This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Loss

Brittany2

Brittany2 Apprentice

Hello,

I've had an itchy scalp since a younger age, but its never been so much of a problem until this past year, especially back in March when I realized my hair was falling out! Has anyone else had this same occurrence, I know hair loss is a symptom, but out of curiosity, in what ways did yours manifest?

Thanks! Best to you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just like you. Usually my scalp will itch, although only in the back for some reason. Even a small amount of gluten or for me soy also, will cause this. I also have to be very careful what shampoos etc I use on my hair. It has taken me a long time to find a safe shampoo but I now use Shikai, which seems to work well with no itchyness or hair loss. Something that has also helped stop the hair loss is taking the Stress vitamins which are high in B's and also an additional one with biotin. I have seen regrowth and the hair shaft itself is thicker near the roots.

There is also a vitamin mixed with chinese herbs that I used for a while which seemed to work well called Bao Shi 'I think that is the name but not sure' but after my soy intolerance came to the forefront I had to stop using because one of the herbs is processed with soy. Do NOT use Rogaine without checking first, unless they changed the formula recently it has wheat protein in it.

beanpot Apprentice

I also have had an itchy scalp on and off for many years. didn't know that it was related to gluten but it makes sense. Not shampooing too much seems to help when I get flakes. I've been assuming its dandruff mostly and using Head and Shoulders. Had some stress-related hair loss years ago. I think Omega 3 oils help too.

• 2 weeks later...
khennigan1 Newbie

hi!

could you tell me the brand names of the vitamins you took to help your hair? i'm having horrible problems with mine falling out/not growing and i'm desperate to fix it! also, i've been having itchy scalp too... does that mean i've eaten gluten?

Just like you. Usually my scalp will itch, although only in the back for some reason. Even a small amount of gluten or for me soy also, will cause this. I also have to be very careful what shampoos etc I use on my hair. It has taken me a long time to find a safe shampoo but I now use Shikai, which seems to work well with no itchyness or hair loss. Something that has also helped stop the hair loss is taking the Stress vitamins which are high in B's and also an additional one with biotin. I have seen regrowth and the hair shaft itself is thicker near the roots.

There is also a vitamin mixed with chinese herbs that I used for a while which seemed to work well called Bao Shi 'I think that is the name but not sure' but after my soy intolerance came to the forefront I had to stop using because one of the herbs is processed with soy. Do NOT use Rogaine without checking first, unless they changed the formula recently it has wheat protein in it.

DebNC84 Apprentice
Hello,

I've had an itchy scalp since a younger age, but its never been so much of a problem until this past year, especially back in March when I realized my hair was falling out! Has anyone else had this same occurrence, I know hair loss is a symptom, but out of curiosity, in what ways did yours manifest?

Thanks! Best to you!

i have issues with a itchy scalp and hair loss! I also have DH - do you? my itchy scalp seems to be aggravated by sweating.. like wearing a cap in the summer while outside makes me sweat and then comes the itch... washing my hair helps relieve the itch. I have read that increasing water intake during this time may help - My hair loss occurs each time i get glutened significantly - it seems.. handfuls come out while washing my hair - it's depressing to me.. I have long hair and know that it will be "forever" for that hair to grow back and be long again. Yes it does grow back .. at my forehead.. i see the new hair growth.. looks like thin bangs... sigh. Just have to quit taking chances with food. I do great at the house but then I will try to eat out and something always happens.

I have recently gone soy free - as well. Come to find out - soy has enzymes that block the absorption of many vitamins and minerals.. like anyone with celiac disease really needs that!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
hi!

could you tell me the brand names of the vitamins you took to help your hair? i'm having horrible problems with mine falling out/not growing and i'm desperate to fix it! also, i've been having itchy scalp too... does that mean i've eaten gluten?

I generally buy Country Life, they have one mix that is specially for skin and hair that I have used for a long time. You should also check you shampoos and such for gluten ingredients as well.

sickchick Community Regular

I began having hair 'shedding' in summer 2006. I wasn't diagnosed until Oct 2007. For me, I have scalp pain, sensitivity and hairloss. I had very thick hair and I have 1/4 of the hair I had.

getting thin. I also have cracks in the corners of my mouth (iron deficiency) so I think iron is a contributing factor for sure. I am going to have my iron lvels checked very soon.

good luck, Doll! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Brittany2 Apprentice

Hi all! :D Thanks for the replies. Luckily I've had a gluten free shampoo on hand that my grandma sent to me awhile ago, hoping the natural product would help my head.

Its Desert Essence Organics, I use the Volumizing Apple one specifically but I'm sure there are others. It specifically states gluten free on the back. It's been helping, my heads less itchy and irritated, I only scratch if I'm stressed, or dairy seems to also aggravate it.

For vitamins, my dermatologist recommended biotin and biosil, they said it doesn't make it grow faster or anything but makes it stronger and thicker when it grows, biosil is harder to find but Vitamin shops carry it, I know they've listed their product as gluten free as well, I'm not sure about the biotin yet, but I'm about to look into it soon. Hope that helps.

Felidae Enthusiast

Very interesting topic. My scalp has been so itchy for the past year. It's not from gluten. I've tried many different shampoos without any great success. My hair is thinning at a faster rate for the past year also. It really sucks having a flaking scalp and thinning hair!

one more mile Contributor

My massive hair loss was due to and underactive thyroid. If you are chilly more then usualy, or gaining weight please as your regular doctor to check it.

• 1 month later...
clarkje20 Newbie

I began having hair 'shedding' in summer 2006. I wasn't diagnosed until Oct 2007. For me, I have scalp pain, sensitivity and hairloss. I had very thick hair and I have 1/4 of the hair I had.

getting thin. I also have cracks in the corners of my mouth (iron deficiency) so I think iron is a contributing factor for sure. I am going to have my iron lvels checked very soon.

good luck, Doll! B)

Your issues sound JUST like mine...Uggggg...I have low iron levels, but I take iron supplements 3 pills a day. Is your hair growing back?

Archived