the night unable to fall back asleep. Eating also helps me a bit. And I know I shouldn't but I generally wake up and have a cigerette, sometimes I feel really shaky and need to vomit but that's usually only the first few days.

BTW My name is also Kara :P

#25 KaraBoga

KaraBoga

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

I have exactly the same issue, lately I've been waking up two to three times in a night where as before it was only about 5 hours in. I'm not as tired as I would have been but I hate laying in bed the last two hours of the night unable to fall back asleep. Eating also helps me a bit. And I know I shouldn't but I generally wake up and have a cigerette, sometimes I feel really shaky and need to vomit but that's usually only the first few days.

BTW My name is also Kara :P

Thank you Kara :) So how long have you been gluten free? What do you mean by first few days wrt feeling shaky? I guess when you first went gluten free? I have been gluten free just about couple of months and my sleep has not improved much since it started.

BTW my username is derived from two words, Kara and Boga, in English it would be Black Bull :) I am a new member, have been lurking for a while. When I discovered other gluten free folks are having similar sleep problems I was relieved in some way and decided to write and try to get more info.

#26 Booghead

Booghead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

I didn't sleep well after going gluten free either. I've been gluten free for 3 weeks almost. For the last 2 of those I have had a bugger of a cold so I've been taking Nyquil pretty much every night. I'm begininng to think I might be abusing it for sleeping because I couldn't sleep after going gluten free. The last 3 days that I have taken Nyquil it has been because the cold is at its peak and I can't breathe if I don't take it. Last night I took 2 like usual and I didn't sleep at all. Then I crashed at 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. and felt sicker then before. B) I hate colds.

#27 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

I didn't sleep well after going gluten free either. I've been gluten free for 3 weeks almost. For the last 2 of those I have had a bugger of a cold so I've been taking Nyquil pretty much every night. I'm begininng to think I might be abusing it for sleeping because I couldn't sleep after going gluten free. The last 3 days that I have taken Nyquil it has been because the cold is at its peak and I can't breathe if I don't take it. Last night I took 2 like usual and I didn't sleep at all. Then I crashed at 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. and felt sicker then before. B) I hate colds.

Two words.

Neti Pot.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#28 KaraBoga

KaraBoga

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

One more thing, my blood pressure is lower than what it used to be. My normal blood pressure was around 120/80 to 130/85, now it is about 105/70 :huh:

#29 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

I hope this helps some of you. If you are in the detox these tips may not work but this is what I have tried and it does help.

Make sure your vit levels are where they need to be. If your body is not receiving enough nutrients sleep will be difficult.

Exercise of some sort during the day but not close to bedtime.

Do not take vits before bedtime.

Drink a soothing hot tea like camamille or sleeping time.

No dairy or sugar before bed.

A good sleep aide is Meletonex which is B3 and magnesium.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#30 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Even before going gluten-free Nyquil used to hurt me. I'd break out in hives and feel like I was ready to crawl walls (forget about sleeping). That could just be me.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: