This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

La Choy Soy Sauce

jmj0803

jmj0803 Apprentice

Does anyone know if LA CHOY soy sauce is gluten free.I looked at the ingredients and it seems to be gluten free.

ingredients:WATER, SALT, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE(PRESERVATIVE)

Am I missing something?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Here is a list of gluten free soy sauces from this sites mainstream product list

Soy/Asian Sauces:

-Bragg's Liquid Aminos, distributed by Live Food Products, Santa Barbara, CA 93102. Tel: (800) 446-1990 and they accept credit card orders and deliver in three weeks.

-Chung King Soy Sauce (HVP from soybeans and corn)

-Chung King Teriyaki Sauce (HVP from soybeans and corn)

-Eden Brand Wheat-free Tamari Soy Sauce, Imported (better than domestic)

-Eden Brand Wheat-free Tamari Soy Sauce, Domestic

-La Choy Stir Fry Mandarin Soy Sauce

-La Choy Stir Fry Spicy Szechuan Sauce

-San-J International, Inc. - Wheat-Free Organic Tamari Soy Sauce. Address: 2880 Sprouse Drive, Richmond, VA 23231, USA, 800-448-5500, a subsidiary of San-Jirushi, Kuwana, Japan manufacturer of Tamari brand Soy Sauce. They make many different kinds of soy sauce including a wheat free Soy Sauce.

Hope this helps

jmj0803 Apprentice

Thanks Kaiti! :) Just wondering, did you see anything that would be suspicious in the ingredients?

tarnalberry Community Regular

It is gluten-free, though for things that you haven't checked on, calling on the caramel color is a good idea.

La Choy, however, in my OH so HUMBLE opinion :lol: sucks. Some people like it, but I don't. I highly encourage you to try finding San-J's wheat free tamari. And having Bragg's on hand is a good idea for the times when you want something like the flavor of soy sauce, but much lighter.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I just want to say I'm a huge gluten reactor and every time I used La Choy I reacted. I have switched to San-J Wheat-Free Organic Tamari Soy Sauce and I've not had a single problem. I'm not saying that La Choy has gluten I'm just saying SOMETHING in it bothers me.

Susan

• 4 years later...
jmdcolorado Newbie

Yeah, it doesnt seem to have anything in it on the label but I react also. I would stick with the list that is for sure gluten free.

Here is a great website for things that might get ya too even if they seem ok.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

RESO Apprentice

La Choy Soy Sauce is made by ConAgra foods. I called them about it a few days ago and was told that their labeling policy is if it has any gluten ingredients (wheat, rye or barley) they will be listed as that ingredient or in the case of things like natural flavors it would be in parenthesis - for example natural flavors (derived from WHEAT). They, like Kraft, go above and beyond the labeling laws. I can't speak for the taste since I haven't tried it yet, but I will say that I will support companies with policies like these with my hard earned dollars.

If you react to the soy sauce, you're definitely reacting to something in it, but it's pretty safe to say that it's not gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

La Choy is most definitely gluten-free and always has been. Wheat is the ingredient that most soy sauces have and in the U.S. it HAS to be listed. In fact, it was always listed even before the allergen law.

As for caramel color, the alleged danger there is wheat (I've never found caramel color with wheat), not barley, rye or oats. Again, in the U.S. it would have to be listed.

richard

• 6 months later...
redraider1856 Rookie

Can you provide a link where this product list is given?

Thanks!

Here is a list of gluten free soy sauces from this sites mainstream product list

Soy/Asian Sauces:

-Bragg's Liquid Aminos, distributed by Live Food Products, Santa Barbara, CA 93102. Tel: (800) 446-1990 and they accept credit card orders and deliver in three weeks.

-Chung King Soy Sauce (HVP from soybeans and corn)

-Chung King Teriyaki Sauce (HVP from soybeans and corn)

-Eden Brand Wheat-free Tamari Soy Sauce, Imported (better than domestic)

-Eden Brand Wheat-free Tamari Soy Sauce, Domestic

-La Choy Stir Fry Mandarin Soy Sauce

-La Choy Stir Fry Spicy Szechuan Sauce

-San-J International, Inc. - Wheat-Free Organic Tamari Soy Sauce. Address: 2880 Sprouse Drive, Richmond, VA 23231, USA, 800-448-5500, a subsidiary of San-Jirushi, Kuwana, Japan manufacturer of Tamari brand Soy Sauce. They make many different kinds of soy sauce including a wheat free Soy Sauce.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...
GarAndTeed Rookie

It is gluten-free, though for things that you haven't checked on, calling on the caramel color is a good idea.

La Choy, however, in my OH so HUMBLE opinion laugh.gif sucks. Some people like it, but I don't. I highly encourage you to try finding San-J's wheat free tamari. And having Bragg's on hand is a good idea for the times when you want something like the flavor of soy sauce, but much lighter.

Bragg's is AWESOME!!! I liked it better than other brands before I was dx'd...for what it's worth.

Thx!

• 1 year later...
ummjiadi Newbie

Hi, Just wanted to add that while La Choy Soy sauce may be gluten free, the "hydrolyzed soy protein" is derivative of msg and that may be what some people react to.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Where can I get San-J's? Regular grocery store or do I need to make a trip to the health food store? We have been using La Choy's but I don't like the way it tastes.

sa1937 Community Regular

Where can I get San-J's? Regular grocery store or do I need to make a trip to the health food store? We have been using La Choy's but I don't like the way it tastes.

I bought San-J at a regular grocery store (specifically Giant Foods here in the East). A health food store would probably have it, too.

You may also want to look to see if they have the new gluten-free Kikkoman Soy Sauce. Kikkoman used to be my favorite before I went gluten-free.

lovegrov Collaborator

And the great thing about the Bragg is that sodium per serving is only about 110 mg. MUCH, MUCH less than even the reduced sodium soy sauce or San-J.

richard

kareng Grand Master

And the great thing about the Bragg is that sodium per serving is only about 110 mg. MUCH, MUCH less than even the reduced sodium soy sauce or San-J.

richard

If my calculations are correct, Bragg actually has more sodium. Assuming you are making a stir fry and use the same amount of either San-J low sodium or the Braggs Aminos. Maybe you use less Braggs? & add water for liquid (sauce)? A recipe I had said to use 1 tbsp of Braggs but I didn't have it & used 1 tbsp of San-J.

Braggs is 160 mg sodium per 1/2 tsp

San-J is 700 mg per tablespoon

3 teaspoons per tablespoons or 6 1/2 per tblsp.

6x 160 = 960 per tablespoon for Braggs

mamaw Community Regular

Kikkoman just came out witha gluten-free soy sauce clearly marked gluten-free on front label...

lovegrov Collaborator

I wasn't reading serving size carefully, although the Bragg I have says 110 mg, not 160.

richard

kareng Grand Master

I wasn't reading serving size carefully, although the Bragg I have says 110 mg, not 160.

richard

I got the 160 mg off the website. Might be some different versions. Or another example of the website & the product not matching up. The first rule of Celiac:

Read & go by the labels. :)

• 1 year later...
CommonTater Contributor

We called la Choy, they wanted the UPC code and said it is NOT gluten free.

My husband found 'Kikkoman Gluten Free' at Albertson's.

• 2 weeks later...
Frances03 Enthusiast

These kinds of posts annoy me so much!! "We just called La Choy and said it was not gluten free". Why do you do things like that to mislead others??? If you don't know what you're talking about, why post anything at all?? I just got off the phone with La Choy. I spoke to a woman about my La Choy All Purpose Soy Sauce. We have no idea what product you were talking about, but THIS soy sauce does NOT contain any gluten. Furthermore, they test the lines after making anything that DOES contain gluten, before they move on to making another product. Their label will STATE if the product contains wheat, rye, or barley! This product does NOT contain gluten. It is not labeled "gluten free" because of our stupid govt regulations, but she did tell me they were "moving in that direction". If you only eat things labeled "gluten free", then don't eat it! But don't tell everyone it's not gluten free when it is. I have been using it for years, as have many other people, with no issues. Please don't come on here and make blanket statements that aren't even factual.

• 4 years later...
Butt Newbie

Everyone here is very sure La Choy Soy Sauce has no gluten. Yeah, the label has all non-gluten ingredients, but I know how I react to gluten and I'm going to say they are flat out lying. I wish there was a way to test the product to see if it really doesn't have any gluten in it. If you believe the FDA in the USA is always perfect, well I doubt it. I'm calling them out, BS on this. I think they left flour off the ingredient list so people like us would buy it. Flour is a common ingredient in soy sauce. I know how I react, and I reacted strongly to this product. It has gluten and they are lying about it.

cyclinglady Grand Master
5 hours ago, Butt said:

Everyone here is very sure La Choy Soy Sauce has no gluten. Yeah, the label has all non-gluten ingredients, but I know how I react to gluten and I'm going to say they are flat out lying. I wish there was a way to test the product to see if it really doesn't have any gluten in it. If you believe the FDA in the USA is always perfect, well I doubt it. I'm calling them out, BS on this. I think they left flour off the ingredient list so people like us would buy it. Flour is a common ingredient in soy sauce. I know how I react, and I reacted strongly to this product. It has gluten and they are lying about it.

I would suggest a certified gluten free soy sauce, just to be safe.  Test that and if you react, you'll be able to rule out a gluten reaction from La Choy.  

Butt Newbie
7 hours ago, Butt said:

Ok guys, I messed up. I ate a bag of marshmallows the same day... low and behold, with wheat starch. I did not expect that. Sneaky sneaky marshmallows with with wheat starch. fml

kareng Grand Master
7 hours ago, Butt said:

Actually "flour" is not a common ingredient in soy sauce.   Accusing a manufacturer of "lying" about ingredients is a serious charge.  If you actually have proof that this company is not listing ingredients, you should report it to the FDA.

Archived