4 replies to this topic

#1 KahleFamily

KahleFamily

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

I have been gluten free for a little while now, but I still am getting a rash on my hands and knees. Does the DH rash ever go all the way away? Or is it that I may not be totally Gluten Free yet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 momxyz

momxyz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

I have been gluten free for a little while now, but I still am getting a rash on my hands and knees. Does the DH rash ever go all the way away? Or is it that I may not be totally Gluten Free yet?

how long is "a little while"?

People's experiences vary, but generally what I've gathered from this board is that it can take some time.... patience as well as staying gluten free is required!

I'm just about at the 3 months mark for being gluten free. My rash was confined to feet, ankles, lower leg...and although I saw improvement fairly quickly, it took a month and a half before new blisters totally stopped appearing. (And then I glutened myself and erupted again!)) Now I have three small spots that may itch a bit from time to time; they are somewhat red, tho not the angry red they used to be. The rest of the spots are healed over but have left purply-tan spots that are in various degrees of fading.

#3 Glamour

Glamour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

I have some that are fading, but others that seem to be reacting worse, hot, angry, red, weepy.

I wonder if it is a get worse before it gets better detoxing type reaction. I also wonder if mild infections and fungus rashes get mixed in with severe DH and those rashes are not clearing up. I just did a vinegar bath soak and it seems to be helping.

I would love to hear a scientific explanation on why the rash picks certain areas, and its motivation to rotate around the body. The symmetrical action is interesting, also. The rash must release some god awful histamines because the itch is unbelievable.

It is so easy to get cc and hidden gluten when you are new at this. I am trying to be ultra careful.

#4 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

The worst part of my rash was active for about 2 months and took just as long to heal. Now I only get it when I'm glutened. I have one bump on my hand from some bean soup my Mom made this week. I did ask her what was in it but I should have read the bean can labels. Just goes to show that even someone with experience makes rookie mistakes.

#5 esammarie

esammarie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

I have some that are fading, but others that seem to be reacting worse, hot, angry, red, weepy.

I wonder if it is a get worse before it gets better detoxing type reaction. I also wonder if mild infections and fungus rashes get mixed in with severe DH and those rashes are not clearing up. I just did a vinegar bath soak and it seems to be helping.

I would love to hear a scientific explanation on why the rash picks certain areas, and its motivation to rotate around the body. The symmetrical action is interesting, also. The rash must release some god awful histamines because the itch is unbelievable.

It is so easy to get cc and hidden gluten when you are new at this. I am trying to be ultra careful.

I'm with you; the pathophysiology of DH is quite interesting. There are some great online discussions to check out - they really helped me understand my DH and why it does what it does:
http://emedicine.med...062640-overview (this is not written for the average lay person and so the very medical terminology can be a bit tough but it's a really thorough discussion of the disease)

This one is more reader friendly: http://celiacdisease...matitisHerp.htm

I hope these are helpful. I'm dealing with a new breakout about 4 weeks into the gluten-free life. I'm thinking I cross-contaminated myself after making my niece a hotdog on a regular bun. I must not have washed my hands and counter carefully enough before making my own lunch. Dumb mistake!
Happy to be alive
Diagnosed by skin biopsies with DH September 2009
Confirmed celiac disease by GI biopsy and all positive blood tests Oct. 09
Learning to be gluten-free - and healthy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: