3 replies to this topic

#1 MinRalph

MinRalph

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

My 3 month old has been having a lot of trouble with constipation. She doesn't have Celiac Disease as far as we know. We switched her to a soy based formula and that helped for a couple of days, but now she's back to how she was before. Any suggestions?
~Melinda~

Celiac: Diagnosed 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

Do her vitamins have iron? My son became constipated from the iron in his vitamins.

#3 elle's mom

elle's mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

My 3 month old has been having a lot of trouble with constipation. She doesn't have Celiac Disease as far as we know. We switched her to a soy based formula and that helped for a couple of days, but now she's back to how she was before. Any suggestions?

Is the soy formula also gluten free? I'm not very informed about formula but that would be the first thing I would check. If you yourself are diagnosed celiac, your baby could very well be responding to gluten even though he/she may not be celiac. Just keep up your investigation, consitpation in a 3mo old is NOT normal, and don't let any doctor tell you "some babies are just constipated". I won't rant, but you could search for my previous rants if you like. Babies' bodies tell us things, we have to interpret their signals, do NOT ignore this signal. He/she is definately reacting to something.
~Jackie (Mom of a gluten & dairy-free home)
Myself: Neg blood tests despite myriad of life-long symptoms. Enterolab testing positive for gluten sensitivity: DQ5DQ5. Currently gluten, dairy, grain, & sugar free and on rotation diet.
5yo dd diagnosed celiac by blood test/biopsy Oct/Nov 2007: DQ2DQ5
7yo dd: neg blood tests, DQ5DQ6
3yo ds: neg blood tests, IgA deficient, DQ5DQ6
21mo dd: DQ2DQ5
DH: Neg blood tests, by deductive reasoning: DQ2DQ6.

#4 MinRalph

MinRalph

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

Is the soy formula also gluten free? I'm not very informed about formula but that would be the first thing I would check. If you yourself are diagnosed celiac, your baby could very well be responding to gluten even though he/she may not be celiac. Just keep up your investigation, consitpation in a 3mo old is NOT normal, and don't let any doctor tell you "some babies are just constipated". I won't rant, but you could search for my previous rants if you like. Babies' bodies tell us things, we have to interpret their signals, do NOT ignore this signal. He/she is definately reacting to something.

Thanks. We ended up switching her back to her original formula and everything is fine now. She seems to not be able to digest Enfamil, but Similac is great.
~Melinda~

Celiac: Diagnosed 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: