Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  




Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:




Ads by Google:






   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

When Should I Get My Girls Tested?
0

8 posts in this topic

I am in the process of getting diagnosed with celiac disease. I haven't heard from Doc and all blood panels where very high - so I have a very good chance that it is.

My girls are 5 & 3. When should I get them tested? Their doctor says they are probably to young unless they have symptoms. Maddi does get Headaches and egsima which I don't know is unrelated or not. El - seems fine. Should I wait on that? Also would my insurance cover it (generally?)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:

Yes, they should be tested now. It's much better to find this early so as to better protect their adult health. All your first degree relatives should be tested.

Your insurance should cover it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We decided to test my 2 (almost 3) year old after my 4 year old was diagnosed. We're waiting on the results. I know there's a strong chance of it being a false negative but what if it was positive? And according to symptoms, it sounds like they're all over the place and even the doctors/dietician we met with say some say they have no symptoms but once they go gluten-free they realize there were symptoms.

If he does test neg, I plan on genetic testing to see if it's something we even need to worry about.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The testing is a good base for future but remember that it is very hard for children that young to test positive by blood. So if they both test negative, don't take this as they don't or never will have celiac disease. They still can have it or suffer from it in the future so keep an eye on them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. I had my 5 year old tested and found out that she was normal. Right now that is. I think their suggestion was to wait 3 years b/f the next test. I am thinking of waiting a little bit with my 3 year old. The GP suggested this. Of course if I start seeing something that could link them together then I will opt for testing immediately.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




After my 4 year old's diagnosis his pediatrician suggested no on testing my 2 year old. But we decided to go ahead. Guess what? Positive! I figured it's just some blood work. Nothing traumatic.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to decide if I should get my just-turned-3 daughter tested. Her 5 year old sister and I were recently tested with Enterolab, and while we were negative for the main celiac genes, we were both making Anti-gliadin IgA and Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA. Part of our concern is if these results will affect their future insurability. Have you experienced any problems with this?

(We have noticed vast improvements in the 5 year old's behavior, and she wasn't badly behaved to begin with. She notices her tummy hurts her much less than it used to. She and I have been gluten free for about 2 weeks).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be going against the flow here...

BUT this is what I've decided, for better or worse.

My son who is 4 took the genetic test and while his bloods were being taken they had to literally push the blood out and it was nasty. It ends up he has both genetic markers so it was a good thing he got tested. He is a different boy now he's gluten free, so much healthier. I don't regret taking him off gluten but I do so wish he didn't have to suffer the blood test but it was the only way to get the ped's to take any notice as they had previously decided they didn't want him to go through with the testing and have him symptomatic (not on my time).

But now my daughter who is just over 2 years has been taken off dairy and is getting worse, a lot worse. Yes, its a nasty business no doubt. But I am not sure I want her to go for her bloods just yet since they had so much trouble with Ravens her big bro. So at this stage she's just going to go gluten-free and when she's bigger we'll get her the full bloods (how can it hurt to wait? less torture at the moment). Going off gluten will show one way or another if she is or not anyway.

That was a few days ago .. we'd just been at the dr's about her and found out she's lost nearly 2 kilos in a month poor darling. I noticed at the pharmacy (the dr wants her to go on nasty flagyl even though there was no parasites in her faeces - that there's a new test to determine gluten sensitviity - its $30 a pop AUD, but it's worth it as its just a simple prick of the finger, a drop of blood and we've decided to go for that as an option! We'll gradually test all of the children, all but two are symptomatic (thats 3 of 5). I know it seems rediculous as it suppose to be one in 10 siblings or something isn't it?

Anyway I am rambling. I would rather wait til shes older than have a huge blood test at this stage... :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
0

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      104,329
    • Total Posts
      920,425
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Hi, Ok good advice and I am sincere when I say how much I appreciate a lot of the responses, advice and encouragement that have been posted here. I'm not sure what a nutrionist is but a dietician (here in the U.K.) is a heavily regulated medical profession and my dietician is based most of her week in a hospital where doctors and MD's as they are known refer patients to her for help. She works every day with celiacs, dh sufferers and people with crohns, ibs etc and seeing my skin, listened to what I was saying (particularly about how my redness and blisters resolved on a gluten free (though not wheat free) diet for several years, and sent a report to my doctor/MD requesting a battery of tests - tests that can indicate dh, celiac and associated complications. I also have a friend with a wheat allergy and two with celiac (all diagnosed) and they are encouraging me to go ahead with getting these particular tests. So that's great but reading the above quote that suggests that situations like sharing an oven used to cook gluten-containing pizza, should not cause a gluten reaction. I thought, my god what's the point of going through these tests if my recent reactions aren't actually to do with gluten. Although my dietician is concerned about possible dh and has been through years of medical school, I also really trust the advice of an advanced member on this site and if they think oven-sharing shouldn't cause any gluten reaction, what hope do I have with an MD? It has taken me years to pluck up the confidence to ask for any medical help because I feared that sort of response along with a focus on psychological issues and hormones etc early on in the thread (even though, I only started feeling depressed since yesterday). Actually, I'm a mental health nurse so it's good to see people are alert to these issues but I am also pretty familiar with depression and I know that many people with physical health problems are fobbed off by doctors with talk of depression, stress, and hormones. I'm sorry that I took the (above) quote to heart and I know that I allowed that to colour my perception of the whole thread, which has been helpful in many ways. Best wishes to you all, even those I didn't agree with! Rhian 
    • I thought maybe doing a trial period to see if he reacts positively to being gluten free and then adding it back to see if symptoms come back would maybe be helpful to the doctor? But I guess that's true, it might skew things regarding any future tests that might be warranted. 
    • If you haven't had her tested yet please do not go gluten free. Get the celiac testing first as if she does feel better gluten free when she has to go back on gluten for testing she may have much worse symptoms.  There will also be a higher risk of false negatives.
    • I did not mean to imply that you should put him on a gluten free diet.    If you suspect a problem with gluten, please get an opinion from a GI who is celiac savvy.  All celiac testing requires a patient to be consuming gluten.  The slightly equivocal TTG?  That warrants a gene test at the very least.   http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/Celiac_Disease_Diagnostic_Testing_Algorithm.pdf  
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Entries

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      61,386
    • Most Online
      1,763

    Newest Member
    Windsurf
    Joined