This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is The Best Evaporated Milk Substitute?

KahleFamily

KahleFamily Apprentice

I have an AMAZING pumpkin pie family recipe which calls for Evaporated Milk.

Does anyone know a good substitute for this?

One of my major food intollerances is dairy, and being that this is my first gluten-free Thanksgiving, I need to do some experimenting now before I have guests around my table.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dada2hapas Rookie

I used vanilla flavored soymilk, which seemed to work fine. I was going to try to condense it down to 50% first, but didn't have time to setup a low temp vacuum evaporator. :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

When I was avoiding dairy, I used vanilla almond milk. I used less, though--a little more than half the amount of evaporated milk called for.

jststric Contributor

I, too, am very dairy intolerant. I have been experimenting with making cream sauces. The best luck I've had so far is by add Sour Cream and Cream Cheese alternatives along with the soymilk. Of course the soymilk needs to be added as the heat is being turned off as it seperates under the heat. I turn down the heat to get the sour cream and cream cheese stirred in and melted and then add the soymilk. I can't imagine them hurting the taste of pumpkin pie at all. I would go ahead and use the vanilla soymilk and perhaps add just a drop or so of vanilla to help enhance the vanilla flavor without thinning down your filling too much.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I boil down almond milk (could totally use soy, but I try to not have too much soy) until it's thicker. Takes a little while, but you can do it way ahead of time. Works fabulously!

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I don't know about the rest of you but, the "Amazing Pumpkin Pie recipe" needs to be posted! I can always use something "amazing" in my bag of tricks

Please, post!

homemaker Enthusiast

You can also make an Evaporated Equivalent to Evaporated Milk by using Soy or Rice Powder....

I have seen some at my local health food store...

Equivalent: Approximately 2 cups of Evaporated Milk

Ingredients:

* 1 cup Soy or Rice Milk Powder

* 1 cup Boiling Water

Directions: Combine the two ingredients in a blender, and blend until well mixed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KahleFamily Apprentice
I don't know about the rest of you but, the "Amazing Pumpkin Pie recipe" needs to be posted! I can always use something "amazing" in my bag of tricks

Please, post!

My family has been making this recipe for years. I am trying to adapt it to my new needs before Thanksgiving this year.

First of all... the pumpkin. Choose small pumpkins which are raised specifically for eating, they have a better flavor. You can also use any kind of winter squash, and a blend of 2 or 3 different ones is very tasty!

Wash the raw fruit very well, as you do not want any dirt getting into it. Cut the pumpkin into quarters and bake it in a 400 degree over for about an hour, you will want to cover it with foil to keep it from browning too much. When it is done, let it cool, then remove the outer hard shell and mash the pulp until smooth just like potatoes.

Now it is ready to make into pie and other recipes just like canned only better!

Ingredients for pumpkin pie:

3 C Pumpkin pulp

1.5 cups sugar or less, I usually use a blend of both brown and white sugar mixed (or xylitol)

1 tsp salt

2.5 tsp ground cinnamon

1.5 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp nutmeg

.75 tsp ground cloves

1 tsp Allspice

.75 tsp ground mace

6 slightly beaten eggs

1 egg white mixed with a little water (you can just add the extra yolk to the rest of the eggs)

2.5 c milk

2 6oz cans Evaporated (not condensed) milk

2 9-inch deep dish pie shells unbaked (you may have enough filling to fill a few small baking desert dishes as well.)

Set oven to 400 degrees

Using a pastry brush paint the edges of the pie crusts with the egg white, this will help keep them from getting too dark.

Combine all other ingredients and mix very thoroughly. set Empty pie crusts on a cookie sheet lined with foil to help minimize mess, set on oven rack and fill the pie crusts as full as possible. Carefully slide them into the oven. Bake for 50-60min. center will still look a bit liquidy. To know for sure insert a knife halfway between the crust and the center, it should come out clean.

Let pies cool completely before cutting. Serve with real whipped cream.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I've always used soy milk and no one noticed the difference but I wonder if coconut milk added would be thicker and really good? I've been using it in a lot of dishes and it's good in everything so far.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

This won't help if it is a dairy intolerance, but I used heavy cream and it was delicious.

KahleFamily Apprentice
This won't help if it is a dairy intolerance, but I used heavy cream and it was delicious.

Yup, I am intollerant to all the good comfort food stuff (you know, all the things that Thanksgiving is about): Gluten, Dairy, eggs and soy.

It was sad for me at first. I am Itallian, I love pasta and cheese. Darn.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
I have an AMAZING pumpkin pie family recipe which calls for Evaporated Milk.

Does anyone know a good substitute for this?

One of my major food intollerances is dairy, and being that this is my first gluten-free Thanksgiving, I need to do some experimenting now before I have guests around my table.

This was just posted the other day.

If you look down the page where the recipe is right after it she talks about subs

Open Original Shared Link

"If you want to make this pie dairy-free, a dairy-free milk like coconut milk should work just fine."

Good Luck

nevlivinwithout Newbie

I have found a non-dairy heavy whipping cream in our freezer section at our local grocery store. It does have casein in it but no dairy. I use it in making homemade non-dairy ice cream and it works great. Hope this helps.

mushroom Proficient
I have found a non-dairy heavy whipping cream in our freezer section at our local grocery store. It does have casein in it but no dairy. I use it in making homemade non-dairy ice cream and it works great. Hope this helps.

I had to google this, because I could not imagine a product which contains casein being "non-dairy", and this is what I found:

2006/02/20: Evidently the dairy inspectors require

that milk-similar items without milk (but with casein!) are labelled

as non-dairy to avoid confusing the consumer! They're worried about

the consumer who is hoping to get milk product and doesn't - and

those of us with allergies are screwed.

So anyone who is "dairy intolerant" rather than "lactose intolerant", beware! Talk about confusing the consumer!!!

purple Community Regular

Here is a df link that might be helpful:

digmom1014 Enthusiast
My family has been making this recipe for years. I am trying to adapt it to my new needs before Thanksgiving this year.

First of all... the pumpkin. Choose small pumpkins which are raised specifically for eating, they have a better flavor. You can also use any kind of winter squash, and a blend of 2 or 3 different ones is very tasty!

Wash the raw fruit very well, as you do not want any dirt getting into it. Cut the pumpkin into quarters and bake it in a 400 degree over for about an hour, you will want to cover it with foil to keep it from browning too much. When it is done, let it cool, then remove the outer hard shell and mash the pulp until smooth just like potatoes.

Now it is ready to make into pie and other recipes just like canned only better!

Ingredients for pumpkin pie:

3 C Pumpkin pulp

1.5 cups sugar or less, I usually use a blend of both brown and white sugar mixed (or xylitol)

1 tsp salt

2.5 tsp ground cinnamon

1.5 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp nutmeg

.75 tsp ground cloves

1 tsp Allspice

.75 tsp ground mace

6 slightly beaten eggs

1 egg white mixed with a little water (you can just add the extra yolk to the rest of the eggs)

2.5 c milk

2 6oz cans Evaporated (not condensed) milk

2 9-inch deep dish pie shells unbaked (you may have enough filling to fill a few small baking desert dishes as well.)

Set oven to 400 degrees

Using a pastry brush paint the edges of the pie crusts with the egg white, this will help keep them from getting too dark.

Combine all other ingredients and mix very thoroughly. set Empty pie crusts on a cookie sheet lined with foil to help minimize mess, set on oven rack and fill the pie crusts as full as possible. Carefully slide them into the oven. Bake for 50-60min. center will still look a bit liquidy. To know for sure insert a knife halfway between the crust and the center, it should come out clean.

Let pies cool completely before cutting. Serve with real whipped cream.

Thanks! Does sound 'amazing" I assume the secret is using the fresh pumpkin. The Food Network cooks are always harping on fresh ingredients-I guess I'll see this year!

• 6 years later...
waprog2 Newbie

If and only if you can do sheep's milk yogurt, the plain kind could work--you may have to thin it some with water. 

gilligan Enthusiast

I make pumpkin pies all the time.  I just use the coconut milk in the can.  It works great and doesn't taste at all like coconut.

Archived