1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 tbspns granulated sugar
2 teaspns baking powder
1/4 tspn salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tbspn veg. oil

I don't have the sweet rice flour. Anything else I can use?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 twe0708

twe0708

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

Ok, so I ended up using sweet white sorghum flour and not sure if this is why but I thought the pancake tasted like there was sand in my teeth when I would chew. Pamela's pancake mix is still the way to go! :)

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

Sorry you had to answer your own post :D

I would have probably just used all white rice flour, since there was cornstarch in the recipe. Also, almond flour might have been good.

Gluten Free Pantry has an excellent pancake mix, too.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 DMarie

DMarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

I also wanted to add that unless you are using "superfine" rice flour - that might account for the grittiness. I find things made with regular grind rice flour are heavy and gritty. Superfine makes a BIG difference. ;)

Just my .02 worth, in case you try again. You might replace the sweet rice flour with tapioca flour (keeping with a lighter pancake), or maybe even almond meal as already suggested. :P
Dawn

Gluten Intolerant. Celiac bloodwork - negative (levels were tested after being very low gluten for over a year).
No other testing done (not worth the pain). Mostly Gluten Free since 2003. Stopped all gluten 2006.

2 daughters also gluten intolerant (14 and 18). Youngest is very sensitive. Bloodwork done before trying a gluten free diet - negative. Oldest decided to do a gluten challenge before any testing.

#5 meraza

meraza

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Sue Gregg's blender batter pancakes ROCK.

#6 A&Z'S MOM

A&Z'S MOM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

Ok, so I ended up using sweet white sorghum flour and not sure if this is why but I thought the pancake tasted like there was sand in my teeth when I would chew. Pamela's pancake mix is still the way to go! :)

its true that regular grind gives that sand in the mouth feeling but if you soak the rice flour in the milk before hand and then blend and then the rest of the ingredients the results are far superior...no grittiness.... :D

#7 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

I also wanted to add that unless you are using "superfine" rice flour - that might account for the grittiness. I find things made with regular grind rice flour are heavy and gritty. Superfine makes a BIG difference. ;)

Just my .02 worth, in case you try again. You might replace the sweet rice flour with tapioca flour (keeping with a lighter pancake), or maybe even almond meal as already suggested. :P

Thanks! I will give that a try. I am still looking for the perfect pancake. Pam's is still number 1 but I haven't really tried many other recipes and Pam's is a little doughy on the inside still but is better than nothing. I have already tried cooking it at a lower temp. and longer but still no luck.

#8 Kymberlye

Kymberlye

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Sweet rice is used for its starch so a good substitution is tapioca flour, potato starch, or corn starch but seeing corn starch is already in the receipe try tapioca or potato. I would also have to agree with using super fine rice flours otherwise they do tend to be gritty!!

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks! I will give that a try. I am still looking for the perfect pancake. Pam's is still number 1 but I haven't really tried many other recipes and Pam's is a little doughy on the inside still but is better than nothing. I have already tried cooking it at a lower temp. and longer but still no luck.

I find my pan needs to be just a bit HOTTER for gluten-free pancakes. Took me a while to figure it out. It makes them rise better and gives that crispy crust.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Sweet rice is used for its starch so a good substitution is tapioca flour, potato starch, or corn starch but seeing corn starch is already in the receipe try tapioca or potato. I would also have to agree with using super fine rice flours otherwise they do tend to be gritty!!

Just so you know . . . you are answering a post that is almost three years old. Although the info is good for anyone else needing help with substitutions, the original poster probably has figured out which pancake recipe works for them :)
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: