This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Loosing Weight, Not Good

ratty89

ratty89 Rookie

So Ive been gluten free dairy free for about 10 weeks now, loving that my skin and tummy problems are going away.

The general thought was Id put on some much needed weight (was only about 52kg/115 lbs and Im around 5'5), due to malabsorption being righted, eating more protein etc.

I dont own scales but I can judge from my clothes fitting and my bone visibility through my skin that Ive lost some weight. Maybe down two kgs or 5 pounds. Not so good.

Ive been eating probably more than I used to since Im under instruction to eat 6 meals a day, have a high protein diet etc whereas before I had toast for breakfast, a candy bar for lunnch, a gluteny afternoon snack then dinner...generally. I am doing low sugar low fat however to help the healing of the stomach and with no dairy and gluten (or corn) my cake/biscuit/icecream/candy bar habit has all but vanished.

Has this happened to anyone when going gluten-free and what could I do to put a little weight on / not loose more???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Keeping your protein up is good but I would add fats if you can tolerate them and nuts as well. Chew them well for better digestion. Avacados are a good. Macadamia nuts are especially high in calories.

jststric Contributor

Sounds like you've never had to worry about being overweight. I can't imagine not, lol. All the things in Weight Watchers and places like that say is that white potatoes, corn and carrots are all real, whole foods overweight people should stay away from because they break down into sugar in our bodies. If you can find those type of items to add into your diet in addition to your protein. Maybe google foods overweight people should stay away from and then just eat those!

Wolicki Enthusiast

lots of nut butters :lol::lol::rolleyes::P

ilikechaitea04 Newbie

I'm having the same problem! I've lost almost 25 lbs. I'm a mere 97 lbs now. Used to be 115 (prior to diagnosis) then fell to 104. Now 97. It sucks because I've always been allergic to dairy, now now gluten, no eggs, no soy. And I'm on a fruit free ALL sugars free diet to kill of Candida. It's SO hard!!!!!

Just add as many calories as you can everyday. CALORIES CALORIES CALORIES. Add an extra protein shake a day.

Instead of water drink- Juice, dairy free milks, and get a good protein shake mix like Spirtein(it's gluten free/dairy free) or Jay Robb's Egg white protein, or Nutribiotic Rice Protein. They mix great with any juice or dairy free milk or go great in smoothies (come in all sorts of flavors).

Also, Nut butters are key! Avocados, adding healthy oils to gluten free baked goods etc.

Also, RED MEAT. Buffalo is great, it's higher in calories than beef and has a little less fat. Steak. Lamb.

Also, eating lots of good whole carbohydrates as well as protein helps. quinoa, Amaranth, Teff, Buckwheat are all great grains to eat! High in protein and fiber as well as nutrients!

Also, if you're excersizing regluarly, STOP! Yoga is okay though, help building muscle mass/tone as you gain weight back. Also, rest ALOT.

I'm still working on gaining weight too! Hang in there!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I agree that adding healthy fats is necesary to feeding your body's muscles. Add coconut milk and coconut oil several times a day in addition to the other suggestions. The high protein diet is good too but your body needs the healthy fats.

GFinDC Veteran

The main ingredients in most gluteney baked goods are fat, sugar and starch. Butter, sugar and flour, with a few eggs for protein and some yeast and flavorings. So if you give up gluteney baked goods and don't replace them with gluten-free baked goods, I can see losing some weight could make sense. I am not suggesting you run out and buy lots of gluten-free baked goods though!

You got some good suggestions already. I like to make guacamole for sandwich spread. I use it on corn tortillas. Put your corn tortilla on the gas stove burner for a few seconds and flip it with a pair of tongs. They are much softer when heated up. I make some meat and rice and veggies on the weekends to munch on during the week. Goes real well on a corn tortilla with some lettuce and guacamole. There's tons of good recipes in the baking and cooking forum here. Bananas are good in gluten-free cereal too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Yeah, I'm having the same problem here. I've always been very underweight and in the past year, I've dropped several more pounds and I'm afraid to list my weight for fear that someone will send me to the hospital :o

Rice, potatoes, vegetables, fruits, and nuts just aren't cutting it for me calorie-wise. Unfortunately, for years, the bulk of my calories came from dairy. However, dairy now appears to be a problem, so it's a no go for dairy now. After dropping the dairy, I started eating a large amount of whole grain pasta to try to make up some of the calories I'd lost, and voila, here I am, on a celiac board ;)

I'm curious about the coconut milk...do you drink this plain or put in on cereal or what? Sounds yummy, but I've never tried it. I may have to give it a shot! Any suggestions on how to eat/drink it? And boy, do I love macademia nuts! Expensive, though...

Archived