26 replies to this topic

#16 wildones

wildones

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:27 PM

PF Changs has a gluten free menu, that you will need to ask for. I have asked, and so has a friend of mine, about a 'dedicated area' for gluten-free foods, and both restaurants (Flatirons and Park Meadows) said they did have that. I haven't ordered anything besides what is on the gluten-free menu, to be made gluten-free, but I think they are glad to do that.
Here's a link to ouside the breadbox
www.outsidethebreadbox.com
I liked the chocolate and carrot cakes, but it is pretty hard to go wrong with desserts :D . I was at my first Denver area CSA ?- celiac association meeting, and outside the breadbox brought some new crackers they were working on. I though they were both pretty good. I didn't really care for the bread I ordered from them, but haven't found any bread I like yet. The best so far is the gluten-free pantry breadmix that we make in our breadmaker. If you slice it very thin, and toast it it is pretty good.
We haven't tried Outback yet, but I have no desire to cook tonight, so maybe we will tonight.

Lorraine

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 irishmick777

irishmick777

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:59 AM

Regarding dining at OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE. Each restaurant recently received 2 gluten free menus, they look just like the regular menus. When ordering your salads without the croutons beware of the salad maker. His hands or gloves have touched the croutons for all the other salads he makes. He is also the one who makes the desserts, so that means he has to pull that gluten-free brownie out of it's plastic wrap. If your salad arrives with croutons on it and they take it back there is a tendency to just remove the croutons, so when you send it back ask them to now put the dressing on the side. Your best bet for non cross-contamination is to ask for the manager as soon as you get seated, he/she should be able to help you.

#18 lauradawn

lauradawn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:42 PM

Just as a side note, I found a bread mix that is really really good. I am a newly diagnosed celiac disease and have not been experiementing much yet. However, in our Safeway and also our local health food store, there is a mix, called A wonderful gluten-free bread mix. It's about $4. It is so easy to make. I think it can be made in the bread maker, but I have been making it in the oven. I would never know it's SPECIAL bread.

#19 Guest_Stepha_*

Guest_Stepha_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:34 PM

Thank you all for your responses they have helped a lot!

#20 Jo Ann

Jo Ann

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:49 AM

Dear Laura,
Could you please check the bread mix you mentioned "A Wonderful gluten-free Bread Mix" and give me the name of the manufacturer. We don't have Safeway store in our area, but the health food store could possibly order it for me. I've been trying to make a decent bread for years. I bake for my 11 yo grandson, and he likes to take sandwiches to school. Thanks so much! Jo Ann :)

#21 lauradawn

lauradawn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:19 PM

Hey Joann,
No problem, I love this bread. It freezes well, easy to make, and tastes really good in my opinion. Im so bad with breads, but this one turns out 100% of the time. It's made by Bob's Red Mill, and it's called " a Wonderrful gluten-free bread mix". Im sure your health food store would have it. Bob's Red Mill is a main company producing the alternative flours.

Hope you find and it, and like it! :D

#22 celiacfreeman

celiacfreeman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:21 AM

Coming to Colorada
estes park 1 day
vail area 1 day
aspen area 1 day
glenwood springs 1 day
ouray 2 days
durango 2 day
denver 1 day
Any stopped over places for meal beside the chain store would be greatly appreciated. Is the Carballas on the way out town from the Denver airport to
estes park. I'm making a gaint circle of the state and am so excited, live on the
flat east coast. Going to bring my george forman and camp in koa camping cabins.
some night were in a hotel so need foor near Aspen and Vail and Denver.

Any suggestion at all would be greatly appreaciated, even if there not all on the food topic.

thanks

#23 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:49 PM

Not sure if you have already had your trip or not, but I thought I'd chime in. There is a Carrabba's a few miles off of 36 which would be your most likely route from Denver to Estes Park.
I have not had any experience yet with eating gluten-free in restaurants, but in my opinion Carrabba's has incredible food (I am especially fond of their chicken Marsala) and they are very professional- you can observe most of the food preparation as it is done in plain view, so you could probably even talk with the chef as your food is being prepared. I would think them capable of handling special needs very professionally.

#24 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:37 PM

Another fast-food place w/ a full ingred listing online
http://www.jackinthe...ingredients.php
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#25 KAthyB

KAthyB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:40 PM

I found a Carraba's gluten-free menu online and brought it with me to the restaurant.
Kathy

#26 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:57 AM

As for McDonald's...there gluten-free list is at:

http://164.109.33.18...uten.index.html

McDonald's USA Gluten Free Menu Items

Back to Nutrition Information

McDonald's provides a listing of popular menu items that are gluten free and contain no wheat, barley, oats or rye. You may view this information below or download a printable version.

Beverages
Apple Juice
Coffee
Hot Chocolate
1% Low Fat Milk, White or Chocolate
Orange Juice
Soft Drinks
Chocolate Triple Thick® Shake
Strawberry Triple Thick® Shake
Vanilla Triple Thick® Shake
Condiments/Sauces
Butter
Chicken McNugget® Honey
Chicken McNugget® Hot Mustard Sauce
Hotcake Syrup
Jam
Ketchup
Lettuce
Margarine
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Onions
Pickles
Tartar Sauce
Tomato
Miscellaneous
Apple Dippers and Low Fat Caramel Dip
American Cheese
Beef Patty (no bun)
Breakfast Beef Steak
Canadian Bacon
French Fries
Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait (no granola)
Grilled Chicken Breast (no bun)+
Hash Browns
Ice Cream Sundaes including nuts
M&M® McFlurry®
Sausage
Scrambled Egg
Salads/Dressings
Caesar Salad w/o Chicken+
Side Salad
Newman's Own® Creamy Caesar Dressing
Newman's Own® Cobb Dressing
Newman's Own® Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette
Newman's Own® Ranch Dressing
Newman's Own® Salsa

This list is effective 06-21-2004.

+ Grilled Chicken Breast Filet alone does not contain gluten. However, during salad preparation, the Grilled Chicken Breast Filet used for salads may come in contact with the Crispy Chicken Breast Filet.

-celiac3270

#27 kathy4

kathy4

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:28 AM

PF Changs has been a great restaurant to work with on gluten-free selections- as is Pei Wei. Boston Market has a gluten-free menu. Taco Bell crunchy taco's are gluten-free- not sauces. All foods at Spring Creek BBQ are gluten-free. Bennigan's also has a gluten-free menu.

Also, if you are ever looking for a fun vacation Royal Carribean cruise line was amazing. We had several entrees to choose from at each meal with the approriate gluten-free modifications. Absolutely delicious! They even made us gluten-free bread, which my daughter swears is the best bread she has ever had. They went over the top appeasing us and we never got sick-not even once.

Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: