#16 Jinscoe

Jinscoe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:20 PM

Hello...

I too race bicycles. Road and Track. I'm Gluten and Lactose intolerant. I also don't eat red meat. Chicken and fish, yes but very little. I train / race between twelve and fifteen hours a week so food and energy has been a huge issue. So far... here's what I've found that works for me:

Most big race days I tend to eat a nice heaping bowl of rice pasta with a little bit of tomato sauce. During warm up before the race I'll enjoy a banana. During the race I eat these fairly new energy bars by Organic Food Bar Inc. - they're gluten-free and pretty good tasting. 34g of carbs to 14g of protien. Pretty decent ratio. When in a pinch, I'll suck down half a pack of Enervit liquid gel. Honestly, I don't know if it's gluten-free or not but the ingredients list seems to made up of pretty much just sugar. I've had no bad reaction to it so if you go that route... do some investigating before you eat it. None of the ingredients are on the "Foods to avoid" list that I have.

On smaller race days, when races are maybe an hour or so I'll make a sandwich on gluten-free bread from this fine bakery in Colorado. Their breads are incredible. I'll follow that up with a banana before the race gets under way.

Energy drinks are another issue altogether. I haven't done much research into them so for the moment I just drink water. I'm in the process of getting some ingredients lists on a few things to see if I can have them. Like Sustained Energy. I've heard nothing but great things about this product but everything I've found online doesn't list ingredients.

Also, I have no idea if there's a Trader Joe's near you but they have these amazing Banana Waffles that are gluten-free. Very good source of carbs and energy.

If I can help out in any way, just ask. I'm still looking for other products to help me along so whatever I find I'll be sure to post here.

Jerry
Team Bike N' Hike / Giant

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:10 AM

Hi,

Yeah! Thanks Marke for bringing up the topic, I really struggle with this. I do not race yet, but that is my goal for this season (I mainly road ride). I struggle with keeping enough energy, this was never a problem before my celiac disease manifested. I eat continuously! I don't recover as well as I use to.

Jinscoe, I appreciate your specific examples. I'll look for the gluten-free energy bars by Organic Food Bar, Inc.

I've made my own "granola"/energy bars from a recipe in the gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Easy. I add extra almond slices and extra dried fruit. I've tried a variety of gluten-free cereals in them.

Thanks!

#18 Jinscoe

Jinscoe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:01 AM

Veggf... I should have posted their web address. Maybe there's a way to find out if they sell somewhere in your area. Here's their website: http://www.organicfo....com/index2.htm

And the bread I mentioned is from: http://www.outsidethebreadbox.com/

#19 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:56 AM

I wonder if the high stress activities in my youth contributed to the level of the disease I have now. I thrived on surfing big waves, and even remember surfing while houses were being torn apart by the extreme surf. I also remember having good days and bad days. I gave up surfing around the age of 22, because I thought it was the surfing that was giving me health problems. There were also many stressful nonconformist activities in my youth.

Now, at the age of 45, I try my best to keep my stress levels to a minimum. When I cross boarders, and go through military check points, I do everything by the book. I try not to take expensive toys with me, and carry full insurance. If a soldier wants to steal something from me, I just donít care.

#20 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:49 PM

Hi All,

I know it has been awhile since anyone has written on this topic so I hope you're all still out there. I've got my first (road) race coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm still struggling with finding the right diet to give me endurance and to avoid cramping (I cannot eat bananas). I am finding more things to munch on rides, Jerry thank you for posting the link for those bars.

Someone asked before how people cope with the training lost due to being Celiac Whacked (as I call it)--right now I just get frustrated. I'll go out and do an easy ride by myself (with lots of potential restrooms near) just so I get out. If I really feel bad I'll just go for a walk, hoping that if I take care of myself that one day I'll be able to really ride again soon.

Take Care, Liz

#21 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:56 AM

hey liz-
good luck on your upcoming race. I absolutley feel your frustration when there are setbacks. It is hard to be working so hardat eating right, and trying to train, and get sick and lose all that progress and work. I geuss for me I look at it as an exercise in patience. (not my strong suit!)

thanks for adding to the post. I have been craving word from other athletes who struggle with this.

Libby

#22 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:34 PM

Hi Libby and All,

Once again I know people haven't wrote on this issue for awhile, but hopefully you're all still reading this board. I had my first race this weekend (road bike), I placed second for my age catagory:) I was really worried if I would be able to sustain my energy because I had been "Celiac Whacked" about 5 days before. After that day I was extremely very CAREFUL about what I ate (I'm always careful, but I really increased my attention to my food and cross contamination) and I ate a ton of food to try to gain more energy. I felt fine on race day.

Someone one had asked about sport drinks: I've been buying Knudsen Family Organic Recharge Lemon Thirst Quencher (contains electrolytes). I like it, I do water it down by 50%.

Hope your season is going well! Your comments are great, it is nice to know that I'm not the only person trying to balance celiac disease and sports.

Thanks, Liz

#23 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:47 AM

Hi Liz,

Sounds like you are doing good. Last year in the Yucatan I did really good with the free dives and the scuba diving. I did a 60 foot free dive with no problem. This year I feel even better and who knows, maybe a 75 foot? I don't push myself but I've always been like a fish in the water.

I did have problems with the high elevation hiking at Great Basin National Park this fall, but that could of been more because of being out of shape, after a lazy summer, and at 13 thousand feet the air gets a little thin.

#24 aaascr

aaascr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

I am newly diagnosed celiac disease and allergic to most proteins - so far have found Nutiva's Shelled Hemp (different species) Seed gluten-free products not to bother me. I was and am back to playing soccer and working out in the gym - I'm not back to the top of my game yet, but I am working on it. Nutiva.com is the website.
Anybody find an gluten-free energy drink?
Thanks,
aa

#25 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 08:20 PM

Hi All,

Aaascr, I'm excited to look into Nutiva's Hemp gluten-free products, thanks for the info. Hemp is supposed to be quite the wonderfood. You asked about energy drinks, do you mean like the protein energy drinks or the electrolyte replacement energy drinks? If it is electrolyte repl.--Gatorade is gluten-free according to the call I placed to their manufacturer in September. I can't do Gatorade personally, it hurts my tummy:) I love Knudson's Recharge Lemon/Lime flavor.

Travelthomas, thanks for the positive words. Good luck with the diving.

Everyone, I'd love to hear what other celiac endurance athletes/celiacs involved in sports munch on for regular non-workout snacks. I feel like I am perpetually eating. And I'd love to add new snacks to my diet for variety. I've been doing a lot of natural pb with apples, fruit leather, rice cakes with pb or preserves or hummus, homemade gluten-free non-refined sugar choc. chip or snickerdoodle cookies, soy milk. What are you guys snacking on to keep up your calorie intake?

Thanks, Liz

#26 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:43 PM

Hi Liz,

Because I spend so much time in third world countries I rely on nuts, fruit and dried fish. In Mexico my last girlfriend reffered to the dry fish as "emergency food." It sounded so cute with her French accent, but that fish tasted like bleached paper! :P

The fish in Thailand was excellent.

#27 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:19 PM

Hello to all,

before i was diagnosed with celiac disease, i really had a bad condition, although i had to run 2 to 3 times a week in police school and i was in the german kickboxing national team from 1994 until 2003 with regular training almost every day. Sometimes i had problems to run one entire kilometer. And in training i had frequent breakdowns. I live in the states since last year november and i am glutenfree since this year in July. Since this time i'm also building up my body again. My big goal is to be in the american national team. The next world championships are next year September/October in Toronto/Canada. I want to be ready for that and hope to be better than ever. My "secret" in building my body up is to eat lots of potatoes and rice noodles and to drink water, teas and juices/smoothies (no coke and other unhealthy stuff) during my training period before tournaments. Then the night before the tournament i eat a big bowl of icecream. A build up for body (carbs) as well as for brain to give me a "reward" for the hard training. Then to get me going during the tournament and the mostly long waiting times i take bananas, gluten-free bars, gluten-free pretzels, pan cakes and gatorade with me. The last tournaments so far were overwhelming. My condition is much better. Before i broke down pretty much after 10 seconds. Now the fight is over and i say "already"? That's pretty cool. My biggest success since going glutenfree was winning one grandchampion and getting a cup that's taller than i am. When i stand up straight and holp up one arm straight in the air i can reach the top of the cup. I'm 5'3"...

I can just encourage you to keep on training and get rest, when you need it. And i can pretty much guarantee you, you will have success.

I wish you guys good luck so far in your training and competitions/runs.

Stephanie
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#28 curiousJ

curiousJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:09 AM

Hi there - Good to see so many athletic people out there! I'm definitely on a high today after having run a PR in my 18th marathon this past Sunday (3:16)... This is by far my best time for 8 years or so & I'll attribute it to the gluten-free diet - which I started after being diagnosed with celiac in August - (and getting my iron levels up)! Sorry for that "outburst" but I'm just so excited!

As far as good gluten-free snacks go - I like Balance bars and the fruit & nut Boomi bars. Trail mix is great as well. I haven't tried any of the gluten-free breads yet, but I've found that muffins made with gluten-free pancake/baking mix are quite good (I like making them with apples and raisins). I also have an incredible sweet tooth, so I like keeping a stash of hard candies around (I know a fellow marathoner who likes to take skittles along during long training runs).

I've found that sports drinks (like gatoraid) and sports gels tend to make my stomach cramp... I find if I eat well a couple hours before I race, water is enough to keep me going though. Then I continuously "snack" after I'm done.

As far as the "Runners' Runs" problem - I get that sometimes too (not as often after having gone gluten-free, though)... Usually, I just try to make sure that my route goes by a good place to stop. Although I always hear that it's bad to do this, I like to snack right up to when I go to sleep... That way, I seem to have the most energy when I run early in the morning. Another thing you might try if you have the time is to go for a short walk before your main run - sort of a warm-up.

Anyway - Happy trails!

#29 veggf

veggf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:41 PM

Hi All,

Hope everyone is enjoying the fall season!

CuriousJ--That is a great PR, you should shout about it! :D I'm so glad to hear from other endurance athletes w/celiac disease and to hear it is going well with Celiac athletes.

Stef...--Potatoes are a good idea...I had a baked potato after a ride (after my post-ride protein) and the potato really hit the spot...all those yummy carbs.

Everyone--I'm frustrated today, got really "celiac whacked" so my ride today was short :( Does anyone know of books on sports nutrition for Celiacs or expert nutrionists on sports nutrition for Celiacs? I've been running into nutrition/med/training prof. who either know one or the other, but not both.

Take Care, Liz

#30 pturse

pturse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:00 PM

Which Balance Bars do you eat that are Gluten Free?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: