No replies to this topic

#1 babysteps

babysteps

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

Had dinner at Thai Basil in Greenwich, CT on Tuesday night.
I was a walk-in, first time visitor but they were on the ball!

The server immediately knew what gluten-free meant and what worked on their menu, so they must get a lot of requests (but I didn't find any earlier post here). She said that they make all their food to order, so they can easily accommodate special requests. My dinner partner is a vegetarian who doesn't each onions or garlic, they were happy to leave those out of her dish.

Basically any of their wok stir-fries can be made gluten-free, but make sure to specify (I assume they would usually use soy sauce).

Their curries and noodle dishes all seem to be gluten-free as is (they use only bean thread or 100% rice noodles). I say "seem to be gluten-free as is" because the server said they were fine without the "can be made" comment, but I would definitely self identify as gluten-free if ordering them just to be certain you get gluten-free!

The "entrees" section (specific meat dishes rather than the format of most of the rest of the menu, which is a vegetable prep with your choice of chicken/beef/pork/fish/shrimp/tofu) she skipped over, so I assume those cannot be made gluten-free. She noted that their oyster sauce does have soy sauce in it.

I had one of the noodle dishes (good, spiciness as advertised eg not very spicy), my friend had the red curry (quite spicy, marked 2 out of 3 on spicy scale, so as marked imho). Both tasty.

They also had a hot ginger drink, just fresh ginger & sugar, was nice on a cold evening.

We didn't get starters, so no specific info there, but it looked like there were several salads and a couple of soups that would likely be gluten-free.

They are at 95 Railroad Avenue, Greenwich CT 06830 across from the station & close to Greenwich Avenue.
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: