This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tinkyada Pasta

twe0708

twe0708 Community Regular

Does anyone know where I can get this pasta from? Is this the best pasta out there that's close to the real thing. I made Quinoa for my family and they did not like it! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I get it at our co-op b/c its cheaper than at W-mart. We don't have W-foods/Traders. W-mart has a limited selection. Be sure to rinse it after its done boiling.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've frequently seen it at "regular" grocery stores--usually in the "natural foods" sections.

twe0708 Community Regular
I get it at our co-op b/c its cheaper than at W-mart. We don't have W-foods/Traders. W-mart has a limited selection. Be sure to rinse it after its done boiling.

Is W-mart Walmart? Why do you have to rinse it?

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I find it at my local health food store. It is NOT the best pasta. I prefer Bi-Aglut which I order online. If you can tolerate corn I suggest you try to find some. It's pricey but well worth it. It holds it's shape and tastes very much like the real pastas.

purple Community Regular
Is W-mart Walmart? Why do you have to rinse it?

Yes and Walmart has some corn pasta, I found it with the gluten pasta. There is tons of info on here if you google it. I never rinse the lasagna pasta though (I don't know why not)

You rinse off the "slime" :lol:

Swimmr Contributor

My whole foods, called the Apple Crate here has Tinkyada. PM me for location.

However I started buying the Schar brand. It's European...German to be exact and the noodles have a consistency that of egg noodles. I LOVE it!! Hehe I love the picture on the homepage :D

Open Original Shared Link

They also have a bread that is really tastey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I can get it at my local Safeway, in WA.

I don't rinse the pasta if I'm putting a sauce on it right away, because I like the extra starch to help thicken the sauce. If I'm making a pasta salad out if it, I will rinse it, or the extra starch will make it stick too much together after it's gone into the fridge.

Juliebove Rising Star

I usually buy it at my health food store (Tru Health) because it is cheaper. But I have seen it at pretty much all of the grocery stores around here, although they may carry only one or two kinds. I have also bought it online at various places.

Chattyaholic Rookie

I've gotten the penne, lasagna noodles, elbows, tri-colored twists and regular twists at my local health food store. $3 for 12 oz.

Then today I was at Meijer's (chain dept. store, like Wal-Mart) and they had a really good gluten free section. The Tinkyada pasta was there, but I didn't buy any so didn't notice what their price was.

I love the penne with spaghetti sauce, and I made two 9x13" pans of "regular" lasagna for a family gathering last weekend and then made myself a small one with "my" lasagna noodles and it was just as good. Yesterday I made goulash with the gluten-free elbows and couldn't tell any difference. I love the Tinkyada pasta!

purple Community Regular
I've gotten the penne, lasagna noodles, elbows, tri-colored twists and regular twists at my local health food store. $3 for 12 oz.

Then today I was at Meijer's (chain dept. store, like Wal-Mart) and they had a really good gluten free section. The Tinkyada pasta was there, but I didn't buy any so didn't notice what their price was.

I love the penne with spaghetti sauce, and I made two 9x13" pans of "regular" lasagna for a family gathering last weekend and then made myself a small one with "my" lasagna noodles and it was just as good. Yesterday I made goulash with the gluten-free elbows and couldn't tell any difference. I love the Tinkyada pasta!

I love your cat pic! :D:lol::)

Juliebove Rising Star
Yes and Walmart has some corn pasta, I found it with the gluten pasta. There is tons of info on here if you google it. I never rinse the lasagna pasta though (I don't know why not)

You rinse off the "slime" :lol:

I don't normally rinse it but if I'm going to make pasta salad, I put it in cold water. If I have a small amount and want it cold right away, I would use cold water to rinse.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Over the past 2 years, I've tried just about all of them and some are downright disgusting.

Tinkyada certainly isn't "like the real thing", but it's the best I've had, especially their brown rice spaghetti or angel hair (seems to hold up a bit better). Other shapes seem to have some issues.

I haven't tried a couple of the other brands mentioned here, because I refuse to pay $8.00 pound for dried pasta (and I grew up in an Italian neighborhood!).

One key to success is NEVER to overcook any gluten-free pasta. It can happen in an instant and your whole pot will be broken, pasty noodles. I DO rinse in cold water for a couple of seconds, it does take some of the slime off (but doesn't affect the taste one way or another). Also, I have ALWAYS had good luck using the "off the heat" cooking method shown on the front of the package.

Amazon does carry it if you can't find it locally.

Lombardi25 Apprentice

I personally do not like Tinkyada, even when I rinse it I just have never been able to get use to the texture and taste, my preference is Bionaturae, they have Penne, Fusilli and Spaghetti and all are very good, but that's just me, they are especially good if you are making baked meals like Baked Penne or Baked Mac and Cheese (I use the Penne for the Baked Mac and Cheese and it comes out amazing). Shaws, (chain grocery store in the Northeast) and all the local health food stores have this.

I recently found Orgran too (specifically their Rigatoni) which I tried and I actually like that now BETTER than the Bionaturae, with either of them I barely can tell the difference of regular pasta anymore (I'm sure my taste buds have adjusted too) but wow it is good.

The last one I like is the Schar Tagliatelle, I tried their regular Spaghetti though and it had that really bad corn taste that I am not a fan of, but the Tagliatelle kind seems to cook well, kinda like really thin egg noodes. I just started trying that one too and it's a good butter/garlic sauce type pasta.

But those are the three I use, the last two have been harder to find, only a couple health food stores have those. I have tried alot of them and there are some really bad ones out there lol Also, if you can find it Conte makes frozen cheese Ravioli and many stores here have finally started to carry it, pretty good, not the best, but definitely nice to have, and then there is a company called Ceasar's that puts out frozen lasagna, stuffed shells, and manicotti meals which are becoming easier to find around here too, and those are pretty good but take about an hour to bake. Anyways, hope all that helps, sorry for the wall of text, but I tend to ramble on here lol.

PS: I live in New Hampshire so all this is based on this area I am not sure how widely available these products are in other parts of the country.

• 3 weeks later...
sylntangel Newbie

Hello, I am new to this board and have been on the gluten free diet for 3 weeks however my father was diagnosed 5 years ago. I personally have not tried MANY pastas from the store but I was not impressed my the ones my dad used (not sure of the brand as he live in NC and im in IN.) I did buy tinkyada the other week and make home made mac and cheese and it was WONDERFUL!! I couldnt tell a difference really. I undercooked the pasta my 2-3 mins and rinsed in cold water then mixed with my gluten free home made cheese sauce and baked it for 20 mins and it held its texture REALLY WELL! it wasnt undercooked at all either. I deffinatly will be using this pasta for my cravings in the future. now if only i could find some GOOOOD gluten free 3 cheese tortolini (spelling?)

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

I've been looking for cheese tortellini for 2.5 years myself, let us know if you find some!

Archived