3 replies to this topic

#1 MKat

MKat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

I've been looking online on how to TRY and keep a gluten-free kitchen when you are the only 1 of 5 not eating gluten. One question I can't find the answer to...how do you wipe your countertops off? In the past I've always used a dish rag for all counter wiping...and I have a dish towel for drying hands. I realized recently this won't work anymore. So, what do you usee to wipe down your countertops - I feel as though I'm constantly in the kitchen (3 kids) and am always wiping down counterstops. Do I use disposable wipes? Paper towels? So much for my environmental and frugal living if that's the case! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

gluten hids everywhere & it can become a problem with double dipping in jars & such. We have re-trained everyone in our house & visitors (relatives). I scrub my counters weekly with soft scrub, then I use clorox wipes, then I paper towel dry.Just to santize can't say it removes gluten! Wipes are my best friend!
The main thing is I should buy out Bounty Paper Towels! The whole factory~~~ Instead of laying food on the counter we all faithfully place our food gluten-free or not on separate paper towels to catch crumbs. discard after one use...no food is permitted on the counters & oddly enough it doesn't happen!!! No one cares to have the cook sick!
hth

mamaw

#3 Dada2hapas

Dada2hapas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

After wiping down our granite counter, I spray with a 1:1 dilution of bleach and water, and let it sit for 10 minutes to denature/oxidize any gluten my kids may have left behind. Wipe down, then spray with a sodium thiosulfate solution to neutralize the bleach, rinse and wipe down again.

Some friends think I'm nuts, but I'm able to use the counter without getting sick, in my kitchen where everyone else still eats gluten. ;)
-Dada

#4 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

I've been looking online on how to TRY and keep a gluten-free kitchen when you are the only 1 of 5 not eating gluten. One question I can't find the answer to...how do you wipe your countertops off? In the past I've always used a dish rag for all counter wiping...and I have a dish towel for drying hands. I realized recently this won't work anymore. So, what do you usee to wipe down your countertops - I feel as though I'm constantly in the kitchen (3 kids) and am always wiping down counterstops. Do I use disposable wipes? Paper towels? So much for my environmental and frugal living if that's the case! :)

Wow I could have written this myself!! I am the only 1 of 5 currently eating gluten free too! And I feel like all I do all day long is wipe the counters down! (3 kids here too!) So far I have been using a dishrag, followed by a sponge I have marked Gluten FREE, and then lysol wipes. I also change the dishrag out several times a day, and the dishtowel I dry my hands off, and I'm always warning everyone not to touch my dish towel!! LOL I'm trying to get all the gluten containing items out of the house with the exception of dh's bread for sandwiches, and some crackers. I plan to make everything else gluten free so I don't have to worry about it any more. I dont think they will complain, and I doubt they will even notice when I start using other things to cook with. I will probably still make them regular pasta just because it would be very expensive to feed all 5 of us gluten-free pasta.
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: