This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Warning Label

jenvan

turtle99 Rookie

Question re: labels

Do you any of you eat products that do not specifically say "gulten free" ?

For example many corn chips, do not have gluten-typle ingredients, would you still eat them?

Do you consider it risky to eat products that are not labelled gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Most of us eat many products that aren't specifically marked gluten-free. In fact, large numbers of products that aren't marked gluten-free are indeed gluten-free.

richard

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I eat those kind if I call the company first.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

There are some brands like Kraft who will not hide anything but they do not list gluten free on the label. They will however list wheat,rye,barley,oats right on the label if they contain any.

For other brands who do not have that policy and don't list gluten free on them the best thing is too call the company.

I eat alot of products that don't say specifically gluten free on them.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'll definitely eat things that aren't specifically labeled gluten-free, if the ingredients are gluten-free.

Guest gillian502

I will absolutely not eat any products that have a warning label on them, no way. They are basically telling you point blank the item is cross contaminated. I will eat items only if I have called the company and they tell me that particular item is not run on the same lines with a gluten containing food.

As for eating items not labeled gluten-free, we have no other choice. Few foods are marked "gluten-free" even though they may be gluten-free.

phakephur Apprentice

I would assume the absence of a warning label would indicate lack of awareness of the gluten free lifestyle, not necessarily the lack of cross contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lotusgem Rookie

Oh my! Assumptions can be very risky business. If there's one thing I've learned since going gluten-free, it is that you can not take anything for granted. Until we get actual legal guidelines for food labeling as regards gluten, it's always best to check and make sure that your "assumption" is accurate, lest you eat something unsafe. :rolleyes:

Paula

turtle99 Rookie

I hadn't realized that going gluten-free was such tricky business til I started. I ate a wonderfully yummy organic chocolate bar, when half way through , I read on the label that it was made in a facilitythat uses wheat! So I kinda lied to myself, thinking maybe this bar didn't come into contact with it......because it tastes soooo good. So I ate the rest of the chocolate bar, and my lethargic old self was returning. It wasn't as severe but I starting feeling off..... Ok, yeh , so I learned my lesson. I need to take these warnings seriously.

I think if we want to be absolutely sure we do need some kind of verification from the makers of the product. So that's a lot of companies to call! I'm starting to get so scared of what to eat, I'm just eating plain whole foods now like potatoes, cheese, rice, eggs, fruits, salad.

What about deli meats? sausages? Do they usually contain gluten?

Do any of you have bad reactions to preservatives and additives, and flavour enhancers, like MSG ?

baggotlane Rookie

I don't see how the defense could stand up! If they say 'gluten-free' then it must be gluten-free, no matter where or how it is produced. How can that statement mean anything else? What do they mea by facility?

It's all a farce. For me, if iIsee the warning I cannot trust the company. Therefore I will not buy it.

Andrew

Nadtorious Rookie

I'm not going to point fingers, but yes, there is at least one company that labels their products as gluten free on the front of the package, but has the CYA warning on the back about being produced in the same facility and that cross contamination may occur. I know a lot of people haven't reacted to these products, but I have, and I think its kind of shady that a company can get away with that. Many new celiacs, like me at one point, saw a gluten free label as worry free and don't bother to read the ingredients. It's scary to think that a company would want to take advantage of such a serious illness by marketing something this way. I never thought I'd say this, but maybe the FDA needs to get involved in this.

Peace-

Nadia

Archived