This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Olive Garden

MKat

MKat Explorer

Fogive me for posting something else so soon, but I'm finally looking into eating out gluten-free here in Ohio and saw that Olive Garden now has a gluten-free penne Pasta available. Has this been discussed before? Is it any good...and is it safe?? I've heard scary things about eating gluten-free at Olive Garden :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Well, at least Olive Garden is the first Italian style restaurant i have heard of, touting a gluten free menu, that actually realizes that it is possible to serve gluten free pasta. That is a big leap forward. Now, if they have worked out their cc issues, this could be a GOOD thing. I would certainly go talk to them about how they prepare it.

momxyz Contributor

my take on this is that restaurants in general are starting to smell the coffee, so to speak.

There's a local pizza place - not a chain - that had a very bold advertisement for gluten free pizza. This is the second pizza joint within 4 miles of my house that now offer gluten free pizza. We haven't tried either yet - we've been making our own at home - but this will certainly help around the holiays, for family gatherings where we have traditionally done take out.

About Olive Garden. I think the official Olive Garden cooking school is in Italy. From what I have read, the Europeans are way ahead of us in terms of awareness of gluten sensitivity. And that includes Italy! I think I read that in Italy, screening via blood tests is the norm for kids. I have read posts on this board, from travelers who have found that gluten free pasta is readily available in restaurants in Italy. So it makes sense - and smart marketing sense - that Olive Garden is now translating this knowledge and awareness into the US market.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast
Fogive me for posting something else so soon, but I'm finally looking into eating out gluten-free here in Ohio and saw that Olive Garden now has a gluten-free penne Pasta available. Has this been discussed before? Is it any good...and is it safe?? I've heard scary things about eating gluten-free at Olive Garden :)

Here's another choice; Open Original Shared Link

Gluten-Free Menu

Carrabba's Italian Grill, in cooperation with the Gluten Intolerance Group

nb-canada Apprentice

Hi captaincrab55

I tried the pasta at Olive Garden in Bangor Maine a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious. I did not get cc'd. The waitress was also Celiac as well as another employee so they were well informed about Celiac.

Juliebove Rising Star

I have not tried them but have had the gluten-free pasta at the Old Spaghetti Factory. It's good.

lovegrov Collaborator

Does OG talk about having gluten-free pasta anywhere on their website? I couldn't find it.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

There is one tiny mention of it here:

Open Original Shared Link

Pennine Rigate with Marinara

Marinara sauce made with a blend of tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and Italian herbs. Served over gluten free penne pasta.

Juliebove Rising Star
Does OG talk about having gluten-free pasta anywhere on their website? I couldn't find it.

richard

It is on the website but I can't remember where I found it. I do remember having trouble finding it though.

Lisa Mentor

I have seen this with my own eyes! Military Circle Olive Garden, Norfolk, Virginia

On the Gluten Free Menu:

Penne Rigate with Marinara

Marinara sauce made with a blend of tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and Italian herbs. Served over gluten free penne pasta

It was rather bla tasting to me and I grabbed the red pepper flakes, but it's a super option for those who work and have lunch meetings. Can't complain! :) Their staff still needs educating on gluten free dining.

Olive Garden has been subject to my criticism in the past, but I am pleased with this progress.

Shess0816 Apprentice

The other italian type place, too, that offers gluten free pasta is Biaggis. I have had it several times and it is AWESOME!!! The waitstaff has always been super informed there and I have never had any CC issues. Quite a few of their sauces can be put on top of the gluten free pasta, so there are several choices! The gluten free pasta is actually green, too, so you can tell for sure when they bring you your plate if they brought gluten free pasta or not!

I think Biaggi's has locations in Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Mississippi, New York, and North Carolina. If you have one close to you, it's definitely worth a try!! They just have a great gluten free menu in general!

Here's the link if you want to see the menu:

Open Original Shared Link

• 3 weeks later...
abbysmom Rookie

I have a friend that works at Olive Garden and he said that the meals are frozen, they zap them in the microwave and they have strict instructions to use fresh utensils, etc., so that no cross-contamination occurs. I have eaten it 3 times with no stomach issues, but I did have a waitress look at me like I had 2 heads when I said I needed the gluten-free menu. I remembered it being under garden fare on the website. That made more sense to her, she brought me the garden fare menu and I could point it out and show her what I meant. It isn't that tasty (especially when my husband has regular pasta with marinara and it smells amazing!), but it is nice to have another resturant option to eat at. :)

jerseyangel Proficient
I have a friend that works at Olive Garden and he said that the meals are frozen, they zap them in the microwave and they have strict instructions to use fresh utensils, etc., so that no cross-contamination occurs.

That's very good to know! Thanks for sharing that :D

celiac-mommy Collaborator
I have a friend that works at Olive Garden and he said that the meals are frozen, they zap them in the microwave and they have strict instructions to use fresh utensils, etc., so that no cross-contamination occurs. I have eaten it 3 times with no stomach issues, but I did have a waitress look at me like I had 2 heads when I said I needed the gluten-free menu. I remembered it being under garden fare on the website. That made more sense to her, she brought me the garden fare menu and I could point it out and show her what I meant. It isn't that tasty (especially when my husband has regular pasta with marinara and it smells amazing!), but it is nice to have another resturant option to eat at. :)

That's what they told me when I took my son there. It actually comes prepackaged with its own silverware so there is no risk of cc. It tasted good, better than OSF, but I have to complain that it was 12$ for 1 bowl of pasta--for a 4y/o. But on the other hand, it was nice to have the option for him :)

sixtytwo Apprentice

Had the gluten-free pasta at OG and I agree, it is a bit blah, but surely a step in the right direction. I eat the salad, asking for the croutons to be on the side and do fine. I have to admit that the pasta was a little dry so I asked for some of their regular red sauce and that was fine too. As far as CC goes at OG, this product comes prepackaged so I imainge they just microwave it and slip it on a clean plate. Biaggi's is a wonderful restaurant, and they have a huge gluten-free menu. Their gluten-free pasta is green/spinach and so nice, and much better than what OG offers at this time. NOW if only they could come up with some interesting gluten-free bread with these Italian dinners, we would really be happy, right?

Barbara

luvs2eat Collaborator

Wow, will my husband be glad to hear this! OG is one of his faves... altho he never gets pasta. He just eats bowl after bowl of the salad! The last time I was there, I had the mussels on their appetizer menu w/ no problems and it was delicious!

runningcrazy Contributor

i had it once and it was pretty good. the waitres told us her sister has it too, so she was very helpful. they also gave me croutonless salad with my own oil and balsamic vinegar...IT WAS great!!!

• 1 month later...
dmurth01 Newbie

I tried it yesterday (my first experience with gluten-free pasta) and finished the whole bowl! It was terrific...especially because I wanted to try all my family's delicious looking meals around me. But mine was really good!

Caitlin Newbie

I had the gluten-free penne from olive garden about a month ago and it was gross. The pasta was way overcooked and the sauce wasn't the best either. The only thing i was happy about with my meal was the delicious salad!

• 2 weeks later...
32801Celiac Newbie

I have just been diagnosed and am so excited that Olive Garden has made the decision to offer a gluten free menu. I can't wait to go try it. Thanks for the postings.

• 1 month later...
elefky Apprentice

Here's another choice; Open Original Shared Link

Gluten-Free Menu

Carrabba's Italian Grill, in cooperation with the Gluten Intolerance Group

• 2 weeks later...
redraider1856 Rookie

Maggianos is a GREAT place for gluten free Italian food. The waitress there was very nice and helpful. She told us that Maggianos redid their entire menu so all the sauces are gluten-free and they have a gluten-free pasta. I went with my family and we got family sized dishes with the gluten-free pasta. They were all amazed at how good it tasted.

Archived