7 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Anyone know if Almond Dream is safe? I know there are issues with Rice Dream since they use barley in the production.
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

I don't know! but your post made me realize it is made by the same company as rice dream! After talking to them last week, I'm not buying ANY of their products again. However I would also like to know if almond dream uses barley in the production since I was having it over rice for breakfast until last week! At the suggestion of someone else on this board, I bought Pacific rice milk, it tastes good and they DON'T use barley! I hope you get an answer about almond dream though. Maybe try calling them and asking if they use barley, or if they make it in the same facility as the rice dream!
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#3 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

My understanding is that, in the "Dream" line of milk substitutes, only Rice Dream is processed with barley enzymes, and that Almond Dream is safe. They also have "Hemp Dream," which is surprisingly delicious (and I can have dairy!), and it, too, is processed without the barley enzymes.

#4 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:50 AM

Thanks so much for letting us know. I was wondering about this also, since Rice Dream is processed with barley enzymes. I'm sure I would have a reaction. My stomach is still so sensitive. I've been on a gluten free diet for seven weeks and it's slow progress. I've now, given up dairy & was looking about different milk options.
I'll have to try the Hemp Dream, too.

Cheers!
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#5 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

Has anyone had a reaction to the Almond Dream? I've been drinking it for the last three day & I've noticed each day I've been getting more & more bloated. Today I had trouble eating & felt sooo full all day. And I couldn't even eat my dinner tonight. I've been eating it with my rice in the morning. I know this is the only thing I've been eating differently. I even keep a food dairy.

I called the company last week & they told me it was not processed with barley enzymes & it was completely gluten free. I have to say the women sounded a little annoyed at my questions. <_<

Maybe there is some cross contamination while making it? Or maybe I'm just so sensitive to everything since I'm still healing?

Either way it's off my menu.

Has anyone had any bad reactions to it? Thanks!
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#6 Alphawave

Alphawave

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Has anyone had a reaction to the Almond Dream? I've been drinking it for the last three day & I've noticed each day I've been getting more & more bloated. Today I had trouble eating & felt sooo full all day. And I couldn't even eat my dinner tonight. I've been eating it with my rice in the morning. I know this is the only thing I've been eating differently. I even keep a food dairy.

I called the company last week & they told me it was not processed with barley enzymes & it was completely gluten free. I have to say the women sounded a little annoyed at my questions. <_<

Maybe there is some cross contamination while making it? Or maybe I'm just so sensitive to everything since I'm still healing?

Either way it's off my menu.

Has anyone had any bad reactions to it? Thanks!

Long before I knew I had Celiac, I had removed all dairy products, which I KNEW were a problem, unless it was yogurt or hard cheese (low lactose). I tried Almond Dream and knew something was wrong. At first I thought it was the coffee. I then tried Almond BREEZE, and have never had a problem in my coffee. Now that I have a confirmed diagnosis of Celiac, I don't want to mess things up, and haven't tried the DREAM brand. I have also put Pacific Organic Almond Milk (which is hard to find where I live), and I have no problem with it either. I am like you, trying to heal. I betcha there is some kind of cross contamination thing going on with the Dream brands. Same thing with rice cakes. I have no problem with the organic Lundberg brand, but the store was out one day, and I got the Quaker rice cakes. No bueno. Even though the label lists nothing even remotely laden with gluten. Here is the thing, Quaker uses barley malt in SOME of their rice cakes. Guess what, that junk floated over to the supposedly gluten free. ARGH !!!!

#7 ErikC

ErikC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

I know this is years after the original post, but I definitely got a reaction to Almond Dream. They do not label it gluten free in Canada, but I had thought the ingredients looked safe. It took me about two weeks to get a reaction, which became increasingly severe after another week. I am not as sensitive as some, so for those of you who are sensitive, avoid this product!

#8 Renaye

Renaye

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

I was originally eating amande yogurt and can't find any so I brought home almond dreams yogurt and suddenly realized that it may not be safe.  Rice Dreams milk is not safe so does that mean that all of the Dream products are not safe, including yogurt and ice cream? I bought it for my upcoming vacation and really don't want to take any chances with feeling ill..... 

Renaye

Positive DGP IgG & DGP IgA, negative biopsy, HLA typing unable to interpret, sicca syndrome, positive ANA, low WBC count, intolerant to peanuts, eggs, dairy, IBS-C, GERD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: