This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat Free Products Like Shampoo, Makeup

willabec

willabec Contributor

Ok, sorry that i keep posting in different areas, but this question fits this post....i am celiac, have been gluten free for 7 years- how strict does one have to be with the shampoo, makeup, cream, etc. that they use?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
Ok, sorry that i keep posting in different areas, but this question fits this post....i am celiac, have been gluten free for 7 years- how strict does one have to be with the shampoo, makeup, cream, etc. that they use?

It all depends on how careful you are with regards to ingestion of anything when you use these products. I do not screen for any topically used products except, of course, lip stuff. Have had great success with it for the past 4 1/2 years. Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin and will not cause a problem unless you ingest it or have another allergy type of problem, which you would react to topically. Many people have additional wheat allergies, making it impossible to use gluten or wheat containing products. If you are not comfortable with the thought of using non-gluten-free products, I would stick with what works for you.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

It really depends if you have skin problems related to gluten. I have to use gluten free personal care products because I will get rashes, hives and itching from products with gluten. They probably won't give your intestines problems but that doesn't mean they are safe for celiacs. Each person is different.

ratty89 Rookie

I cant use mascara, shampoo or body wash that contains wheat in it or else I get some bad skin problems. I know other people dont have these issues however. I think Im just ultra sensitive. If you dont get skin or any other reactions from using gluten cosmetics then you could be okay? Could pay to err on the side of caution though. The bonus of gluten-free cosmetics is they are often free of other nasty chemicals you shouldnt really be putting on your skin anyway!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I avoid it in all topicals that might somehow make contact with any mucous membranes. That means my shampoos and conditioners, all makeup and lotions etc. Gluten only needs to contact a mucous membrane for the antibody reaction to begin. Since for my body the reaction from a small amount is just as severe as it would be if I ate a slice of bread I avoid. Some folks don't feel the need to be as strict but when I found I was still getting frequesnt symptoms from mystery sources even months after I started the diet I made everything in my house gluten-free. The mystery glutenings stopped at that point. If you are still having symptoms you may want to consider deglutening your personal products for a while and see if it helps.

Swimmr Contributor
I cant use mascara, shampoo or body wash that contains wheat in it or else I get some bad skin problems. I know other people dont have these issues however. I think Im just ultra sensitive. If you dont get skin or any other reactions from using gluten cosmetics then you could be okay? Could pay to err on the side of caution though. The bonus of gluten-free cosmetics is they are often free of other nasty chemicals you shouldnt really be putting on your skin anyway!

I just ordered a new hair-care shampoo/conditioner called Wen, by Chaz Dean (if you saw it on tv recently, yes I caved...)

I looked at the ingredients. It has hydrolyzed wheat protein in it. I decided to use it anyways and knew that if I have a reaction I'll know I also have an allergy to wheat, along-side the intolerance (that comes from ingesting it only). Do I have that right? If I have a skin reaction it's an allergy?

So far so good and I've used it now 4 times.

Oh and it freakin is amazing!! I love how clean it gets my hair, how soft and how volumous! Ugh, I'm such a weiner

Gemini Experienced
I just ordered a new hair-care shampoo/conditioner called Wen, by Chaz Dean (if you saw it on tv recently, yes I caved...)

I looked at the ingredients. It has hydrolyzed wheat protein in it. I decided to use it anyways and knew that if I have a reaction I'll know I also have an allergy to wheat, along-side the intolerance (that comes from ingesting it only). Do I have that right? If I have a skin reaction it's an allergy?

Oh and it freakin is amazing!! I love how clean it gets my hair, how soft and how volumous! Ugh, I'm such a weiner

Yup....if you react from contact with a product, that would be an allergy. If you have DH and eat anything gluten containing, your skin will erupt from the internal reaction...an intolerance.

I don't think you are a weiner! I use good products and have no intentions of changing them. I don't eat them so it isn't a problem. When something works well, especially at my age, you stick with it! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I ordered this too and sent it back. However if it is working for you and you don't end up with symptoms reappearing then enjoy. It looked like a great product.

Swimmr Contributor
I ordered this too and sent it back. However if it is working for you and you don't end up with symptoms reappearing then enjoy. It looked like a great product.

Annnd I think I will have to as well.

I have 30 days to decide. I am starting an elimination diet on Monday. The only thing that gives me DH (that I can tell) is wheat.

I have a bump just outside the crease of my right arm. I had an itch and found three on the top of my butt.

*sigh* It is an AMAZING product. I haven't had to use anything on my hair before or after straightening it. It's so soft and silky, bouncy...shiny. I truly didn't think a tv offer would really work. But it does.

I'm very annoyed. Almost to tears tonight because I'm so sick of not being well.

QUANITA55 Newbie

Hi,

I had personally made myself go gluten free six months ago when a sibling was diagnosed.

The purple Aussie shampoo, the kiss my face products for lotions,sun screens and lip balm, and talc powder is Burts Bee's.

I have my Well Woman check up in 2 days.

And I am going to ask my doctor to start me on the tests.

Best of Luck to you!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi,

I had personally made myself go gluten free six months ago when a sibling was diagnosed.

The purple Aussie shampoo, the kiss my face products for lotions,sun screens and lip balm, and talc powder is Burts Bee's.

I have my Well Woman check up in 2 days.

And I am going to ask my doctor to start me on the tests.

Best of Luck to you!!

I hope you are not planning on being tested for celiac. If you were the time to do it was six months ago. Celiac testing will be useless for you now without a lengthy gluten challenge. Chances are you did the right thing if you are feeling better.

Gemini Experienced
Some folks don't feel the need to be as strict but when I found I was still getting frequesnt symptoms from mystery sources even months after I started the diet I made everything in my house gluten-free. The mystery glutenings stopped at that point. If you are still having symptoms you may want to consider deglutening your personal products for a while and see if it helps.

I think this is probably key....for those who are stillhaving symptoms, they obviously have to start looking at accidental ingestion of gluten, from their personal care products, as a possible culprit.

I also think it has little to do with feeling the need to be less strict.....I was about as far gone as you can get with Celiac and always feel the need to be very, very strict. However, after researching extensively about the disease and finding how it works as far as sparking an autoimmune reaction, using potential gluten containing personal care products can be done successfully by even the most sensitive of Celiacs.

You also have to be comfortable with it and if not, it won't work because you'll constantly be worried about ingestion.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Annnd I think I will have to as well.

I have 30 days to decide. I am starting an elimination diet on Monday. The only thing that gives me DH (that I can tell) is wheat.

I have a bump just outside the crease of my right arm. I had an itch and found three on the top of my butt.

*sigh* It is an AMAZING product. I haven't had to use anything on my hair before or after straightening it. It's so soft and silky, bouncy...shiny. I truly didn't think a tv offer would really work. But it does.

I'm very annoyed. Almost to tears tonight because I'm so sick of not being well.

I am sorry, I have DH also and it is always so depressing to try and use something, like it and then suffer a breakout.

You mention straightening your hair, have you seen the rotating hair styling tool with a brush? I have seen infomercials about it and recently ordered one from QVC called The Instyler that is supposed to do a nice job of polishing, softening and straightening the hair. Perhaps something like that might work for you?

Another thing you could try is NOW coconut oil and shea butter. That is literally all that is in it. It comes in a tub and you could try using just a bit worked through you hair or a heavier amount at night that you would wash out in the morning as a treatment. It is solid in the jar, I just scoop a bit out and warm it between my hands and it becomes an oil. I have used it for dry skin as well as lip balm and for my hair.

• 10 months later...
awwashburn Newbie

I am sorry, I have DH also and it is always so depressing to try and use something, like it and then suffer a breakout.

You mention straightening your hair, have you seen the rotating hair styling tool with a brush? I have seen infomercials about it and recently ordered one from QVC called The Instyler that is supposed to do a nice job of polishing, softening and straightening the hair. Perhaps something like that might work for you?

Another thing you could try is NOW coconut oil and shea butter. That is literally all that is in it. It comes in a tub and you could try using just a bit worked through you hair or a heavier amount at night that you would wash out in the morning as a treatment. It is solid in the jar, I just scoop a bit out and warm it between my hands and it becomes an oil. I have used it for dry skin as well as lip balm and for my hair.

Did you have good luck with the Instyler? My mom did not!

I have used WEN for a year and LOVE it. However, a few weeks ago I found I was getting itchy after showers, and even rash like areas occured sometimes. I've never experienced this with any gluten ingestion. I've tested most things in my shower, and since my head and ears (inside) are the itchiest areas, I'm pretty sure WEN is the culprit. Which is SO sad! I've heard there is another way to "wash" hair without stripping it (w/ baking soda)so I might try that. I've written WEN and asked them to develop a wheat free formula.

I'm a bit confused about some of the gluten/wheat allergy stuff so maybe someone can help me? What is "DH" that people keep mentioning? When the people who have had a rash/itch response to lotion/hair products do they also get the usual gluten ingestion symtoms as well(like stomach issues etc.?). Is this itchiness I'm getting a response to wheat allergy or gluten intolerance? Why don't I get itchy from gluten in food as well? Am I gluten intolerant or wheat allergic? Hmmm.. When I eat wheat I have way worse symptoms (sore throat, headache, stuffy nose, tired, constipated) than when I eat rye or barley (constipation). Thanks! Audrey

P.S. I should add that my obvious gluten/wheat issues (constant gas) started 9 months ago, I did an exclusion diet 5 months ago which identified the problem and so I've been trying my best to avoid gluten since.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'm a bit confused about some of the gluten/wheat allergy stuff so maybe someone can help me? What is "DH" that people keep mentioning? When the people who have had a rash/itch response to lotion/hair products do they also get the usual gluten ingestion symtoms as well(like stomach issues etc.?). Is this itchiness I'm getting a response to wheat allergy or gluten intolerance? Why don't I get itchy from gluten in food as well? Am I gluten intolerant or wheat allergic? Hmmm.. When I eat wheat I have way worse symptoms (sore throat, headache, stuffy nose, tired, constipated) than when I eat rye or barley (constipation). Thanks! Audrey

As to the Instyler, I didn't like it either and sent it back also.

DH is an antibody reaction and people that have DH will get blisters from ingesting gluten. Not everyone who has DH will have gut symptoms, some do some don't and some will go on to develop them in time.

It is quite possible to have an allergy to gluten as well as celiac or gluten intolerance. That may be what is going on with you. That would explain why you have a gut reaction when you eat it but don't get the skin reaction unless you use it topically.

Archived